Fitness CentreEarly facility closure May 4 at 5 p.m. for facility in-service.
Join us for a workout in a comfortable, bright environment suitable for all health needs. Our 7,000-square-foot fitness area features a wide variety of new cardio machines, free weights, specialty fitness equipment like kettlebells, TRXs and ViPRs and strength equipment. The centre is suitable for clients of all abilities and experience.
The new 2,000 sq. ft Performance Zone features three lifting racks and an official Olympic lifting platform so you can do deadlifts, squats and other powerlifts. The new space also includes two spin bikes, hand-cranks and treadmills to help get you warmed-up for your workout, a wall designed for med ball throws and a TRX mount. There are two functional fitness pulley machines, open floor space for plyometrics, and a ladder painted into the floor for agility training.
The Performance Zone is home to new fitness equipment including ViPRs, heavy ropes, sandbells and kettlebells.
MacEwan University Sport and Wellness is an AFAC (Accredited Fitness Appraisal Centre) accredited fitness facility which meets CSEP (Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology) standards of operating and safety procedures.
Accredited Centres must employ a CSEP-CEP (Certified Exercise Physiologist) as the Director of its physical activity, fitness and lifestyle appraisal operations and may employ CSEP-CEP apprentices to work under the direction of the CSEP-CEP.
Fitness Area General Rules
- Fitness centre patrons must wear clean proper workout attire - no street clothes, jeans or clothing with offensive wording are permitted.
- All footwear must be clean. Outdoor footwear is strictly prohibited. Open-toed shoes, open-backed shoes, boots, sandals, or casual shoes are not permitted.
- Bags and personal items are not allowed in the fitness area. All bags and personal items are to be stored and locked in the change room lockers. MacEwan University is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
- Please refrain from bringing food into the fitness area. All beverages must be in a sealable non-glass container.
- For sanitary reason members must observe proper personal hygiene by showering regularly and wearing clean clothing.
- Please refrain from spitting in the water fountains and dispose of all refuse in the provided receptacles.
- Chalk is not permitted in the main cardio and free weight areas. Chalk may only be used on the Olympic platform in the ‘Performance Zone’ and stored in the chalk bin provided.
- Youth aged 12-15 must be accompanied at all times by a parent or guardian over the age of 18. Anyone under the age of 12 is not permitted in the fitness area. Please ask staff for further details.
- The use of cameras and video recording devices is not permitted in the fitness center without documented approval from the University.
- MacEwan University Sport and Wellness does NOT allow personal training by external trainers.
- Please report any injury, accident or equipment breakdown to the fitness staff immediately.
- Use of outside equipment must be approved by the Fitness staff before usage in the facility.
- All participants are to comply with fitness centre staff directives regarding enforcement of all of the rules and policies stated above.
South Campus students who pay the Sport and Wellness Fee* as part of their tuition have access to the South Campus fitness area and MacEwan Sport and Wellness at City Centre Campus. The South Campus fitness area is NOT open to the public or to students from other MacEwan campuses.
South Campus fitness area hours of operation:
Mon - Fri: 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
The new layout in the South Campus fitness area includes new cardio equipment, selectorized strength equipment, a free weight area and a stretching area.
Fitness Equipment includes:
- New cardio with monitors and iPod compatibility
- Cable cross-over station with lat pulldown and low row
- Selectorized weight machines - seated leg press, chest press, leg curl/ext and chin/dip machine
- Dumbbells from 5-100 lbs
- Squat rack
- Olympic platform with rubber weight plates
- Flat and incline bench presses with Olympic bars and weight plates
- Weight benches, easy curl bars
- Mats, medicine balls, fit ball, BOSU ball
The new layout in the CFTA fitness area will include a cardio section, a selectorized strength section, a free weight area and a stretching area.
Fitness Equipment includes:
- New cardio pieces with monitors (ipod compatible)
- Paramount functional trainer
- New strength equipment
- Dumbbells from 5-50lbs
- Olympic bar with bench press and weight plates
- Leg Press
- Weight benches
- Mats, medicine balls, fit ball, easy curl bar
CFAC students who pay the Sport and Wellness Fee* as part of their tuition have access to the CFAC fitness room and MacEwan Sport and Wellness at City Centre Campus. The CFAC campus fitness room is NOT open to the public or to students from other MacEwan campuses.