People who teach. People who research. People who support. People who inspire. This is who we are. In 2021, MacEwan University was named one of Canada’s best employers by Forbes Magazine and was the top Alberta-based employer on the list. Want to be a part of this great team? Available opportunities are listed below.
Outreach and Programs Assistant
Mitchell Art Gallery
MacEwan University inspires students with a powerful combination of academic excellence and personal learning experiences – ours is a connected culture that focuses on learner-centered teaching, and on providing opportunities for students to grow and achieve.
The university provides a transformative education in a creative, collaborative and supportive learning environment. More than 15,000 full- and part-time students are enrolled in more than 65 programs: four-year undergraduate degrees, applied degrees, university transfer programs and one- and two-year diploma and certificates. Additional offerings include university preparation, English as an Additional Language, professional and personal development courses and workshops, corporate training and the Conservatory of Music.
The John and Maggie Mitchell Art Gallery (the MAG) is MacEwan University’s public art gallery with a vision to engage timely conversations and community through contemporary art. The MAG serves the university community and the public by supporting interdisciplinary, experiential learning through exhibitions, programs, and publications that feature diverse artistic and curatorial perspectives committed to critical discourses in contemporary art. The MAG supports opportunities for students to develop academic, hands-on, and leadership skills to support their futures as artists, cultural workers, and lifelong critical thinkers.
The Mitchell Art Gallery is seeking an Outreach and Programs Assistant. This position will support the following three major aspects of gallery operations:
Gallery front line operations – including opening and closing, volunteer support, and public inquiries.
Administrative support – such as correspondence, loan agreements, invoice tracking, and artwork shipping.
Outreach initiatives – such as public program support, e-newsletter and social media account management, and community outreach support.
• Self-motivated and able to take initiative on self-directed projects as well as work well collaboratively.
• Organized with excellent time management and prioritization skills.
• Communicates clearly and intentionally to different kinds of art audiences in person and in writing.
• Transparent and conscientious working style
• Culturally and interpersonally aware and sensitive
• Creative problem-solver
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Comfortable public speaker
• Passionate about supporting the work of students and student interns, engaging with volunteers, and building professional relationships with them.
• Passionate about supporting the work of artists and community members, building and maintaining professional relationships with them.
• Diploma in arts related discipline, such as art history, fine art, arts and cultural management, cultural studies.
• 2-5 years’ experience in assisting with the administration and public-facing elements of cultural programming, such as volunteer coordination, front line gallery work, and outreach tasks.
• Professional writing experience an asset
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, social media platforms, and G suite, familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite is an asset
When you become part of the MacEwan team, you will enjoy a competitive salary. Our total compensation package includes:
• Competitive base pay
• Generous vacation time
• Secure pension plan
• Excellent benefits package
• Continuous learning culture
• Opportunities for career growth
How to Apply
Only applications received electronically will be considered. To apply, go to http://www.macewan.ca/careers and select the job posting.
Thank you for your interest in employment with MacEwan University. We will be reviewing all applications to select the candidates whose qualifications and experience most closely meet our needs. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
For general inquiries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position is included under the MacEwan Staff Association Collective Agreement. Please note, initial salary placement for external candidates is limited to the first five steps of the salary grid.
MacEwan University is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage Indigenous people, persons living with a disability, sexual and gender minorities, women, and members of all minority groups to apply and to self-identify. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We strive to provide an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, beginning with the hiring process. If you have special assessment needs, we want to ensure you have the support you need to showcase your abilities. Please disclose any requirements when contacted for an interview. This information will be kept confidential.
|Salary||MSA Band C (Steps 1-5): $21.60 - $26.75 per hour|
|Closing Date||This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. First review of applicants will start July 5, 2021.|
|Competition No.||21.06.078||Apply Online||Apply Now|
Personal Information Collection Notification
Personal information is being collected to determine your qualifications for employment. This information is collected, used and protected under the authority of and in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. It may be provided to non-HR members of a hiring and interview panel if your application advances to that stage of the hiring process. If you have any questions about these arrangements, please contact: Human Resources, University Services Centre, Rm. 10-600, 10700-104 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 4S2 or phone (780) 497-5434.