In December 2008 Grant MacEwan University launched an endowed fund for the Chair of International Health through its Ukrainian Resource and Development Centre. Drs. Peter and Doris Kule were the first donors and gifted $100,000 to establish the Chair. Their gift has been matched by the Ukrainian Foundation for College Education and Grant MacEwan University Foundation, increasing the endowment to $600,000. The target to be raised is $3.0 million.
The Chair of International Health in the Faculty of Health and Community Studies is managed by an Advisory and Steering Committee, including the URDC Director.
The work of the Chair of International Health is done in the Faculty of Health and Community Studies and will:
- Advance studies in international health at Grant MacEwan University.
- Carry out applied research projects on issues in international health.
- Organize and manage applied international health projects.
- Disseminate knowledge through publications, lectures and teaching in Canada and abroad.
- In the context of world-wide health topics, give priority to health issues in Ukraine and Eastern Europe.
- Liaise with professional health organizations.
- Promote education and public interest in international health.
Dr. Roxolana Horbowyj lectures at MacEwan on helping rural communities in Ukraine through electronic rounds for physicians.
Dr. Roman Petryshyn delivered a speech at the XL Scientific Convention of the Ukrainian Medical Association of North America (UMANA) in Vancouver.
Dr. Oleksander Khvysyuk, Kharkiv Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education attends conference in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
Dr. Roman Petryshyn participated in the XIII Congress of World Federation of Ukrainian Medical Association (WFUMA) in Lviv, Ukraine