Summer Temporary Employment Program (STEP)
First Year Experience Student Assistant, Student Affairs
MacEwan University inspires students with a powerful combination of academic excellence and personal learning experiences – ours is a connected culture that focuses on learner-centered teaching, and on providing opportunities for students to grow and achieve.
In conjunction with the Government of Alberta, MacEwan University is offering students the opportunity to apply their education and skills in the workplace through the Summer Temporary Employment Program (STEP). STEP is a 16-week employment program starting in May 2018 and ending on or before August 31, 2018. This position is a 4-week STEP position from August 6 – August 31, 2018 and then an opportunity to move to a 15 hour a week Student Worker position from September through April may be available to the successful candidate.
The First Year Experience position is part of the MacEwan University Student Affairs team and works collaboratively with other staff and students to create the best possible engagement experiences for our students. The person in this role will assist with student programming and student leadership opportunities such as New Student Orientation (NSO) events, Campus Tours, and First Year Experience (FYE) activities. They will establish and maintain communication with students through social media and other technology platforms.
The student will have the following:
• Demonstrate student leadership abilities
• Excellent organizational skills
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Confidence in public making presentations and in public speaking
• Technological competencies in Microsoft Office Suite, Google applications and social media platforms.
• Enthusiastic and approachable demeanor
• Be a returning MacEwan University student in the Fall 2018 term
Applicants must be:
• At least 15 years of age
• A Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, or protected person under the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and legally entitled to work and study in Canada.
• Residing and/or attending school in Alberta with an Alberta address
• Returning to high school or a post-secondary institution no later than November 1, 2018.
• Enrolled in a program that will result in a Certificate, Diploma, or Degree. Technical training for Apprenticeship is not eligible
• Available for full-time summer employment
• Participating in only one STEP position during the summer
• Not currently employed at MacEwan University
As outlined in the STEP eligibility guidelines, International students and Temporary Foreign Workers are not eligible for STEP.
How to Apply:
Only applications received electronically will be considered. To apply, go to http://www.macewan.ca/careers and select the job posting.
Thank you for your interest in employment with MacEwan University. We will be reviewing all applications to select the candidates whose qualifications and experience most closely meet our needs. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
For general inquiries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be advised that only applicants who apply directly to a posting through www.macewan.ca/careers will be considered.
This position is included under the MacEwan Staff Association collective agreement.
MacEwan University is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage Indigenous people, persons living with a disability, sexual and gender minorities, women, and members of all minority groups to apply and to self-identify. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
|Salary||$15.00 - $16.70 per hour|
|Closing Date||May 25, 2018|
Personal Information Collection Notification
Personal information is being collected to determine your qualifications for employment. This information is collected, used and protected under the authority of and in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. It may be provided to non-HR members of a hiring and interview panel if your application advances to that stage of the hiring process. If you have any questions about these arrangements, please contact: Human Resources, University Services Centre, Rm. 10-600, 10700-104 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 4S2 or phone (780) 497-5434.