MacEwan University Corporate Challenge
Corporate Challenge is a two-week Sport and Recreation event with a focus on participation, sportsmanship, team building, and fun. Companies from within Edmonton and the surrounding area compete in 3 streams of events:
- Sports (ex. Volleyball, Basketball, Slo-pitch)
- Recreation (ex. Darts, Lawn Bowling, Cribbage)
- Community Giving (ex. Donate Blood, Big Bike, Volunteer)
There is truly an event for every person and at any skill level!
The games take place from Wednesday, May 23 - Sunday, June 10, 2018
Please direct any questions about Corporate Challenge to Jess Walker.
There are tons of opportunities to get involved in Corporate Challenge!
- Join a Team
- Donate Blood
- Be a Team Captain
- Volunteer @ Events
- Be an Ambassador
- Cheer on our colleagues!
- Giving back - There are two events that focus on helping out local charities - the Canadian Blood Services donor challenge and the Heart and Stroke Big Bike.
- Getting active - Corporate Challenge will help all participants build an active lifestyle. All abilities are welcome to participate - you don’t have to be an elite athlete!
- Building a team - The person you absently pass in the hall will now become your teammate! You’ll build friendships that will make their way back to offices, worksites, and boardrooms.
- Making new connections - You’ll meet people from the many varied companies across Edmonton, and might just create a new business partnership.
To participate in Corporate Challenge, you must:
- Be employed by MacEwan University at the time of the games (includes full-time, part-time, contract, retired or on parental or maternity leave)**
- Compete only with the MacEwan University Corporate Challenge team (employees may not compete for multiple organizations)
- Be 18 years of age or older
*You do NOT have to be employed by MacEwan University to participate in most Community Giving or Special Event Activities (ex. Blood Donation, Raffle Ticket Sales, Party-In-The-Park)
Who is not eligible?
• Professional (i.e. paid) athletes
• College or university-level athletes (playing in the previous school year - i.e. 2016/2017)
Please bring your MacEwan University staff ID Card, as it validates all three components. If you do not own a MacEwan ID card, they can be easily obtained from the Library.
What if I forget my MacEwan ID card? Please present a valid driver’s license and ask your Team Captain for the Human Resources Letter.
What if I’m a late addition and am not on the HR letter? It’s even more important that you bring a MacEwan ID card, as you will not have the "driver’s license + HR letter" back-up strategy to fall back on
- Check the Corporate Challenge Calendar for key dates. MacEwan plays in the Red Division.
- Select your activities based on your availability
- Select your T-shirt size: All Corporate Challenge participants receive a t-shirt. Please review the sizing on the links below and include your size on your registration form.
- REGISTER HERE – opens March 15 @ Noon. Teams are first come, first served. There are NO tryouts.
- Stay in the know with bi-weekly Updates!
Games at a Glance
See below for a list of sports and their dates. Schedules will be available closer to the start of the games. Click on the sport for more details, including team size and event location.
Sun June 10, 2018
The list of scavenger hunt will be announced early June 2018.
- Items are due on Sunday, June 10 at the “Party in the Park” between 11:15-11:45 am. Please arrive by 11a.m. if you are contributing an item on the list.
- Alternatively, drop your items off to Nicole or Cathy in the MSA office (Rm 7-102D). Your items will be returned to you on Monday, June 11.
- Everyone is welcome to participate in the scavenger hunt on behalf of MacEwan University; including friends and family. So please ask around!
- Team Captains: email@example.com
Big Bike for Heart and Stroke
Thurs May 17, 2018 at noon
Meet at Residence Lobby
- A heart-pumping, cheer-thumping, crazy big, fun fundraiser for the Heart and Stroke Foundation!
- Participants ride a 29-seater bicycle around downtown Edmonton!
- Participants are encouraged to raise at least $50 to support Heart and Stroke
- Steps To Register:
1. Complete the online MacEwan form
2. Join the MacEwan BB Riders team
- Team Captains: Marg or Veronica
Blood Donor Challenge
February 1 – June 2, 2018
Corporate Challenge is proud to work with the Canadian Blood Services to help fill the never-ending need for blood. Ways you can help:
- Register as a MacEwan Partner for Life – Click Here
- Donate at MacEwan’s Mobile Clinic – Wednesday March 28 from 9am-2pm
o Select an appointment and secure your spot by emailing Shannon
- Donate off campus at your local Blood Donation Centre
- Encourage those around you to donate!
- MacEwan's Blood Donation Update (March 20) – Click Here
- Company Lead: Shannon
March 1 – June 10, 2018
Where else can $3 buy you a trip to anywhere WestJet flies!? The Corporate Challenge Raffle!
1. Pep-Rally Kick Off
- Date: Wednesday, May 23, 2018
- Location: Plaza at Legislature Grounds
- Event Time: 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- CEO Challenge: 11:30 a.m. - 12:40 p.m.
- CEO Challenge Awards: 12:45 p.m.
Don’t miss the wildest party of the year! Come help kick off Corporate Challenge at our CEO Challenge/Pep Rally! The Pep Rally is free to attend! There will be games for everyone and a hot dog lunch ($8 per person) and must be pre-purchased from Jess Walker.
NOTE: Team Captains will receive a FREE complimentary food ticket.
2. Party in the Park
- Date: Sunday, June 10, 2018
- Location: Borden Park – 76 St. & 112 Ave.
- Time: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- FREE PARKING AT NORTHLANDS
Celebrate the final day of competition with PARTY IN THE PARK! There’s something for everyone!.
Corporate Challenge Extras
If you aren’t currently receiving updates, feel free to “subscribe” to the Corporate Challenge mailing list. You’ll never miss important updates and can unsubscribe at any point.
Share your Corporate Challenge experience photos on Social Media using #MacEwanU and #YEGCorpChall
Check out photos from 2017 events!
Looking to get involved in Corporate Challenge!? There are a variety of ways!
- At Corporate Challenge Events:
MacEwan University must provide 16 volunteers.
For volunteer shift information and role descriptions, please click here.
- Team Captain – Organize members of a sport and lead your team to greatness!
- Corporate Challenge Ambassador – Showcase your love for Corporate Challenge and promote various events/activities around your office.
- Spirit Lead - Coordinate MacEwan’s participation in the “Pep Rally” and “Party in the Park” as well as your internal rallies and celebrations. A great Spirit Captain can boost our spirit points!
- Anyone in affiliation with MacEwan University (Friends and family are welcome to volunteer)
- Over 18 years of age
- Available for the entire length of the shift
Volunteer “No Show” Penalties
Companies that do not provide the volunteers requested will:
- Receive a 3-point deduction for each volunteer shift that is not fulfilled
- Be banned from the Games for the next year at the discretion of the Games Management.
To volunteer or for more information, please email the Volunteer Coordinator: Brett Farquharson.
The MacEwan University Corporate Challenge Committee was composed of the following individuals:
- Jess Walker – Lead Company Coordinator
- Brett Farquharson – Volunteer Coordinator
- Marg Leathem – Big Bike Coordinator
- Veronica Izsak – Big Bike Assistant Coordinator
- Shannon Wilson – Blood Donor Challenge Coordinator
- Connie Veldman – Financial Advisors
- Michael Seredycz – Special Events Coordinator
- Anna Holtby – Marketing Coordinator