Get Support

If you have experienced sexual violence, we are here to listen, to connect you to resources and to help you explore your options. You are not alone. When you choose what you will do next, we are here to support you. 

You are not required to file a complaint in order to seek support. You can access confidential assistance for a sexual violence incident that happened on-campus, off-campus, as a MacEwan student or staff or before you became part of the MacEwan community. 


Connect with a community of support

MacEwan University’s Sexual Violence Response Coordinator, together with the Sexual Violence Response Team, can refer you to counselling services, coordinate academic or workplace modifications and help you understand the reporting options available to you.

Contact the Sexual Violence Response Coordinator


Consider your options

Whether an incident of sexual violence happened recently or long ago, you may feel that moving forward is an impossible task. We want you to know that you have options; there are many resources on campus and in the community to support you.

Speak to someone you trust

You do not have to face sexual violence alone. Consider talking to a friend, family member, co-worker or someone else you trust. It's okay to let people know what you need.

Seek medical care

If you have been sexually assaulted within the last seven days, consider accessing the Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) at any emergency room in Edmonton. A specially trained nurse can conduct a physical exam and, if you want, collect forensic evidence.

Sexual Assault Response Team (SART)


The medical clinic in the Christenson Family Centre for Sport and Wellness provides primary health care to members of the MacEwan University community.

Medical clinic


If you are concerned about pregnancy or sexually transmitted infections, consider seeking support from the STI Centre of Edmonton, Compass Centre for Sexual Wellness, a medi-centre or a family doctor.

Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI) Clinic 

Compass Centre

Write down what happened

Consider writing down what happened in as much detail as possible. Although this may be a painful and emotional task, your written account can be extremely helpful if you decide to have the incident investigated and pursue criminal prosecution.

Seek counselling or other emotional support

Any MacEwan student can access free, confidential counselling at Wellness and Psychological Services. MacEwan Employees can access the Employee Assistance Program.

Wellness and Psychological Services

Employee Assistance Program

As well, a 24-hour information and support line and free counselling are available through the Sexual Assault Centre of Edmonton.

Sexual Assault Centre of Edmonton

Take care of yourself

There is no right way or wrong way to heal. Everyone's reaction to the experience and trauma of sexual violence is unique. Be gentle with yourself and know that healing from sexual violence can take time.

Consider using these resources  to guide your self-care:

What kind of care do I need?

Interactive self-care guide

Questions to ask before giving up

As well as seeking support from your family, friends and community professionals, there are support services available to you on campus and in Edmonton and surrounding areas.

Campus Resources

Community Resources


24/7 emergency response

For immediate emergency response contact Security Services at 497-5555. Uniformed security officers make regular patrols inside and outside University buildings and will respond to your call immediately.