Current Students

There's a good chance you'll have lots of questions as you begin your post-secondary education. Reach out to a MacEwan advisor at any time. We're here to help.

If you have been accepted into a program and paid your admission confirmation deposit, you are considered a current student. Most current students get the help they need from their program advisors or from the Office of the University Registrar (OUR).

What kind of advisor?


general admission requirements, considering a new program, understanding enrolment, connecting to university resources

Academic Advising Centre

conversation icon

program planning information, transfer credit, majors and minors, program opportunities, special permissions

Faculty/School Advisors

If you aren't sure where to start and what university resources are here for you, you can check with us. 

If you know what you are looking for

For help with Contact
student records, enrolment questions, tuition and fees Office of the University Registrar
changing a course of study, considering a new program Academic Advising Centre
planning for the program you are in Faculty/School Advisors


Here are a few things to stay on top of as you navigate your first year.
Your course outline (or syllabus) is distributed in the first class of each course. It is an official outline of what you can expect to learn in the course and what is expected of you. It will outline deadlines for assignments and required readings. Refer to your course outline throughout the term.

Confirm your final exam dates

Final exam schedules can be found once you log in to myStudentSystem.


The exam schedule can change during the term. You should consult your instructors as well as the posted exam schedule prior to the exam period for any changes. You must be available for the entire exam period to accommodate exam schedule changes. Check the Academic Schedule for exam period start and end dates. According to the Final Assessment Policy (C2005), it is your responsibility to know when and where your final examinations are scheduled and to arrive on time.

Final exam deferrals

Requests for deferred final exams are considered only when you miss final examinations due to acceptable extenuating circumstances such as illness (the request must be accompanied by a signed note from a doctor), death in the family, serious family crisis, accident, etc. Personal vacations are not acceptable grounds for a deferral. You must request a deferred exam no later than 2 business days after the missed examination. Permission to defer a final exam is not automatically granted by when a request is received. Students in the Faculty of Arts and Science should speak to an advisor in Program Services to request a deferral. Students in all other programs should speak to their instructor.

If you need to request a deferral for a midterm exam or assignment, talk to your instructor.

As a MacEwan University student, you have access to an excellent support network created to help you succeed.

Don't wait until you are having problems to take advantage of support services on campus. If you don't know where to turn, talk to an advisor in your program or in the Academic Advising Centre and they will make sure you get the help you need.


Minimum grade restrictions

The minimum passing grade for a course at MacEwan University is a D unless otherwise noted next to the appropriate course in the program of study in the Academic Calendar.

GPA and academic standing

The academic standing of all students is evaluated at the end of each term. You must maintain a grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 to be considered in Good Academic Standing. Students whose GPA falls below 2.0 may either be placed on Academic Probation or be Required to Withdraw. For more information, refer to the Academic Standing policy (C2070) or talk to an advisor in your program.

Meet people, build connections, gain experience. Getting involved on and off campus will help you enjoy your MacEwan University experience more and will connect you with a community of support that will help you academically and will open doors for you after graduation.



Every program at MacEwan University has dedicated staff who are here to ensure that you have a successful academic experience. As the academic year continues, don’t lose touch with advisors in your program. Continue to check your MacEwan email even if your classes use other online tools to communicate.

Advisors in your program can review your program of study with you and give you tools that will help you stay on track to graduate. Most programs recommend that you meet with an advisor at least once per year.

If you’ve been admitted or declared as of Fall 2019 or later, you will have access to the Academic Progress Tile in myStudentSystem.

The Academic Program Progress Report and the What if Report are advising tools to help track your progress in your program.

These videos explain how to access these two reports:



If you have specific questions about your progress, contact your program academic advisor.

As a returning student you will be able to plan and enrol in your upcoming terms earlier than you did as a new student. Enrolment dates are unique to each student, so use myStudentSystem to find out when you can start the enrolment process for your upcoming terms. Enrolment for Spring/Summer term generally starts in February, and enrolment for Fall/Winter can start as early as March.