MacEwan University Corporate Challenge
Corporate Challenge is a two-week Sport and Recreation event with a focus on participation, sportsmanship, team building, and fun. Companies from within Edmonton and the surrounding area compete in 20 sports and nine spirit events; there is truly an event for every person and at any skill level. Since MacEwan University’s reintroduction into Corporate Challenge participation in 2011, the games have been providing an opportunity to show some MacEwan pride, have fun, and meet people from different organizations.
The games take place from Wednesday, May 23 - Sunday, June 10, 2018. Event locations vary across the city. MacEwan plays in the Red Division; divisions are determined by the number of people in the company.
Corporate Challenge Calendar - key dates for participation
Weekly Updates - important information
Please direct any questions about Corporate Challenge to Jess Walker.
How to Register:
- Online registration for Corporate Challenge 2018 will open March 15, 2018.
- All registrations and team allocations are on a first-come first-served basis.
Benefits to Registering!
- Foster stronger relationships with your office colleagues
- Meet MacEwan employees from other Departments
- Networks with individuals from other companies across Edmonton
- Try a new sport/activity or participate in one you love
- Receive a participant T-shirt and Socks
- Above all… HAVE FUN!
Participation in Corporate Challenge is for MacEwan University employees only*.
All sport competition participants must:
- Be employed by the company at the time of the Games (full-time, part-time, contract, retired, parental and maternity leave employees)
- Play for only one company
- Be 18 years of age or older
*You do NOT have to be employed by the company to participate in most Spirit, Fundraising, Community, or Special Event Activities.
Who is not Eligible?
- Professional (i.e. paid) athletes
- College or university-level athletes (playing in the previous school year)
Corporate Challenge Policy = NO ID, NO PLAY, NO EXCEPTIONS!
In order to play in Corporate Challenge, you need to validate:
- Your name
- Your company
- Your photo
Please bring your MacEwan University staff ID Card, as it validates all three components. If you do not own a MacEwan ID card, they can be easily obtained from the Library.
- What if I forget my MacEwan ID card? Please present a valid driver’s license and ask your Team Captain for the Human Resources Letter.
- What if I’m a late addition and am not on the HR letter? It’s even more important that you bring a MacEwan ID card, as you will not have the "driver’s license + HR letter" back-up strategy to fall back on
Commitment to your team is extremely important. It builds trust, respect, and accountability. However, it is understandable that life happens and sometimes you can no longer follow through with your team commitment.
If you need to withdraw your participation in Corporate Challenge, it is your responsibility to find your team a replacement player. You can utilize the NEW sub-list that will be created from your registration form.
During registration you will be asked to list all sports you would be interested and available to be a substitute player for. A sub-list will be created and available to all Corporate Challenge participants.
This year’s theme is Welcome to the Corporate Challenge Jungle!
Each MacEwan University participant will receive a T-shirt for competition that represents the theme. Particpants are also encouraged to wear jungle swag to show team spirit!
If you have any ideas for this year's t-shirt, please email Jess.
Past year's themes have included:
- 2016 - Showdown at the CC Corral! (Western)
- 2015 - Games of Throwns
- 2014 - Space
- 2013 - Pirates
- 2012 - Super Heroes
Additional information about important Corporate Challenge Policies and Procedures can be found in the links below. Please be familiar with these topics prior to participating.
Showing ID (Acceptable forms of individual identification)
Game Day Information (Schedules, Rosters, Registration process, Start-Times)
Cancellations/No Shows (Penalties for missing a scheduled game)
Scoring and Points (Awards, Overall Team Points, Pool vs. Non-Pool Play Points)
Overall Winners 2017
1st Edmonton Public Schools
2nd Enbridge Pipelines Inc.
3rd University of Alberta
MacEwan finished in 11th place in this year’s “Totally Excellent 80’s Adventure” Corporate Challenge Games! Specific sport results for MacEwan University can be found here and overall Red Division point allocation can be found here.
Spirit Challenge Winners
1st ATB Financial
2nd Enbridge Pipelines
3rd Service Alberta and Municipal Affairs
MacEwan University placed 4th in Spirit Points! We received 8 Spirit point nominations from other companies, well done! For the full summary, click here.
1st Place CARNA-HAE
2nd Place EPCOR
3rd Place Duncan Craig LLP
Games at a Glance
For information on the team size for each Sport, please click here.
Teams that are united with team spirit are often the ones that raise to the highest level of performance, both in and out of the workplace. There are activities for everyone at MacEwan to participate in…. including fundraising activities, contests, scavenger hunts and special activities for our CEO!
