Database Administrator (12 month term)
IT Application Services
MacEwan University inspires students with a powerful combination of academic excellence and personal learning experiences – ours is a connected culture that focuses on learner-centered teaching, and on providing opportunities for students to grow and achieve.
The university provides a transformative education in a creative, collaborative and supportive learning environment. 19,000 full- and part-time students are enrolled in more than 65 programs: four-year undergraduate degrees, applied degrees, university transfer programs and one- and two-year diploma and certificates. Additional offerings include university preparation, English as an Additional Language, professional and personal development courses and workshops, corporate training and the Conservatory of Music.
The IT Application Services (ITAS) department of Information & Technology Services has an entry level database administrator appointment opportunity open for MacEwan internal staff members only. Reporting to the Team Lead – Database Administration, this 12-month appointment will provide the opportunity to be part of the database administration team which supports enterprise business systems at MacEwan. The acting appointment shall follow all the provisions of the collective agreement, including the employees guarantee to return to a position at the same level as the one that they vacate at the end of the term. At the end of the term, there will be an open competition to fill the position on an ongoing basis.
There is no expectation that successful candidate possesses all the skills required for a database administrator. This is a developmental opportunity and both on the job training and external training will be provided.
The successful candidate will have a keen desire to learn new technologies, the initiative to ensure that their work meets requirements, the ability to investigate issue and diagnose problems and devises testing approaches for validation, applies attention to detail defined in formal written procedures and oral instructions, and is able to deliver tasks on time. Experience or knowledge of Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, mySQL database or related technologies is desirable but not mandatory. Working as part of a team, the MacEwan Database administrators actively support all Oracle and SQL Server databases and work closely with IT application development and IT operations teams.
This position has an end date of on or before December 31, 2019.
• As part of a small team of database administrators, maintain and monitor highly available and secure databases environments.
• Configure, upgrade, and support our two key relational database management systems (Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server).
• Utilize products such as Grid Control and Toad to monitor the real-time and historical health of systems.
• Assist in performance load testing, application and database tuning and improving operational processes.
• Assist with database design and performance optimization, backup and recovery, and monitoring the overall health of the database environment.
• Provide on-going application patching, administration and technical support.
• Provide PeopleSoft applications administration and databases services support.
• Perform change management process and procedures, which includes migrations of application code between database instances.
A bachelor’s or diploma in computer science or related discipline is desirable. A suitable combination of education and experience will also be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Hardworking individual, quick learner with a good eye for continuous improvement. Ability to work well independently and as a team member.
• Strong ability to analyze issues and problem-solve.
• Ability to maintain knowledge of current and emerging technology and trends.
• Experience or knowledge of Oracle DBA, SQL Server, or mySQL technologies an asset.
• UNIX Shell (SLES or Red Hat) and Bash Shell scripting desirable.
When you become part of the MacEwan team, you will enjoy a competitive salary. Our total compensation package includes:
• Competitive base pay
• Generous vacation time
• Secure pension plan
• Excellent benefits package
• Effective recognition and retention programs
• Continuous learning culture
• Opportunities for career growth
How to Apply
Only applications received electronically will be considered. To apply, go to http://www.macewan.ca/careers and select the job posting.
Thank you for your interest in employment with MacEwan University. We will be reviewing all applications to select the candidates whose qualifications and experience most closely meet our needs. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
This position is included under the MacEwan Staff Association Collective Agreement. Please note; Article 22.1.1 (Grid Placement); initial salary placement for external candidates is limited to the first three steps of the salary grid.
MacEwan University is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage Indigenous people, persons living with a disability, sexual and gender minorities, women, and members of all minority groups to apply and to self-identify. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
|Category||Full-Time 12 Month Term|
|Salary||$67,540 - $98,244|
|Closing Date||December 17, 2018|
Personal Information Collection Notification
Personal information is being collected to determine your qualifications for employment. This information is collected, used and protected under the authority of and in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. It may be provided to non-HR members of a hiring and interview panel if your application advances to that stage of the hiring process. If you have any questions about these arrangements, please contact: Human Resources, University Services Centre, Rm. 10-600, 10700-104 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 4S2 or phone (780) 497-5434.