Digital Services Librarian
Professional Resource Faculty
MacEwan University inspires students through a powerful combination of academic excellence and personal learning experiences. Located in culturally enriched, downtown Edmonton, our comprehensive undergraduate university offers over 65 programs to 19,000 full- and part-time students. With a dedication to teaching excellence informed by scholarly research and creative activity, MacEwan provides an exceptional collaborative and supportive learning environment with a commitment to environmental sustainability and opportunities for community engagement. In support of faculty professional development, unique and enhanced services are provided through the Centre for the Advancement of Faculty Excellence (CAFÉ).
MacEwan University Library invites applications for a full-time probationary Librarian appointment at the City Centre Campus. The successful applicant will be innovative and creative, providing leadership and direction in the development and implementation of leading edge user centered digital library services. Working collaboratively with the library technology team, other library colleagues, as well as campus departments and external partners, the successful candidate will participate in digital projects that further the Library’s mission to incorporate new and innovative technologies which enhance access to resources and services.
MacEwan Library currently deploys a number of access and empowerment tools in an integrated web presence, bringing together borrower information, electronic reserves, library guides, interactive help, interlibrary loan, unified discovery, link resolving and media streaming. Centralized authentication and proxy access to resources forms the core of these digital services. We support research and publication through an institutional repository, digital archives, and an open journal system.
The successful candidate will:
• Lead the development and implementation of library digital services in collaboration with stakeholders
• Develop business cases for library technology initiatives
• Develop project charters and implementation plans, and manage projects through their lifecycle
• Serve as team lead of the library technology unit, setting priorities and coordinating work flow
• Explore and assess new digital applications maintaining awareness of best practices related to information technology in libraries
• Provide ongoing conceptual development of the library website
• Lead an internal library web advisory stakeholder group
• Design, develop, and implement solutions that integrate existing library discovery tools with new technologies and approaches (such as open source software solutions, APIs) to create a seamless discovery experience
• Participate in library, university, and external committees
• Participate in the delivery of reference and instructional services
Applicants must hold a Master’s degree from an ALA accredited school of library/information science and have five years of related professional experience, preferably in an academic setting.
Other desired qualities and experience:
• Demonstrated record of success leading technology projects
• Demonstrated experience with content management systems such as Drupal
• Have awareness of usability, accessibility and user experience best practices and standards
• Have proven ability to effectively manage multiple projects in a dynamic work environment
• Demonstrated ability to work in a highly collaborative environment and to lead teams
• Knowledge and understanding of emerging trends and issues related to digital scholarship, access and preservation of digital collections, data curation, discovery services, web applications and design, and instructional media
• Self-directed and flexible, with the ability to work independently
• Superior oral and written communication skills along with strong interpersonal skills
• Strong commitment to professional development and service to the profession
Applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and a portfolio or representative sample of work.
A review of applications will begin August 26, 2015.
This position is included under the Faculty Association collective agreement.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
|Category||Professional Resource Faculty|
|Salary||Commensurate with education and experience|
|Closing Date||August 23, 2015|
|Apply In Person/By Mail||
Human Resources Department
University Services Centre
Rm. 10-600, 10700 - 104 Avenue
Edmonton AB T5J 4S2
Fax: (780) 497-5430
|Apply Online||Apply Now|
Personal Information Collection Notification
Personal information is being collected to determine your qualifications for employment and used to manage the staffing program of Grant MacEwan University. This information is collected, used and protected under the authority of and in accordance with the provisions of the Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. It may be provided to non-HR members of a hiring and interview panel if your application advances to that stage of the hiring process. If you have any questions about these arrangements, please contact: Assistant Director, Human Resources, Human Resources Department, University Services Centre, Rm. 10-600, 10700-104 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 4S2 or phone (780) 497-5434.