Summer Temporary Employment Program (STEP)
Career Development Assistant, CDEL
MacEwan University inspires students with a powerful combination of academic excellence and personal learning experiences – ours is a connected culture that focuses on learner-centered teaching, and on providing opportunities for students to grow and achieve.
In conjunction with the Government of Alberta, MacEwan University is offering students the opportunity to apply their education and skills in the workplace through the Summer Temporary Employment Program (STEP). STEP is a 16-week employment program starting in May 1, 2018 and ending on August 14, 2018.
Career Development and Experiential Learning (CDEL) provides education, information, and support in various formats for MacEwan University students, faculty and staff, as well as for employers, community partners, and alumni in the context of student career development.
This is an on-campus, full-time position. You will join a professional, positive team and will receive valuable training on advising skills, resume and cover letter writing, and interview preparation, which will help you in your future career. Additionally, you will gain experience with resource development, event planning, marketing and the use of social media to meet business objectives.
• Develop social media content and communications: review and schedule content, develop new ideas for content, track analytics, and research social media best practices.
• Assist with the creation and planning of events and marketing-related activities to build student engagement.
• Facilitate one-on-one meetings with students to provide feedback on resumes and cover letters.
• Conduct mock interviews and provide feedback to help students improve their interview skills.
• Assist full-time CDEL staff with special projects and initiatives, such as developing informational resources for key stakeholders and developing training materials for 2018-2019 student staff.
• Maintain records of appointments on the department database and provide administrative support as needed.
• Present workshops on resume writing, interview preparation and other career-related topics.
• Student status: enrolled in a MacEwan University program for the 2018-2019 academic year.
• Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
• Comfortable learning new programs and applications, such as MacEwanWorks, our online communications platform.
• Experience with key social media platforms (Facebook and Twitter).
In addition to the minimum qualifications, the student will have the following skills:
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• A willingness to learn and engage in creative thinking and problem solving.
• A strong interest in helping fellow students.
• A positive attitude and the ability to communicate and work well with team members.
• Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
• Ability to manage time efficiently and deal with multiple tasks at once.
• Capable of adapting to new situations and being flexible with change.
• A strong work ethic and demonstrated ability to work well independently.
• Ability to exercise good judgment and tact in dealing with people and situations.
Applicants must also be:
• At least 15 years of age
• A Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, or protected person under the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and legally entitled to work and study in Canada.
• Residing and/or attending school in Alberta with an Alberta address
• Returning to high school or a post-secondary institution no later than November 1, 2018.
• Enrolled in a program that will result in a Certificate, Diploma, or Degree. Technical training for Apprenticeship is not eligible
• Available for full-time summer employment
• Participating in only one STEP position during the summer
• Not currently employed at MacEwan University
As outlined in the STEP eligibility guidelines, International students and Temporary Foreign Workers are not eligible for STEP.
To include in application:
Your resume and a letter (1-2 pages) addressing the following questions:
1) In general, how do you think accessing Career Development and Experiential Learning services may add value to a student’s post-secondary experience?
2) Why are you interested in this position?
3) How have your education and experience prepared you for this position? (Hint: you can talk about specific classes, work experience, volunteer experience, sports/extracurricular activities, relevant personal experiences, etc.).
4) Is there anything else that you’d like to tell us to help us make our decision?
Note: Students who are called in for an interview will be asked to complete a pre-interview test and prepare and present a 3-5 minute presentation on a career development topic of their own choosing.
How to Apply:
Only applications received electronically will be considered. To apply, go to http://www.macewan.ca/careers and select the job posting.
Thank you for your interest in employment with MacEwan University. We will be reviewing all applications to select the candidates whose qualifications and experience most closely meet our needs. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
For general inquiries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be advised that only applicants who apply directly to a posting through www.macewan.ca/careers will be considered.
This position is included under the MacEwan Staff Association collective agreement.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
|Salary||$15.00 per hour|
|Closing Date||April 20, 2018|
Personal Information Collection Notification
Personal information is being collected to determine your qualifications for employment. This information is collected, used and protected under the authority of and in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. It may be provided to non-HR members of a hiring and interview panel if your application advances to that stage of the hiring process. If you have any questions about these arrangements, please contact: Human Resources, University Services Centre, Rm. 10-600, 10700-104 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 4S2 or phone (780) 497-5434.