Available opportunities are listed below.
Young Canada Works Program (YCW), Gallery Assistant
John & Maggie Mitchell Art Gallery
MacEwan University inspires students with a powerful combination of academic excellence and personal learning experiences – ours is a connected culture that focuses on learner-centered teaching, and on providing opportunities for students to grow and achieve.
The John & Maggie Mitchell Art Gallery (MAG) at MacEwan University is offering a recent graduate the opportunity to apply their education and skills in the workplace through the Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage internship program administered by the Canadian Museums Association on behalf of the Government of Canada. This 16-week internship opportunity starts November 23, 2020 and ends on or before March 27, 2021.
The MAG is looking for a highly self-motivated recent graduate with an eye for detail and passion for arts and culture to be our Gallery Assistant. The Gallery Assistant will assist the MAG’s Director/Curator with the coordination, promotion, and execution of gallery community outreach programs, and provide administrative and research support for gallery operations, archiving, and future programming.
Key duties include:
• Building contact lists for community outreach
• Gathering content for exhibition and program promotion
• Assisting in the planning and coordination of community outreach programming
• Responding to public inquiries
• Assisting with record keeping systems and equipment storage and inventory
• Providing administrative support to the Art Gallery Director, including file management and responding to inquiries, as required
Applicants should have the following:
• Post-secondary coursework with a focus on fine arts, art history, art education, gallery administration, or related
• Demonstrated interest in gallery administration, public programs, and community engagement
• Excellent verbal and written communication
• Strong organizational skills, time management, and creative problem-solving
• Strong interpersonal skills to engage with program participants
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, and G Suite
• Self-motivated worker comfortable working independently and collaboratively
• Problem solving skills to perform repairs. Skill working with hand tools.
Applicants are eligible to apply if they:
- are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
- are legally entitled to work in Canada;
- are between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with the program;
- are unemployed or underemployed;
- are a college or university graduate;
- are not receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed with the program; and
- have not previously participated in or been paid under this or any other Career Focus internship program funded under the Government of Canada's Youth Employment Strategy.
How to Apply
Only applications received electronically will be considered. To apply, go to http://www.macewan.ca/careers and select the job posting.
Thank you for your interest in employment with MacEwan University. We will be reviewing all applications to select the candidates whose qualifications and experience most closely meet our needs. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
For general inquiries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be advised that only applicants who apply directly to a posting through www.macewan.ca/careers will be considered.
This position is included under the MacEwan Staff Association collective agreement.
MacEwan University is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage Indigenous people, persons living with a disability, sexual and gender minorities, women, and members of all minority groups to apply and to self-identify. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
|Salary||MSA Band B $18.38 per hour|
|Closing Date||November 27, 2020|
Personal Information Collection Notification
Personal information is being collected to determine your qualifications for employment. This information is collected, used and protected under the authority of and in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. It may be provided to non-HR members of a hiring and interview panel if your application advances to that stage of the hiring process. If you have any questions about these arrangements, please contact: Human Resources, University Services Centre, Rm. 10-600, 10700-104 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 4S2 or phone (780) 497-5434.