Swim Instructor (Student Worker)
Sport and Wellness
MacEwan University inspires students with a powerful combination of academic excellence and personal learning experiences – ours is a connected culture that focuses on learner-centered teaching, and on providing opportunities for students to grow and achieve.
The university provides a transformative education in a creative, collaborative and supportive learning environment. 19,000 full- and part-time students are enrolled in more than 65 programs: four-year undergraduate degrees, applied degrees, university transfer programs and one- and two-year diploma and certificates. Additional offerings include university preparation, English as an Additional Language, professional and personal development courses and workshops, corporate training and the Conservatory of Music.
MacEwan University Sport and Wellness (MUSW) has an opportunity for a Student Worker, Swim for Life Instructor (up to 17.5 hours/week). Reporting directly to the Aquatics Supervisor, Swim Instructors deliver professional, high-quality swim lessons to our students, staff, faculty and the public. Swim Instructors are enthusiastic about promoting an aquatic environment that is enjoyable, educational and safe.
Supplementary Learning / Benefits:
• Professional Development at mandatory Instructor In-services;
• Sport and Wellness fitness facility complimentary access;
• Student Workers will obtain valuable experience, competitive wages and work references (upon request);
• Employment candidates who need to obtain the required Lifesaving Society Swim Instructor course will receive a 50 % discount on the registration fee at Sport and Wellness to a maximum of $200 with prior approval.
• Swim Instructors present for all work shifts without absenteeism in a program season will receive a one-time payment of 50 % the cost of the required Lifesaving Society Swim Instructor course to a maximum of $200 at the end of the term, should they take this training at MacEwan University Sport and Wellness.
• Provide quality instruction of all levels of the Lifesaving Society’s Swim for Life program;
• Complete all related administrative duties and help set up and clean up supplies;
• Work collaboratively with other Aquatics and Sport and Wellness staff to ensure quality service provided at all times;
• Assist the Aquatics Programmer with other swim lesson related tasks as assigned;
• Help support Swim Lesson Volunteers, including the completion of a brief volunteer assessment;
• Attend training sessions as scheduled.
• Instructors will also be required to stay in the water at our swimming facility for extended periods; carry and lift lesson supplies; and remain attentive in noisy, disruptive, hot and cold conditions.
This position requires flexibility to work mostly evening and weekend shifts. Some daytime shifts may also be available on occasion. A minimum of 24 hours (3 hours a week for 8 weeks plus mandatory training) commitment is required for one full program season. Once committed to a set of lessons, Instructors are expected to attend all lessons. General lesson days and times are as follows in Fall, Winter and Spring: Thursdays, from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.; Fridays, from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.; Saturdays, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.; Sundays, from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Candidates with Lifesaving Society’s Swim Instructor Certification are eligible to teach lessons in the Winter term. Candidates needing to acquire the Lifesaving Society’s Swim Instructor certification will be eligible to teach lessons in the Spring term and must be available to attend a certification course on Saturdays from Feb 2 – Mar 23. Course times are 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
This is a temporary student position for each program season. Employment may be renewed for future terms depending on enrollment numbers in programs and employee performance evaluations.
The successful candidate will be a minimum of 16 years old. Preference is given to MacEwan University students or previous Aquatics Volunteers. Candidates must:
• Possess strong organization and communication (oral and written) skills;
• Demonstrate strong customer service skills;
• Be responsible, organized, energetic and enthusiastic – ready to have fun;
• Be able to work with a diverse range of clients and colleagues;
• Be able to work independently and in a team environment;
• Demonstrate flexibility, dependability and initiative;
• Lead by example and hold themselves and others to the highest degree of professionalism.
• Current Swim Instructor certification (Lifesaving Society preferred, but not required. Must be willing to obtain Lifesaving Society certification);
• A Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, or protected person under the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and legally entitled to work and study in Canada;
• Residing and/or attending school in Alberta with an Alberta address;
• Currently attending a high school or a post-secondary institution;
• Candidates will be required to obtain a Police Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Check at their own cost.
• Previous experience as a swim instructor is not required and considered an asset;
• Other Aquatics certifications;
• Familiarity with Christenson Family Centre for Sport and Wellness (as a facility patron, program participant, volunteer, or staff) considered an asset;
When you become part of the MacEwan team, you will enjoy a competitive salary. Our total compensation package includes:
• Competitive base pay
• Effective recognition and retention programs
• Continuous learning culture
• Opportunities for career growth
How to Apply:
Only applications received electronically will be considered. To apply, go to http://www.macewan.ca/careers and select the job posting to submit a cover letter and resume including at least 3 references. Candidates are encouraged to list their experience and certifications that are Aquatics or sport related in their application.
For further information about the position, contact Davi Grossi (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Thank you for your interest in employment with MacEwan University. We will be reviewing all applications to select the candidates whose qualifications and experience most closely meet our needs. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
This position is included under the MacEwan Staff Association Collective Agreement. Please note; Article 22.1.1 (Grid Placement); initial salary placement for external candidates is limited to the first three steps of the salary grid.
MacEwan University is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage Indigenous people, persons living with a disability, sexual and gender minorities, women, and members of all minority groups to apply and to self-identify. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
|Category||Casual Student Worker|
|Salary||$15 - $21.83 per hour|
|Closing Date||December 16, 2018|
Personal Information Collection Notification
Personal information is being collected to determine your qualifications for employment. This information is collected, used and protected under the authority of and in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. It may be provided to non-HR members of a hiring and interview panel if your application advances to that stage of the hiring process. If you have any questions about these arrangements, please contact: Human Resources, University Services Centre, Rm. 10-600, 10700-104 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 4S2 or phone (780) 497-5434.