Spirit Award Challenge points can be received in the following activities:
1. CEO Pep Rally Challenge [50 Spirit Award Points]
The CEO Challenge kicks off Corporate Challenge! Join us in Churchill Square and cheer on MacEwan CEO’s/Senior Managers as they take on a series of fun challenges!
2. CEO Team Participation Challenge [Up to 75 Spirit Award Points]
Up to FIVE CEOs/Senior Managers from each company can sign up to earn additional Spirit Points just by participating on any of your sport teams. These individuals must be pre-registered and will receive a CEO/Senior Manager ‘tickets’ from Jess Walker that they can turn in when they register to play for your team (up to a maximum of 3 events for 75 points).
3. Team Nominations [10 Spirit Award Points per nomination]
Companies will be given the opportunity to nominate other teams for great spirit, good deeds, or anything they feel was deserving of spirit points. Nomination forms will be handed out to the team Captain at each event. Every team will get 10 spirit points for each nomination received.
4. Big Bike Challenge for Heart & Stroke [up to 125 Spirit Award Points]
Just for participating in the Big Bike for Heart & Stroke, your team will earn 50 Spirit Points. PLUS - if you raise the minimum amount of $1450 (as a team) for Heart and Stroke, your team will get 75 Spirit Points.
More details under “Community Giving/Fundraising Events” listed below
5. Scavenger Hunt [up to 200 Spirit Points]
- Everyone is welcome to participate in the scavenger hunt on behalf of MacEwan University; including friends and family. So please ask around!
- Every item found will be worth Spirit Points!
- Please bring your “found” items to the “Party in the Park” in Borden Park.
- If you have items on the list but will not be attending the BBQ, you can drop them off to Room 8-121. All items will be labeled and returned to their original owner following Monday, June 11.
6. T-Shirt Contest [150 Spirit Points]
Each company will come up with a t-shirt design that embraces the yearly theme while showing off your company’s sense of fun! Prizes will be awarded to the best t-shirt in each division. Judging of the t-shirt contest is done by our official graphic design team at Backstreet Graphics. All T-shirts will be displayed in the Beer Gardens at “Party in the Park” on Sunday, June 10.
Check out MacEwan's 2017 T-Shirt design!
1. Brain Freeze- Winter Trivia Contest
- Date: March 6 & 8, 2017
- Location: Schanks Sports Grill, 9927-178 Street
- Check in: 5:30 - 6:15pm
- Game Time: 6:30pm - 9:00pm
- Cost: $60 per team, per day.
* Prizes awarded to the top teams each night!
2. Pep-Rally Kick Off
- Date: Wednesday, May 24, 2017
- Location: Sir Winston Churchill Square
- Event Time: 11:30am – 1pm
- CEO Challenge: 11:30am - 12:40pm
- CEO Challenge Awards: 12:45pm
Don’t miss the most mega-cool party of the year! Come help kick off Corporate Challenge at our CEO Challenge/Pep Rally! The Pep Rally is free to attend, but there will be a hot dog lunch. Food tickets are $8 per person and must be pre-purchased from Jess Walker.
NOTE: Team Captains will receive a FREE complimentary food ticket for taking on the role.
3. Party in the Park
- Date: Sunday, June 11, 2017
- Location: Borden Park – 76 St. & 112 Ave.
- Time: 11:00am – 5:00pm
- FREE PARKING AT NORTHLANDS
Celebrate the final day of competition with PARTY IN THE PARK! There’s something for everyone!. FREE MacEwan University staff BBQ. Family members are welcome to attend as well! This Please RSVP for you and your family.
Check out the events and activities!
4. Awards Night
Awards for Corporate Challenge will be presented at a special ceremony following the Games. Awards given out will include:
- Overall Divisional winners
- Spirit Challenge winners
- T-shirt Contest winners
- Blood Donor Challenge awards
The event will be free of charge and open to everyone. Further details will be posted!
The list of scavenger hunt will be announced early June 2018.
Everyone is welcome to participate in the scavenger hunt on behalf of MacEwan University; including friends and family. So please ask around!
Items are due on Sunday, June 10 at the “Party in the Park” (Borden Park; 76 st. & 112 Ave) between 11:15-11:45 am. Please arrive by 11a.m. if you are contributing an item on the list.
If you have items on the list but will not be attending the BBQ, you can drop them off in the MSA office (Rm 7-102D). Your items will be available for pick-up on Monday, June 101.
