Field Placement

The key to a successful career in criminal justice is a solid combination of education and experience. Coursework combined with direct field experience provide you with the knowledge, skills and attitude you need to be an effective professional.

Professional practice

Field placements take place in the final three terms of the program and give you the opportunity to integrate theory and practice. You are supervised by program faculty and experienced professional mentors working in the field of corrections and criminal justice, many of whom are graduates of the Correctional Services program.

As a field placement student, you work with youth and adults in a variety of corrections/criminal justice settings, including correctional centres and prisons, group home and halfway houses, and community agencies, such as probation and parole offices. A willingness to work with a diverse clientele and the ability to adapt to new environments are key qualities in competent professionals. Many Correctional Services program graduates obtain professional references and even employment opportunities through their field placement experiences.

Prior learning assessment

At the discretion of the program chair, you may be considered for advanced standing for field placement/integration seminar courses if you have completed a full year (1800 hrs) of substantive, approved human services experience (paid or volunteer). Relevant work/volunteer experience is assessed only after admission.

Field placement for distance students

All field placement and integration seminars are approved by and arranged by the distance learning coordinator. Students must have applied to and been accepted into the distance learning program and have successfully completed a minimum of five program (CORR) courses before registering for the first (preparatory) field placement. Students can normally complete placements in any term (pending availability), with the exception of Edmonton area students who may only complete placements in the spring/summer terms.

International students

International students must have a co-op work permit before starting field placement/clinical practice/practicum. A co-op work permit is different from your study permit; it is an additional permit that authorizes international students to participate in work that is integral to their program of study. You need an up-to-date medical exam by an IRCC approved panel physician before applying for a co-op work permit as you will be working with vulnerable populations in a health, community or medical field.

Ask MacEwan International about the documents you need to apply. You should apply for a co-op work permit 4-6 months before the start of your field placement/clinical practice/practicum as current IRCC processing times are lengthy.