Available opportunities are listed below.
Senior Advisor, Financial Aid
Office of the University Registrar
MacEwan University inspires students with a powerful combination of academic excellence and personal learning experiences – ours is a connected culture that focuses on learner-centered teaching, and on providing opportunities for students to grow and achieve.
The university provides a transformative education in a creative, collaborative and supportive learning environment. 19,000 full- and part-time students are enrolled in more than 65 programs: four-year undergraduate degrees, applied degrees, university transfer programs and one- and two-year diploma and certificates. Additional offerings include university preparation, English as an Additional Language, professional and personal development courses and workshops, corporate training and the Conservatory of Music.
Reporting to the Associate Registrar – Student Records & Services, the Senior Advisor, Financial Aid is responsible for coordinating the day to day and annual operations of the Fees & Financial Aid team. Responsibilities include ensuring continuous coverage of all Fees & Financial Aid duties, monitoring response time and deadlines, identifying areas for improvement and initiating action, and resolution of escalated issues. In addition, this position communicates with colleagues throughout the Office of the University Registrar and other departments to coordinate the delivery of the University's Scholarships, Awards & Bursaries (SAB) program.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Act as a support to the Fee Services Representatives and Financial Aid Advisors, supporting the team with all activities, including coverage of duties, as necessary.
- Delegate tasks and coordinate the team's schedule, ensuring continuous coverage of all fees & financial aid duties.
- Provide knowledgeable and accurate advice to students regarding tuition, fees, scholarships, awards, bursaries, and student loans.
- Identify students in financial crisis and explore options for Emergency Loan or Bursaries.
- Act as point of contact for students who have escalated concerns regarding fees and/or financial aid; deescalate and find resolution.
- Maintain the team’s business procedures and coordinate cross-training to ensure shared knowledge of all tasks.
- Coordinate the administration of MacEwan's Scholarships, Awards & Bursaries (SAB) Program including: consultation with other departments; manage the preparation and configuration of the application and related communications; coordinate the selection process; monitor progress and timelines.
- Coordinate the administration of Student Loan processes, including the preparation for annual loan cycle, confirmations, and distributions. Consult with provincial and federal student loan centers, as necessary.
- Prepare data on a term and annual basis to report on financial aid activities and the distribution of funds.
- Work with the Functional Analyst and the Information Systems team on matters related to system configuration, user acceptance testing, and troubleshooting.
At a minimum, this position requires:
- A post-secondary degree. Graduate degree is preferred.
- Five years’ experience working with a customer service portfolio in a post-secondary environment with a focus on fees, financial aid, and/or advising.
Experience with PeopleSoft Campus Solutions or another Student Information System and knowledge of student finance guidelines would be an asset.
The successful candidate will have:
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to successfully prioritize and delegate tasks
- Strong team-work skills with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Superior conflict resolution skills with the ability to be non-judgmental and empathetic
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong knowledge and technical proficiency working with computers, including Microsoft Suite (Work, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), SharePoint and Google Docs.
- Ability to work with policies and procedures and be capable of explaining and interpreting policy.
When you become part of the MacEwan team, you will enjoy a competitive salary. Our total compensation package includes:
• Competitive base pay
• Generous vacation time
• Secure pension plan
• Excellent benefits package
• Effective recognition and retention programs
• Continuous learning culture
• Opportunities for career growth
How to Apply:
Only applications received electronically will be considered. To apply, go to http://www.macewan.ca/careers and select the job posting.
Thank you for your interest in employment with MacEwan University. We will be reviewing all applications to select the candidates whose qualifications and experience most closely meet our needs. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
This position is included under the MacEwan Staff Association Collective Agreement. Please note, initial salary placement for external candidates is limited to the first five steps of the salary grid.
MacEwan University is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage Indigenous people, persons living with a disability, sexual and gender minorities, women, and members of all minority groups to apply and to self-identify. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
|Salary||MSA Band F (Steps 1-5): $59,514 to $73,728 per annum|
|Closing Date||September 16, 2020|
Personal Information Collection Notification
Personal information is being collected to determine your qualifications for employment. This information is collected, used and protected under the authority of and in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. It may be provided to non-HR members of a hiring and interview panel if your application advances to that stage of the hiring process. If you have any questions about these arrangements, please contact: Human Resources, University Services Centre, Rm. 10-600, 10700-104 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 4S2 or phone (780) 497-5434.