Learn about child and youth care alongside professionals in the community.

MacEwan faculty collaborate with agency staff to supervise and support you in your field placement. As well, an integration seminar shows you how to connect course learning and field experience.

You complete field placements during years one, two and four of the program.

Year one

Your field placement takes place at either a community centre or a school where you learn first-hand about child and youth care practice. The placement encourages you to develop a fuller understanding of child and youth care worker's role and to integrate the foundational concepts you've learned. You complete 240 hours in your first-year placement.

Year two

Your field placement takes place in an agency that provides group care services to children, youth and/or families. The practicum emphasizes the importance of working relationally and creatively with people where they live their lives. You are encouraged to integrate learning from the classroom, the practice setting and your own experiences. You complete 480 hours in your second-year placement.

Year four

Your field placement take place in a variety of settings that are tailored to meet your learning needs and goals. Advanced fieldwork opportunities may involve specialized group care or community programs, mental health, government, family support and schools. Critical and reflective integration of theory and practice are emphasized, as well as enhancing your skills around intervention, leadership and advocacy. You complete 260 hours in your fourth-year placement.

Preparation for Field Placement

All field placements are arranged and supported through the field placement coordinator.

The agency you do your placement with may require you to complete training in cultural awareness, crisis intervention and suicide intervention. We recommend you access this training prior to your fieldwork begins. As well, you must have a current First Aid Certificate, Police Security Clearance and Child and Family Services Intervention check before yo ubegin your field placement. Contact the program for more information.

Contact Us

International students

International students must have a co-op work permit before starting field placement, clinical practice or practicum. A co-op work permit is different from your study permit; it is an additional permit that authorizes international students to participate in work that is integral to their program of study. If you will be working with vulnerable populations in a health, community or medical field, you will need an up-to-date medical exam by an IRCC-approved panel physician before applying for a co-op work permit.

Ask MacEwan International about the documents you need to have to apply. You should apply for a co-op work permit 4-6 months before the start of your field placement, clinical practice or practicum as current IRCC processing times are lengthy.