Office of Sexual Violence and Education
MAVEN Peer Education Program
Call for volunteers | All Students | April 30, 2018
MacEwan Anti-Violence Education Network (MAVEN) Peer Education Program offers a unique and valuable opportunity to receive comprehensive training on sexual violence prevention. When you complete the course, you become a Peer Educator and are given opportunities to create a culture of consent at MacEwan by facilitating workshops and assisting with outreach activities.
This program is designed to foster and support student leadership, recognizing that you are a powerful agent for social change.
Benefits of being a MAVEN Peer Educator
- Become part of the movement to build a campus and a world without sexual violence.
- Develop in-depth knowledge about sexual violence and other forms of power-based interpersonal violence.
- Develop skill and confidence in public speaking and workshop facilitation.
- Learn to effectively communicate complex information to small and large audiences.
- Gain skills to support survivors of sexual violence.
- Experience personal and professional growth.
- Learn to advocate for social change.
- Receive letters of recommendation on request.
- Receive a co-curricular record of your volunteer service.
- Build your resume for graduate school and/or employment.
This volunteer opportunity is open to students of all genders who are registered at MacEwan University during the 2018/19 school year. Candidates must be 18 years of age or older at the time of application. We are looking for empathetic, non-judgmental and dedicated individuals who want to contribute to the campus community in a meaningful way. In particular, we are looking for students who are familiar with campus life and who have flexible schedules, strong communication skills and the desire to actively contribute to a world without violence.
- MAVEN Peer Educators complete 42+ hours of training in Fall 2018. Attendance at all training sessions is mandatory. Tentative dates for 2018/19 training sessions:
|Dates ||Times |
|Thursday, September 6, 2018 ||5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. |
|Saturday, September 8, 2018 ||9 a.m. to 5 p.m. |
|Sunday, September 9, 2018 ||9 a.m. to 5 p.m. |
|Wednesday, September 12, 2018 ||5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. |
|Saturday, September 15, 2018 ||9 a.m. to 5 p.m. |
|Monday, September 17, 2018 ||5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. |
|Saturday, September 22, 2018 ||9 a.m. to 5 p.m. |
- Peer Educators are expected to attend bi-weekly team meetings, held on Monday nights from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. throughout the academic year.
- Peer Educators must dedicate 5 to 15 hours per month to facilitating anti-sexual violence workshops and assisting with OSVPE outreach and awareness activities on campus.
- Peer Educators must commit to Fall and Winter semesters in the 2018/19 academic year.
The selection process has four steps:
- Complete and submit the MAVEN Peer Educator Volunteer application form by April 30, 2018.
- Short-listed applicants will be invited to take part in an interview with the Sexual Violence Prevention and Education Coordinator.
- Successful candidates attend extensive volunteer training in September 2018.
- Training concludes with individual exit interviews where we confirm that volunteers are a good fit with the MAVEN program.