- URDC continuously creates new, and manages other projects in education, business, agriculture, health, and community development on national and international levels. Currently, we are involved in a numbers of small and larger scale projects and initiatives.
Centre for the Advancement of Deaf Education
URDC sponsored and organized the year-long visit of a teacher from the Mariya Pokrova School for the Deaf in Lviv, Ukraine to Edmonton in 1998-99. The visit established relationships among the deaf and hard of hearing community and schools in Edmonton and Lviv. Projects developed as a result of this visit include:
- research and development of Ukrainian Sign Language
- English instruction for deaf students
- provision of hearing aids to deaf Ukrainian students
- a summer institutes for deaf Ukrainian students, their parents and teachers 2000-2011.
URDC funded the creation of the Centre for the Advancement of Deaf Education (CADE) at Mariya Pokrova in Lviv.
Canada Ukraine Alliance for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Persons
URDC facilitated the creation of the Canada-Ukraine Alliance for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Persons (CUADHHP) which now exists to coordinate projects that enhance education opportunities for the deaf in Ukraine. READ MORE
Canada / Ukraine Research Team (CURT)
- In November 2003, URDC and researchers from the Faculty of Education, University of Alberta established a joint research team to conduct studies on the education of children with disabilities in Ukraine.
- CURT signed a cooperation agreement with the Institute of Special Pedagogy (Kyiv) in Edmonton in February 2004.
- Every year, URDC hosts Ukrainian researchers and scholars to share experiences and expertise. About twenty graduate students from Ukraine received Alberta international Awards and had placements on CURT issues.
Inclusive Education for Children with Disabilities in Ukraine project
The Inclusive Education for Children with Disabilities in Ukraine project, funded in part by the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), was established as a partnership of two Canadian organizations in cooperation with three national organizations in Ukraine. The Ukrainian Resource and Development Centre (URDC) at Grant MacEwan University and the Canadian Centre on Disability Studies (CCDS) in Winnipeg both have roles in the project. The project has three main components: civil society, education and policy development.
With implementation between April 2008 and March 2013, the project's mission is to strengthen the capacity of targeted institutions to develop inclusion policies for children with disabilities, establish inclusive education programs and strengthen civil society to advocate and deliver services.
Read the project report (.pdf). To learn more visit the project website at http://education-inclusive.com. Please also take a look at the videos prepared by our pilot schools that demonstrate some interim results of the current "Inclusive Education for Children with Disabilities in Ukraine" project:
- Lviv School 95: Documentary Video 2. A School that Gives Hope (Production date - October 2011)
- Simferopol School 3: Documentary Video 1 (Production date - May 2011
Canadian Studies Centre at National University “Kyiv Mohyla Academy” (NaUKMA)
URDC and MacEwan have long established relationships with NaUKMA (Ukraine) in the areas of second language education and humanities. In 2010, NaUKMA opened a Centre of Canadian Studies which fosters Canada – Ukraine scholarly exchanges and cooperation.
URDC’s operating principle is to work closely with community organizations. The director of URDC is involved in various project initiatives with the Canada Ukraine Foundation (CUF) ; the Ukrainian Canadian Congress-Alberta Provincial Council (UCC-APC) – Canada Ukraine Chamber of Commerce (CUCC) – the Alberta Ukrainian Learning Association (AULA); the Canada Ukraine Alliance for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Persons (CUADHHP) ; and others.
Community Development Partners
Alberta Council for the Ukrainian Arts(ACUA)
Alberta Ukraine Language Association (AULA)
Ukrainian Music Society of Alberta
Albert Ukrainian Dance Association(AUDA)
Ukrainian Canadian Congress(UCC)/UCC Alberta Provincial Council
Ukrainian Canadian Professional and Business Federation(UCPBF)
Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies(CIUS)
Canada Ukraine Alliance for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Persons
Ukrainian Language Education Centre (ULEC)
Canada Ukraine Research Team (CURT)
Ukrainian Canadian Research and Documentation Centre
Ukrainian Canadian Foundation of Taras Shevchenko(UCFTS)
Canada Ukraine Foundation(CUF)
Canada Ukraine Chamber of Commerce (CUCC)
Ukrainian Foundation for College Education(UFCE)/UFCE Trust
Ukrainian Knowledge Internet Portal Consortium Association (UKIPCA)
International University Partners
Ivan Franko National University of Lviv, Ukraine
Institute of Special Education, Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of Ukraine
Drahomanov National Pedagogical University, Ukraine
National University “Kyiv Mohyla Academy”, Ukraine