Education is an investment of time and money. Student loan programs are designed to help you reach your educational/career goal so you can experience the full range of university student life without having to work too much while you study.
The 2015/2016 online Alberta Student Loan application opens in early July.
To access student loans:
- Apply through your province/territory of residency. Applications open in early July for the upcoming academic year (for studies beginning on or after August 1).
- After applying you will receive a Student Award Letter and your Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement forms (MSFAA). Your Student Award letter lets you know how much your award will be for the year. You must fill out your MSFAA forms and take them to a designated Canada Post Outlet (list is included in the brown loan application envelope). You must have government issued photo identification (e.g. drivers' license or passport), government issued proof of social insurance number (SIN card) and banking information with you.
- Register in a full-time course load in all of your terms so MacEwan University can confirm your enrolment with your student loan provider. You must be accepted to your program to register in your courses.
- Don't pay twice! We will request your tuition to be sent directly from your loan provider if the tuition has not been paid. If you do not have enough funding from your loan provider for your tuition, you are responsible for the balance before the tuition deadline.
- Make a budget for the year.
You must apply for funding each academic year.
The above is the process for Student Aid Alberta funding -- some provinces and territories may differ slightly in their processes.
First-time loan applicant?
Visit Student Aid Alberta's Before You Apply site for information on student loan processes.