Principles of Responsible Management Education (PRME) is a project associated with the United Nations Global Compact to provide a platform for business schools around the world to integrate a set of principles of responsible management education into their operations.
The PRME initiative was presented as a coherent project at the Global Leaders Summit in Geneva, Switzerland in 2007 in the presence of more than 1000 business, civil society, and government leaders. By participating in PRME, MacEwan joins hundreds of educational institutions and associations from around the world committed to achieving a more inclusive and sustainable global economy.
By signing on to PRME, MacEwan School of Business commits to transforming its curricula, research and teaching methods in order to engage in universally recognized values in the areas of human rights, labour rights, environmental sustainability and anti-corruption. MacEwan’s participation in PRME includes a range of projects and involvement opportunities for faculty and students in Edmonton and overseas including conferences, speakers, project sponsorships and educational events.
Check out what the School of Business has done to support the PRME initiative by downloading the 2015 SIP Report.
The 6 principles
For institutions involved in the education of current and future managers, who sign on to PRME, signing onto PRME signifies that they voluntarily commit to engage in a continuous process of improvement guided by the following principles and their application, and to report on their progress to foster practices of exchange with other academic institutions.
- Purpose: We will develop the capabilities of students to be future generators of sustainable value for business and society at large and to work for an inclusive and sustainable global economy.
- Values: We will incorporate into our academic activities and curricula the values of global social responsibility as portrayed in international initiatives such as the United Nations Global Compact.
- Method: We will create educational frameworks, materials, processes and environments that enable effective learning experiences for responsible leadership.
- Research: We will engage in conceptual and empirical research that advances our understanding about the role, dynamics, and impact of corporations in the creation of sustainable social, environmental and economic value.
- Partnership: We will interact with managers of business corporations to extend our knowledge of their challenges in meeting social and environmental responsibilities and to explore jointly effective approaches to meeting these challenges.
- Dialogue: We will facilitate and support dialog and debate among educators, business, government, consumers, media, civil society organizations and other interested groups and stakeholders on critical issues related to global social responsibility and sustainability.
For more information on PRME, visit unprme.org