Assistant Professor, Bachelor of Design, Visual Communication Design
Faculty of Fine Arts and Communications
MacEwan University inspires students through a powerful combination of academic excellence and personal learning experiences. Located in culturally enriched, downtown Edmonton, our comprehensive undergraduate university offers over 65 programs to 19,000 full- and part-time students. With a dedication to teaching excellence informed by scholarly research and creative activity, MacEwan provides an exceptional collaborative and supportive learning environment with a commitment to environmental sustainability and opportunities for community engagement. In support of faculty professional development, unique and enhanced services are provided through the MacEwan Office of Teaching and Learning.
Located in Edmonton, Alberta, MacEwan University provides a transformative education in a creative, collaborative and supportive learning environment. 19,000 full- and part-time students are enrolled in more than 65 programs. Two years ago, FFAC moved to the new, world-class, $200 million Allard Hall as part of MacEwan University’s main campus in downtown Edmonton. The program recently opened a state-of-the-art TV production studio including two newsrooms designed for use by communication faculty and students. This in addition to modern classrooms, study rooms, labs and other learning spaces available for students in the program.
The MacEwan Design program has been graduating well-respected designers for more than forty years. We just launched a 4-year baccalaureate degree in the Fall 2019. This degree is unique in Canada, envisioning design as not just an applied art but also applied social science. This human-centered approach will allow students to better understand the audience/users they are designing for and also to more effectively evaluate their design solutions. The degree will start with four pathways – Visual Communication Design; User Experience Design; Photo, Video & Motion Graphics; Illustration – with plans for others in the future. MacEwan University is Edmonton’s downtown university and encourages students and faculty to engage with the surrounding community through teaching and research.
The Design program in the Faculty of Fine Arts and Communications (FFAC), MacEwan University, invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor. This is a full-time, continuing faculty appointment with both teaching and curriculum development responsibilities in the area of visual communication design.
Candidates for this position must have demonstrated professional expertise in the area of visual communication design including a holistic approach to the design of products, experiences and/or systems. Preference will be given to candidates who have expertise in branding and/or advertising. Candidates should possess the ability to teach a variety of design subjects at multiple levels in the curriculum, from foundation studies to senior studios and seminars, and are expected to make a contribution in developing curriculum.
The candidate will hold a minimum of a MDes or master’s degree in a related field, have teaching experience in design at the post-secondary level and extensive industry experience as a designer. The candidate must demonstrate excellence or clear promise of excellence in teaching and research.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned)
● Instruct students in visual communication design courses.
● Provide learning activities that stimulate student involvement and encourage critical thinking.
● Provide concrete, constructive, respectful and actionable feedback to students during group and in-person critiques.
● Maintain professional competencies in the subject area and currency in instructional methodologies through professional associations and professional development.
● Maintain an active research and creative practice.
● Participate in curriculum development and implementation.
● Serve on university-wide, faculty and departmental committees as needed.
● Minimum of a MDes or master’s degree in a related field.
● Teaching experience in design at the post-secondary level.
● Professional expertise in the area of visual communication design including a holistic approach to the design of visual communication design products, experiences and/or systems.
● The ability to teach a variety of design subjects at multiple levels in the curriculum, from foundation studies to senior studios and/or seminars
● Knowledge of and skills with visual communication design foundations such as: research, problem definition, ideation, refinement, typography, image, layout, and communication theory.
● Knowledge of branding and/or advertising design theories and application
● Experience providing creative and art direction; leading a team of designers
● Knowledge of human-centered, prototype/mockup driven design processes
● Experience writing copy and/or working with a team of copywriters
● Knowledge of project, client and team management in advertising/agency context
Applicants should submit the following:
● cover letter (with competition number stated)
● curriculum vitae
● recent teaching evaluations
● a statement of teaching philosophy and approaches (including sample course outlines, projects and student work)
● a statement of research interests and experience (including examples of your work, communications and publications)
● portfolio of professional work
● names and contact information for three references
Review of applications will commence January 31, 2020 and the competition will remain open until the successful candidate has been found. Likely start date for this position is July 1, 2020.
Questions about this position may be addressed to Robert Andruchow, Chair, Department of Art and Design: firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is subject to final budgetary approval.
About Edmonton and its Design Community
Edmonton is the capital city of the province of Alberta and has a metro population of over 1.3 million people. It boasts the largest urban park in North America with many opportunities for recreation in the summer and winter. Edmonton is known as “Festival City," home to North America's oldest and largest Fringe festival as well as more than 30 major festivals celebrating music, theater, dance, visual arts, street performers, ethnic food, and more.
Edmonton’s design community is very strong. The GDC Alberta North holds multiple public events each year, from workshops to lectures with world-renowned speakers. The Advertising Club of Edmonton (ACE) is also very active holding the largest ad award show each year, the ACE awards. Edmonton also has a vibrant meetup community including Creative Mornings, Pecha Kucha, Photography Group, Film Makers Group, Game Camp, International Association of Business Communicators meetings and Nerd Nite to name a few.
To learn more about Edmonton, click here: http://exploreedmonton.com/
How to Apply:
Only applications received electronically will be considered. To apply, go to http://www.macewan.ca/careers and select the job posting.
Thank you for your interest in employment with MacEwan University. We will be reviewing all applications to select the candidates whose qualifications and experience most closely meet our needs. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. For general inquiries, please contact us at email@example.com.
This position is included under the Faculty Association collective agreement.
MacEwan University is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage Indigenous people, persons living with a disability, sexual and gender minorities, women, and members of all minority groups to apply and to self-identify. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
|Salary||Commensurate with qualifications and experience|
|Closing Date||A review of applications will begin on January 31, 2020 and continue until a suitable candidate is found.|
|Competition No.||19.10.176||Apply Online||Apply Now|
Personal Information Collection Notification
Personal information is being collected to determine your qualifications for employment. This information is collected, used and protected under the authority of and in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. It may be provided to non-HR members of a hiring and interview panel if your application advances to that stage of the hiring process. If you have any questions about these arrangements, please contact: Human Resources, University Services Centre, Rm. 10-600, 10700-104 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 4S2 or phone (780) 497-5434.