Special needs educational assistants support students with learning differences, under the direction of a teacher, in optimizing learning potential within a variety of educational settings.
MacEwan University’s Special Needs Educational Assistant program prepares you to help children and youth in educational settings who have a wide range of abilities and exceptionalities. Our graduates have the skills and strategies to support the instructional, behavioural and social needs of students.
Theory in Practice
Our program of studies provides opportunities for students to learn and connect theory to their field practices in areas such:
- Classroom behavior support
- Strategies for working with students who have a wide range of physical, cognitive, social and emotional differences.
- Professional and ethical classroom practice
- Child and adolescent development
- Language Arts and math curricula
- Assistive and adaptive technology
The Special Needs Educational Assistant program is 8 months in length (full time). Students may also enroll in part time and distance delivery.