Big Bike for Heart and Stroke
- Big Bike is a crazy big, fun bike ride! 20 minutes, 29 riders power, 1 Big Bike.
- MacEwan University and the Heart and Stroke Foundation are reaching a shared vision: Healthy lives free of heart disease and stroke. Almost all of us, our family or our friends have been or will be affected in some way by Cardiovascular Disease. This is a small (and fun) way we can support this cause.
- Join the MacEwan Team, contact Marg or Veronica with any additional questions.
Blood Donor Challenge
- Canadian Blood Services and MacEwan University joined forces to participate in this year’s Blood Donor Challenge!
- MacEwan University goal for 2018 is 200 Units of Blood.
- To book an appointment & donate, please visit www.blood.ca or call 1-888-2-DONATE (1-888-236-6283) and find a clinic near you. Five minutes of your day is all it takes to save 3 lives.
- Where else can $3 buy you a trip to anywhere WestJet flies!? The Corporate Challenge Raffle tickets can be purchase through Jess Walker in 8-121; Sport and Wellness Admin Office. Watch the weekly updates for when the raffle tickets will be available.
- For a complete list of prizes, please visit the Corporate Challenge website.
Draw conducted Friday, June 22, 2018.
Corporate Challenge Extras
Team trivia contest, March 5 & 6, Shanks Bar and Grill, $60/team. Awesome prizes to be won.
Each year we try to get employees together for a Corporate Challenge Spirit Event. It’s an opportunity to mingle with one another and celebrate our participation. To increase attendance, we are curious to know what option you’d like better:
Pancake Breakfast [NEW] - this will happen early May in the MPR; likely 8-9 a.m.
T-shirts will be distributed and you’ll meet your teammates. Event is FREE and only open to Corporate Challenge Team members.This would replace the FREE BBQ in Borden Park
--- OR ---
Party In The Park - same as previous years. A FREE barbeque hosted on Sunday, June 10 in Borden Park. Families are welcome.
Our attendance at this event is still encouraged as MacEwan competes in Yard Games, plus there are Food Trucks, Beer Gardens, and Family activities all day. The change would be that MacEwan would not host a FREE barbeque; instead would host the Pancake breakfast.
Please vote Here.
If you aren’t currently receiving updates, feel free to “subscribe” to the Corporate Challenge mailing list. You’ll never miss important updates and can unsubscribe at any point.
Wednesday March 28, 9 a.m.- 2 p.m. at the Paul Byrne Hall.
Reserve your appointment from this list by emailing Shannon Wilson. Please complete this form following appointment confirmation.
Anyone can donate on behalf of MacEwan Univeristy, encourage family and friends to donate on our behalf!
Share your Corporate Challenge experience photos on Social Media using #MacEwanU and #YEGCorpChall
Check out photos from 2017 events!
In an effort to keep the cost of the Games reasonable, each participating company is required to supply volunteers to assist in the running of the Games. Volunteering is another way to get involved in Corporate Challenge!
- Anyone in affiliation with MacEwan University (Friends and family are welcome to volunteer)
- Over 18 years of age
- Available for the entire length of the shift
Volunteer “No Show” Penalties
Companies that do not provide the volunteers requested will:
- receive a 3-point deduction for each volunteer shift that is not fulfilled
- be banned from the Games for the next year at the discretion of the Games Management.
The Corporate Challenge committee is continually striving to make Corporate Challenge the best possible experience for MacEwan employees, such as yourselves. All feedback (both positive and constructive) is extremely appreciated and valued.
Please take a moment and complete this anonymous feedback form. Thank you!
The MacEwan University Corporate Challenge Committee was composed of the following individuals:
- Jess Walker – Lead Company Coordinator
- Brett Farquharson – Volunteer Coordinator
- Marg Leathem – Big Bike Coordinator
- Veronica Izsak – Big Bike Assistant Coordinator
- Shannon Wilson – Blood Donor Challenge Coordinator
- Connie Veldman & Christine Zelsinski – Financial Advisors
- Michael Seredycz – “Party in the Park” BBQ Coordinator
- Stephanie Sparks – Marketing Coordinator
Looking for more ways to get involved? We are always interested in expanding our committee. Here are a few ways you could join our team:
- Team Captain – Organize members of a sport and lead your team to greatness!
- Corporate Challenge Ambassador – Showcase your love for Corporate Challenge and promote various events/activities around your office.
- Spirit Lead - Coordinate MacEwan’s participation in the “Pep Rally” and “Party in the Park” as well as your internal rallies and celebrations. A great spirit captain can boost our spirit points!