News and Announcements
Visit our News section for announcements and news about programs, construction and changes in hours.
Fitness and Aquatic Centre
At MacEwan University Sport and Wellness, we pride ourselves on inspiring and enabling you to achieve your health and lifestyle goals. We service the health and wellness needs of MacEwan University students, employees, alumni and the general public.
We work passionately to support the life aspirations of our clients. Our diverse and targeted programs and services anticipate and respond to our client's needs while promoting personal growth and active, balanced lifestyles.
MacEwan University Sport and Wellness is located downtown Edmonton, Alberta in the Christenson Family Centre for Sport and Wellness. Our accredited fitness and aquatic facility hosts a newly expanded 7,000 square foot fitness area, a six-lane 25-metre pool with teach area, a 40-person hot tub, a beautiful three-court gymnasium, steam rooms, fitness studios and a spin studio.
Programs and Facilities
MacEwan University Sport and Wellness offers a wide variety of programs and services for students, staff and public, including:
- Fitness Centre (7,000 sq. ft with new strength and cardio equipment)
- Pool (6-lane, 25m, teaching pool, 40-person hot tub)
- Aquatics Programming (value-added programming, registered programs, lessons and certifications)
- MacEwan University Recreation (intramural leagues, tournaments and events)
- Fitness Programs and Training Services (public memberships, paid group fitness programming, drop-in classes, personal training)
- Gymnasium (available for public rentals or member use during open gym time)
- Spin Studio (several value-added classes throughout the week)
- Corporate Wellness Memberships and Programming (retreats, workshops and incentives)
- Athletics (home to the MacEwan University Griffins)
- MacEwan University Medical Clinic (open to students, staff and public)
MacEwan University students at Centre for the Arts and Communications Campus have access to the facility on their campus and City Centre. For access information, contact the Students' Association office at your campus or call MacEwan University Sport and Wellness at 780-497-5300.
In 1991, construction began that would transform the former Canadian National rail yards into MacEwan University's City Centre Campus. Two short years later, in May 1993, MacEwan Sport and Wellness became one of the first buildings on the new downtown campus to open its doors to students and the public.
In September 2009, thanks to a generous donation from the Christenson family, our building was renamed the Christenson Family Centre for Sport and Wellness.Here at Sport and Wellness, we strive to provide quality health and wellness programs and services to students, staff and the public. We are proud to be a part of MacEwan University's growth and tradition.
Most recently, in May 2012 the aquatics facility was closed until March 2013 in order to retrofit the pool to meet current lighting, mechanical and air handling standards. During that time, the fitness centre was expanded to meet the growing health and lifestyle needs of our members. The new 2,000 sq. ft Performance Zone features lifting racks,an official Olympic lifting platform spin bikes, treadmills to help get you warmed-up for your workout, a wall designed for med ball throws and a TRX mount. There are two functional fitness pulley machines, open floor space for plyometrics, and a ladder painted into the floor for agility training.