Fitness and Lifestyle Consultant II
MacEwan Sport & Wellness
MacEwan University inspires students with a powerful combination of academic excellence and personal learning experiences – ours is a connected culture that focuses on learner-centred teaching, and on providing opportunities for students to grow and achieve.
The university provides a transformative education in a creative, collaborative and supportive learning environment. 19,000 full- and part-time students are enrolled in more than 65 programs: four-year undergraduate degrees, applied degrees, university transfer programs and one- and two-year diploma and certificates. Additional offerings include preparation for university and college, English as a Second Language, professional and personal development courses and workshops, corporate training and the Alberta College Conservatory of Music.
The Fitness and Lifestyle Consultant is responsible for working as a part of a team in the fitness centre, providing high quality service to students, staff, faculty and public members, assisting them with their fitness and health achievements. This may also include instructing group and/or specialty classes as well as teaching seminars and presenting at special events on campus. The successful candidate will work with clients by way of fitness testing, personal training and exercise prescription as well as monitor the fitness floor including cleaning and preventative maintenance work.
• Have strong interpersonal, communication, problem-solving and leadership skills
• Be flexible, self-motivated, and able to work independently
• Confident in fitness testing and the prescription of exercise to meet clients needs
• Creative and able to problem solve
• Organization and prioritization skills
• Able to work with diverse individuals
• Strong presentation skills
• Working knowledge of word, publisher, excel, MS office applications
• Knowledge of the CLASS operating system an asset
• Undergraduate degree in Physical Education, Kinesiology or other Health related fields preferred
• Minimum 6 months of practical experience in a fitness area setting, group/specialty class instruction; demonstrative knowledge in exercise program development, fitness testing, and experience in delivery of workshops
• Be certified as a Certified Exercise Physiologist (CEP) with the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology
• Be certified with the Alberta Fitness Leadership Certification Association (AFLCA) in the specialty areas of Group Fitness; Resistance Training an asset; equivalencies will be considered
• Have a current Standard First Aid/CPR C; AED and Oxygen Administration an asset
• Be available to work a five day work week, including the possibility of weekend shifts, covering early afternoon and evening hours (ranging from 12-11:00 pm). These shifts are subject to change and the successful candidate must be flexible to work all operational hours of the Centre.
When you become part of the MacEwan team, you will enjoy a competitive salary, and:
• Generous vacation time
• Secure pension plan
• Excellent benefits package
• Effective recognition and retention programs
• Continuous learning culture
• Opportunities for career growth
You can view the benefits using this link: www.macewan.ca/benefits
This position is included under the MacEwan Staff Association collective agreement.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
|Category||Full-Time Continuing with the need for flexibility in hours, including weekends|
|Salary||$52,034 to $67,645 per annum|
|Closing Date||Tuesday, January 6, 2015|
|Apply In Person/By Mail||
Human Resources Department
University Services Centre
Rm. 10-600, 10700 - 104 Avenue
Edmonton AB T5J 4S2
Fax: (780) 497-5430
|Apply Online||Apply Now|
Personal Information Collection Notification
Personal information is being collected to determine your qualifications for employment and used to manage the staffing program of Grant MacEwan University. This information is collected, used and protected under the authority of and in accordance with the provisions of the Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. It may be provided to non-HR members of a hiring and interview panel if your application advances to that stage of the hiring process. If you have any questions about these arrangements, please contact: Assistant Director, Human Resources, Human Resources Department, University Services Centre, Rm. 10-600, 10700-104 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 4S2 or phone (780) 497-5434.