MacEwan University is currently in a hiring restraint. As a result, job opportunities are limited. Available opportunities are listed below.
Assistant Professor, Bachelor of Design
Advertising, Branding & Visual Communication Design
Faculty of Fine Arts and Communications
The Design Studies program in the Faculty of Fine Arts and Communications (FFAC), MacEwan University, invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor. This is a full-time, continuing faculty appointment with both teaching and curriculum development responsibilities in the areas of advertising, branding and visual communication design.
Candidates for this position must have demonstrated professional expertise in the area of advertising or branding and general visual communication design. Candidates should possess the ability to teach a variety of design subjects at multiple levels in the curriculum, from foundation studies to senior studios and seminars, and are expected to make a significant contribution in developing curriculum.
The preferred candidate will hold a minimum of a MDes or master’s degree in a related field, have teaching experience at the post-secondary level and extensive industry experience. The candidates must demonstrate excellence or clear promise of excellence in teaching and research.
Located in Edmonton, Alberta, MacEwan University provides a transformative education in a creative, collaborative and supportive learning environment. 19,000 full- and part-time students are enrolled in more than 65 programs. Just last year, FFAC moved to the new, world-class, $200 million Allard Hall as part of MacEwan University’s main campus in downtown Edmonton.
The MacEwan Design Studies program has been graduating well-respected designers for more than forty years. Currently a 3-year diploma, we will be launching a 4-year baccalaureate degree in Fall 2019. This degree will be unique in Canada, envisioning design as not just an applied art but also applied social science. This human-centered approach will allow students to better understand the audience/users they are designing for and also to more effectively evaluate their design solutions. The degree will start with two pathways – Visual Communication Design and User Experience Design – with plans for others like Illustration, Lens-based Media and Game Design.
The Design Studies program at MacEwan University prepares students to become the creative design leaders of tomorrow. Students are immersed in the knowledge, processes, methods and skills of the discipline: the ability to research and identify problems and provide communication solutions within a given social and environmental context; use tools of the field to give form to their concepts while recognizing the cultural significance and meaning of them; communicate and defend solutions to team members and stakeholders; organize and manage design projects and client relations.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
● Instruct students in the Advertising Design, Corporate ID & Branding, Visual Communication Design disciplines. Provides learning activities that stimulate student involvement and encourage critical thinking.
● Provides concrete, constructive, respectful and actionable feedback to students during group and in-person critiques.
● Maintains professional competencies in the subject area and currency in instructional methodologies through professional associations and professional development.
● Maintain an active research and creative practice.
● Participates in curriculum development and implementation.
● Serves on University-wide, faculty and departmental committees as needed.
Discipline-specific knowledge and skills include but are not limited to:
● Advanced knowledge of and skills with visual communication design foundations such as: research, problem definition, ideation, refinement, typography, image, layout, and communication.
● Advanced knowledge of communication theory, rhetoric and semiotics
● Extensive experience providing creative and art direction; leading a team of designers
● Advanced knowledge of human-centered, prototype/mockup driven design processes
● Advanced knowledge of and skills implementing marketing research tactics such as surveys, polling and focus groups.
● Advanced knowledge of audience-testing planning, implementation and analysis
● Advanced knowledge of communications/content strategy, principles and best practices
● Experience writing copy and/or working with a team of copywriters
● Advanced knowledge of project, client and team management in advertising/agency context
● Knowledge of interaction design theories and principles is an asset
● Advanced skills with industry-standard design tools such as the Adobe Creative Suite
Questions about this position may be addressed to Robert Andruchow, Program Coordinator, Design Studies: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply:
Applicants should submit the following:
● cover letter (with competition number stated)
● curriculum vitae
● recent teaching evaluations
● a statement of teaching philosophy and approaches (including sample course outlines, projects and student work)
● a statement of research interests and experience (including examples of your work, communications and publications)
● portfolio of professional work
● names and contact information for three references
Review of applications will commence January 15, 2019 and the competition will remain open until the successful candidate has been found. Likely start date for this position is July 1, 2019.
Only applications received electronically will be considered. To apply, go to http://www.macewan.ca/careers and select the job posting.
Thank you for your interest in employment with MacEwan University. We will be reviewing all applications to select the candidates whose qualifications and experience most closely meet our needs. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
For general inquiries, please contact us at email@example.com.
About Edmonton and its Design Community
Edmonton is the capital city of the province of Alberta and has a metro population of over 1.3 million people. It boasts the largest urban park in North America with many opportunities for recreation in the summer and winter. Edmonton is known as “Festival City," home to North America's oldest and largest Fringe festival as well as more than 30 major festivals celebrating music, theater, dance, visual arts, street performers, ethnic food, and more.
Edmonton’s design community is very strong. The GDC Alberta North holds multiple public events each year, from workshops to lectures with world-renowned speakers. The Advertising Club of Edmonton (ACE) is also very active holding the largest ad award show each year, the ACE awards. Edmonton also has a vibrant meetup community including Creative Mornings, Pecha Kucha, Photography Group, Film Makers Group, Game Camp, International Association of Business Communicators meetings and Nerd Nite to name a few.
To learn more about Edmonton, visit: http://exploreedmonton.com/
This position is included under the Faculty Association collective agreement.
MacEwan University is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage Indigenous people, persons living with a disability, sexual and gender minorities, women, and members of all minority groups to apply and to self-identify. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
|Salary||Commensurate with education and experience|
|Closing Date||Open until suitable candidate is found|
Personal Information Collection Notification
Personal information is being collected to determine your qualifications for employment. This information is collected, used and protected under the authority of and in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. It may be provided to non-HR members of a hiring and interview panel if your application advances to that stage of the hiring process. If you have any questions about these arrangements, please contact: Human Resources, University Services Centre, Rm. 10-600, 10700-104 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 4S2 or phone (780) 497-5434.