Sport Clubs are student-led organizations that provide an opportunity for MacEwan University students and members to pursue their interest in sporting activities.
All fee and registration documents are to be completed, in-person, at the Welcome Desk in Building 8. To be eligible as a MacEwan University student, you must be enrolled in at least 6 credits or more per semester. To be eligible as a MUSW Member, you must have an active membership in the MacEwan University Sport and Wellness facilities.
Current Sport Clubs
Competitive Sport Clubs:
- must belong to an organized league and aim to win national championships.
- must secure the services of a certified coach and are only open to MacEwan University Students.
- can only be considered for this classification after successfully completing a minimum of one year as a semi-competitive club.
- may hold try-outs for membership.
- aim to compete at a local or provincial level.
- have the option of securing the services of a certified coach, but this is not required.
- are open to all members of Sport and Wellness but must have a membership composed of at least 60% MacEwan University Students.
- may not hold try-outs.
There are currently no competitive clubs at MacEwan University.
- provide opportunities for social interaction, skill development and friendly competition.
- do not travel for competition and may only engage in intra-club competition.
- are open to all members of Sport and Wellness but must have a membership composed of at least 40% MacEwan University Students.
- President: Ryley Russell RussellR24@mymacEwan.ca
- Vice President: Jordyn Baldry BaldryJ3@mymacEwan.ca
- Vice President: Chris Maier MaierC@mymacEwan.ca
- Treasurer: Megan Monilaws MonilawsM3@mymacEwan.ca
- Risk Management Officer: Rachel Boyle BoyleR6@mymacEwan.ca
|To Dec 31, 2017||92941||Student $10|
|To Jun 30, 2018||92942||Student $15|
Members only Facebook group.
- President: Greg Reid firstname.lastname@example.org
- Risk Management Officer: Savannah Stenberg email@example.com
- Treasurer: Mitch Boisvert firstname.lastname@example.org
- Public Relations: Andrew Sperling email@example.com
- Public Relations: Sarah Karasiuk firstname.lastname@example.org
- Equipment Manager: John Mulvany-Robbins email@example.com
|To Dec 31, 2017||93013||Student $15|
|To Jun 30, 2018||93014||Student $25|
Members only Facebook group.
- President: Wesley McCormick: McCormickW3@mymacEwan.ca
- Risk Management Officer: Shaz Ijaz: IjazS@mymacEwan.ca
- Treasurer: Bill Sun: SunB9@mymacEwan.ca
- Secretary: Kenny Le: LeK26@mymacEwan.ca
|To Dec 31, 2017||92941||Student $5|
|To Jun 30, 2018||92942||Student $10|
Members only Facebook group.
- MacEwan University students who have paid their Sport and Wellness fee are eligible to participate in a Sport Club.
- MacEwan University students who have not paid their Sport and Wellness fee are eligible to participate in a Sport Club if they purchase a MacEwan University Sport and Wellness membership or, where possible, opt-in to the Sport and Wellness Fee.
- All Sport and Wellness members (including employees, alumni, and public) may be eligible to participate in the Sport Club program, depending on the classification of the Sport Club and league requirements.
- Only individuals 18 years or older, with the exception of current MacEwan University students, are eligible to participate in Sport Clubs
- Interuniversity athletes are eligible for membership in Sport Clubs. It is strongly encouraged that interuniversity athletes provide written notification to their coach and check policies of the governing body (league, association, etc...) prior to joining Club.
- Club Members must abide by all policies, rules and procedures established by MacEwan University, including but not limited to, the Student Rights and Responsibilities and the Sport Club Handbook.
- Be respectful of MacEwan University staff, Sport Club participants, opponents, fans, and members;
- Advocate role modeling and sportsmanship for other teams and institutions.
- Individuals who are members of aquatic-based Sport Clubs are required to pass a swimming test prior to acceptance into the Sport Club. Sport Club staff and the MUSW Aquatic Supervisor will work with the Sport Club officers to organize a testing plan.
- Due to the various risks involved with Sport Clubs, Sport Club staff may initiate different requirements that Sport Club members will have to adhere to that may not be listed in this handbook.
- Along with the guidelines for membership outlined in the Sport Club handbook, Sport Club members are required to comply with the guidelines as set forth by national/provincial sport organizations.
- Failure to meet these requirements will result in disciplinary action (Section 12) against the member and/or the Club.
Application and Renewal Process
Application Deadline: October 15
Renewal Application: March 15
Make sure you and the other members of the proposed Sport Club meet the guidelines of the Eligibility and Requirements sections. The handbook contains details on club expectations and how to deal with any issues that come up.
Read the Sport Club Handbook
Email Marty Nedjelski, Recreation Supervisor, to set-up a meeting. In this meeting we will discuss forms and club constitution.
Acceptance of the Sport Club registration package does not constitute recognition of an individual club.
Complete the following required forms:
Sport Club Budget Template
Risk Management Plan Template
Club Constitution Template
Sport Club staff will notify club leadership of decision regarding recognition as a member of the Sport Club program.
The Sport Club staff will consider the information submitted in the registration package and will make a decision based on the following factors:
- Satisfactory completion of the registration package;
- Availability of facilities, equipment and university finances;
- Financial Feasibility – the club’s ability to financially support their proposed activities;
- The degree of student interest in the proposed club;
- Safety and Risk Assessment;
- Bench marking current standards of club recognition with peer institutions;
- The availability of adequate competition within reasonable travel distance from MacEwan University (competitive and semi-competitive clubs only);
- Other factors as decided by Sport Club staff in their discretion.
For more information on Sport Clubs please contact Recreation Staff:
Marty Nedjelski - Recreation Supervisor