Summer Temporary Employment Program (STEP)
Gallery Assistant, John & Maggie Mitchell Art Gallery
MacEwan University inspires students with a powerful combination of academic excellence and personal learning experiences – ours is a connected culture that focuses on learner-centered teaching, and on providing opportunities for students to grow and achieve.
In conjunction with the Government of Alberta, MacEwan University is offering students the opportunity to apply their education and skills in the workplace through the Summer Temporary Employment Program (STEP). STEP is a 16-week employment program starting in May 1, 2018 and ending on or before August 14, 2018.
The John & Maggie Mitchell Art Gallery is looking for a highly self-motivated student with an eye for detail and passion for the contemporary art to be our Gallery Assistant this summer. The Gallery Assistant will assist the Art Gallery Director with the coordination, promotion, and execution of gallery summer programs, and provide administrative and research support for gallery operations, archiving, and future programming.
Key duties include:
• Building contact lists for community outreach
• Gathering content for exhibition and program promotion
• Assisting in the planning and coordination of summer programming
• Responding to public inquiries
• Assisting with record keeping systems and equipment storage and inventory
• Providing administrative support to the Art Gallery Director, including file management and responding to inquiries, as required
The student will have the following:
• Post-secondary student whose course of study includes a focus on fine arts, art history, art education, gallery administration, or related
• Demonstrated interest in gallery administration, public programs, and community engagement
• Excellent verbal and written communication
• Strong organizational skills, time management, and creative problem-solving
• Strong interpersonal skills to engage with program participants
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, and G Suite
• Self-motivated worker comfortable working independently and collaboratively
Applicants must be:
• At least 15 years of age
• A Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, or protected person under the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and legally entitled to work and study in Canada.
• Residing and/or attending school in Alberta with an Alberta address
• Returning to high school or a post-secondary institution no later than November 1, 2018.
• Enrolled in a program that will result in a Certificate, Diploma, or Degree. Technical training for Apprenticeship is not eligible
• Available for full-time summer employment
• Participating in only one STEP position during the summer
• Not currently employed at MacEwan University
As outlined in the STEP eligibility guidelines, International students and Temporary Foreign Workers are not eligible for STEP.
How to Apply:
Only applications received electronically will be considered. To apply, go to http://www.macewan.ca/careers and select the job posting.
Thank you for your interest in employment with MacEwan University. We will be reviewing all applications to select the candidates whose qualifications and experience most closely meet our needs. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
For general inquiries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be advised that only applicants who apply directly to a posting through www.macewan.ca/careers will be considered.
This position is included under the MacEwan Staff Association collective agreement.
MacEwan University is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage Indigenous people, persons living with a disability, sexual and gender minorities, women, and members of all minority groups to apply and to self-identify. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
|Salary||$15.00 per hour|
|Closing Date||April 22, 2018|
Personal Information Collection Notification
Personal information is being collected to determine your qualifications for employment. This information is collected, used and protected under the authority of and in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. It may be provided to non-HR members of a hiring and interview panel if your application advances to that stage of the hiring process. If you have any questions about these arrangements, please contact: Human Resources, University Services Centre, Rm. 10-600, 10700-104 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 4S2 or phone (780) 497-5434.