Supervisor (Internal Applicants Only)
MacEwan University inspires students with a powerful combination of academic excellence and personal learning experiences – ours is a connected culture that focuses on learner-centered teaching, and on providing opportunities for students to grow and achieve.
The University provides a transformative education in a creative, collaborative and supportive learning environment. 19,000 full- and part-time students are enrolled in more than 65 programs: four-year undergraduate degrees, applied degrees, university transfer programs and one and two-year diploma and certificates. Additional offerings include preparation for university and college, English as a Second Language, professional and personal development courses and workshops, corporate training and the Alberta College Conservatory of Music.
The Financial Services Department at MacEwan University is recruiting for a Supervisor, General Accounting. This position is accountable for the efficient and effective operation of general ledger accounts by review and the processing of journal entries, ensuring the effective integration of PeopleSoft Finance and Supply Chain Management modules and third-party systems. The incumbent is also responsible for the University GST returns and tourism tax obligation.
What are you responsible for?
• Supervises the day-to-day activities of the General Accounting (GA) team of Financial Services, monitors and assigns workloads, and ensures the timely and accurate completion of assigned duties.
• Responsible for the effective operation of journal entry work-flow and journal entry process management, including but not limited to; uploading third-party systems’ journal entries files into PeopleSoft, scholarship and bursary entries, and payroll related journal entries.
• Responsible for the accounting of debentures.
• Responsible for month-end closing procedures which includes period updates in PeopleSoft and processing cost allocations for capital assets amortization and Asset Replacement Coordination fund allocations.
• Prepares or reviews account reconciliations and working papers for quarter-end and annual financial reports.
• Coordinates the update of weekly cash-flow projections.
• Assists with the preparation of relevant notes to the consolidated financial statements.
• Ensures effective integration between PeopleSoft General Ledger and other module and third-party systems. Plays a key role in projects related to system improvements, enhancements or integration of various PeopleSoft modules and third-party systems.
• Play an active role in training and providing guidance on tax-related issues with in-depth knowledge of GST (ITC, Section 211),. Coordinates the implementation of GST, T4A reviews done by external consultants and the Canada Revenue Agency ensuring audit recommendations have been addressed.
• Prepares other ad-hoc projects and reports as required by the Manager of General Accounting, Director of Financial Services or the Associate Vice President of Finance.
Applicants should possess strong analytical, interpersonal and organizational skills, be detail oriented and possess strong time management skills. The successful candidate will also have good verbal and written communication skills. The candidate should demonstrate a thorough understanding of the principles of quality and process improvement, being a self-starter and deal diplomatically with issues/concerns/confidentiality as they arise. Experience with Microsoft Office and PeopleSoft applications is preferred. Experience with system implementation and Financial Edge software would be an asset.
Applicants should possess strong analytical, interpersonal and organizational skills, be detail oriented and possess strong time management skills. The successful candidate will also have good verbal and written communication skills. The candidate should demonstrate a thorough understanding of the principles of quality and process improvement, be a self-starter and be able to deal diplomatically with issues/concerns/confidentiality as they arise. Experience with Microsoft Office and PeopleSoft applications is preferred. Experience with system implementation and Financial Edge software would be an asset.
Applicants must have a related Bachelor’s degree with at least five-years accounting experience within a mid to large size computerized accounting environment. A Chartered Professional Accounting designation wold be an asset. Experience in government or post-secondary environment and Public Sector Accounting Standards (PSAS) is beneficial. This is a full-time position.
When you become part of the MacEwan team, you will enjoy a competitive salary, and:
• Generous vacation time
• Excellent benefits package
• Effective recognition and retention programs
• Continuous learning culture
• Opportunities for career growth
Thank you for your interest in employment with MacEwan University. Please note that this competition is open to MacEwan employees only. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
This position is included under the MacEwan Staff Association Collective Agreement.
MacEwan University is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage Indigenous people, persons living with a disability, sexual and gender minorities, women, and members of all minority groups to apply and to self-identify. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
|Salary||$59,514 - $87,942|
|Closing Date||March 16, 2018|
Personal Information Collection Notification
Personal information is being collected to determine your qualifications for employment. This information is collected, used and protected under the authority of and in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. It may be provided to non-HR members of a hiring and interview panel if your application advances to that stage of the hiring process. If you have any questions about these arrangements, please contact: Human Resources, University Services Centre, Rm. 10-600, 10700-104 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 4S2 or phone (780) 497-5434.