People who teach. People who research. People who support. People who inspire. This is who we are. In 2021, MacEwan University was named one of Canada’s best employers by Forbes Magazine and was the top Alberta-based employer on the list. Want to be a part of this great team? Available opportunities are listed below.
Educational Developer (5 positions)
Centre for Teaching and Learning
MacEwan University inspires students with a powerful combination of academic excellence and personal learning experiences – ours is a connected culture that focuses on learner-centered teaching, and on providing opportunities for students to grow and achieve.
The university provides a transformative education in a creative, collaborative and supportive learning environment. More than 15,000 full- and part-time students are enrolled in more than 65 programs: four-year undergraduate degrees, applied degrees, university transfer programs and one- and two-year diploma and certificates. Additional offerings include university preparation, English as an Additional Language, professional and personal development courses and workshops, corporate training and the Conservatory of Music.
Applications are invited for five (5) positions of Educational Developers in the Centre for Teaching and Learning. These positions are conditionally funded, will start as soon as July 1, 2021, and be for an initial 2-year term, with possibility of extension.
As an integral member of the Centre for Teaching and Learning, Educational Developers provide collaborative leadership toward the enhancement of teaching and learning across MacEwan University’s faculties and schools. Reporting to the Associate Dean, Teaching and Learning, the Educational Developers will be assigned as a liaison to a faculty or school and will provide general pedagogical expertise, as well as specialize in one or more of the following domains:
• Indigenous ways of knowing
• assessment and evaluation
• educational technology
• equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI)
• learning outcomes
• research-based learning
• scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL)
• universal design
• work integrated learning / experiential learning
• writing across the curriculum
The Centre for Teaching and Learning (CTL) at MacEwan University newly combines the resources of the Office of Teaching and Learning Services and the Office of eLearning Services. The Centre is being organized around: Communications, Planning, and Administration; Curriculum and Course Resources; Teaching and Learning Professional Development; and Teaching and Learning Technologies. The Teaching and Learning Professional Development unit includes a total of five (5) Educational Developers. Please state in your cover letter your qualifications and experience in one or more educational domains and your preference (if any) for a liaison faculty or school. Educational Developers will work collaboratively with each other, staff and managers in the Centre, colleagues in other departments (for example, the Library, Writing and Instructional Services, the Office of Research Services, kihêw waciston, and Student Services).
Primary responsibilities may include:
• Actively supporting faculty in developing effective and innovative pedagogical practices through formal and informal individual and group consultations, workshops, and other programs
• Working independently as a designer, co-designer, or project manager on teaching and education development initiatives for curriculum, program, course, and non-traditional learning activities
• Maintaining currency in the field of educational development
We seek applicants with successful post-secondary teaching experiences, along with additional experience supporting colleagues and instructors in enhancing their own teaching practices. The ideal candidate will have excellent instructional and communication skills, facilitated change in teaching and learning environments, and engaged in enhancing their own practice through courses, workshops, projects, sessions, or similar reflective and professional learning activities.
The successful candidates will be highly collaborative and can skillfully conduct faculty consultations, create, and present engaging workshops, provide constructive feedback, develop instructional resources, support curriculum design activities, and engage faculty with SoTL research.
The ability to both work independently and as part of a team is critical. In addition, excellent face-to-face and online presentation/facilitation skills are necessary.
The successful candidates will have:
• Master’s degree in relevant discipline
• Teaching experience at the post-secondary level
• Experience in educational and faculty development (e.g., working in or closely with a teaching and learning centre)
• Ability to create and provide instructional development programming (e.g., consultations, workshops, and other learning experiences) on a range of teaching and learning topics.
• Knowledge of current theories and practices related to post-secondary teaching and learning (e.g., high-impact practices, student engagement, active learning, innovative pedagogies, blended learning)
• Demonstrated ongoing professional development related to teaching and learning.
• Expertise in at least one specialized area of focus, and the ability to mentor others using that expertise (e.g., universal design, work integrated learning / experiential learning, or writing across the curriculum)
When you become part of the MacEwan team, you will enjoy a competitive salary. Our total compensation package includes:
• Competitive base pay
• Generous vacation time
• Excellent benefits package
• Continuous learning culture
• Opportunities for career growth
How to Apply
Only applications received electronically will be considered. To apply, go to http://www.macewan.ca/careers and select the job posting.
Thank you for your interest in employment with MacEwan University. We will be reviewing all applications to select the candidates whose qualifications and experience most closely meet our needs. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
For general inquiries, please contact us at email@example.com.
This position is included under the MacEwan Staff Association Collective Agreement. Please note, initial salary placement for external candidates is limited to the first five steps of the salary grid.
MacEwan University is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage Indigenous people, persons living with a disability, sexual and gender minorities, women, and members of all minority groups to apply and to self-identify. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We strive to provide an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, beginning with the hiring process. If you have special assessment needs, we want to ensure you have the support you need to showcase your abilities. Please disclose any requirements when contacted for an interview. This information will be kept confidential.
|Category||Full-Time Non Recurring Term|
|Salary||MSA Band G (Steps 1-5): $37.11 - $45.97 per hour|
|Closing Date||June 11, 2021|
Personal Information Collection Notification
Personal information is being collected to determine your qualifications for employment. This information is collected, used and protected under the authority of and in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. It may be provided to non-HR members of a hiring and interview panel if your application advances to that stage of the hiring process. If you have any questions about these arrangements, please contact: Human Resources, University Services Centre, Rm. 10-600, 10700-104 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 4S2 or phone (780) 497-5434.