Information for Employees

The university has developed comprehensive guidelines for a safe workplace, learning spaces and new procedures for campus operations. 

These plans align with the guidelines and orders issued by Alberta Health Services and the Chief Medical Officer of Health.

COVID-19 self-reporting

An online reporting tool, the COVID-19 reporting form, is in place to assist the university in responding appropriately when a person who has been on campus has experienced COVID-19 like symptoms, has been confirmed as a positive case or is self-isolating as per the Chief Medical Officer’s orders.

University Response to Illness or Exposure

The Office of Health, Safety and Environment will monitor COVID-19 reports daily and follow up with students, staff, and faculty if additional information is required. If two or more students, staff, and faculty present with symptoms and have been linked through a location (classroom, laboratory or residence), HSE will contact Alberta Health Services to report the cases. Alberta Health Services will liaise with the HSE director for further requests of information (attendance records) and next steps to be taken by the university.

Reporting violations

If you have concerns or become aware an individual is not complying with quarantine/self-isolation requirements or other public health orders, please contact Alberta Health Services by

You can also report on-campus concerns to MacEwan Security at 780-497-5554.

Masks or Face Coverings on Campus

On July 1, 2021, the province lifted regulations and recommendations for wearing masks and physical distancing. The City of Edmonton has also rescinded its masking bylaw. In accordance, the university rescinded its mask policy: the wearing of masks or face coverings is no longer required on campus. We acknowledge that some individuals may choose to continue to wear masks and practice physical distancing. We ask that you join us in respecting and supporting the choices of other individuals.

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

Personal protective equipment (PPE)

A process is in place to guide areas in identifying existing and potential hazards related to COVID-19.

If the use of PPE is deemed necessary, it will be provided to employees. More information about personal protective equipment is available on our Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) site.

For more information

Visit the HSE Respiratory Protection site.

Resources for returning to campus

All employees should complete the online orientation course which outlines the measures the university has put in place for a safe return to campus and how to protect yourself from COVID-19.

Online orientation course

Navigating Campus During COVID-19: a guide for the MacEwan community

MacEwan has also created an online guide, Navigating Campus During COVID-19, for the MacEwan community. The guide will assist in understanding the health and safety measures and requirements in place on campus, and features resources and scenarios to help navigate and make decisions related to real-world situations. The guide is available through Blackboard and will take about 15 minutes to complete.

To access the course:

  1. Log in to Blackboard
  2. Select “Self-Enroll Courses”
  3. Select “Navigating Campus During COVID19 Guidebook” under the Health, Safety & Environment heading
  4. Click “Submit”

If you have trouble accessing the course, please contact Technology Support at


Working from home

Employees and supervisors should discuss expectations and guidelines for working from home.

Self-care during COVID-19

The COVID-19 pandemic can have a significant impact on your mental health. This is a very uncertain and disruptive time, and you may be experiencing heightened anxiety or stress. Resources are available if you, or someone you know, needs some extra support.

Employees are encouraged to discuss their concerns with their supervisor, or to reach out for support to MacEwan’s Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP), a confidential and voluntary service that is available to benefit-eligible employees and their families. Services can be provided remotely over the phone or using web-based tools. Contact Morneau Shepell at 1-800-387-4765, TTY: 1-877-338-0275 and/or

The Mental Health Help Line of the Government of Alberta (1-877-303-2642) is also available 24/7 to provide advice and referrals to community supports near you.

The following online resources are also available:

Employees who are unwell

If you are unwell while you are working from home you are not expected to work when you are sick. Focus on getting healthy. If you think you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, complete the Alberta Health Services COVID-19 self-assessment. Based on the outcome of the assessment, you may be directed to self-isolate and contact Health Link at 811 for further instructions about testing, if required. Please ensure you keep your manager/supervisor informed of your situation.

Technical Support

Employees who work from home should be aware of the privacy and sensitivity of the information they are accessing because of additional IT security risks that may be introduced when working from home. The recommended option for working at home is to use the university’s secure VPN network, which can be downloaded to a home desktop or laptop or your MacEwan-supplied laptop. Learn more on the Tech Support page in myPortal.

For IT and technical support, contact Tech Support at

Cyber security while working from home

It’s more important than ever for all of us to take extra precautions to ensure that our home working environments are secure. With much of Canada's workforce working outside their organizations’ IT security perimeters, the Canadian Centre for Cyber Security recently stated that cyber attackers are more frequently and aggressively looking to exploit teleworking connections.

MacEwan's Information Security office has posted a Cyber Security Checklist on the university portal, which provides guidelines for securing your home network and accounts as well as best practices for protecting computers, data and documents.

myPortal Cyber Security Checklist


Worker’s Compensation Board (WCB) coverage is applicable for working at home. Employees are expected to report any work-related injury to their manager/supervisor immediately.

Privacy and security

Employees are responsible for maintaining privacy and ensuring the confidentiality and security of information as they would at a MacEwan work site. All MacEwan policies regarding privacy, appropriate access to information, information security and appropriate use of internet and MacEwan technology apply to working from home as they would in a MacEwan worksite.

Tax credits and expenses for working at home

Income tax expenses - workspace in the home

To simplify the process for both taxpayers and businesses, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will allow employees who worked from home in 2020 due to COVID-19 to claim up to $400, based on the amount of time working from home, without the need to track detailed expenses. CRA will not request employees to obtain a signed form from their employer or keep detailed records of expenses. This measure will help taxpayers access deductions they are entitled to receive and simplify the tax filing process.

More information is available on the Payroll Services page of

Eligible work expenses

Employees are encouraged to speak to their supervisor or expense approver about reimbursements of eligible work expenses under the Allowable Expenses Policy. Contact Expense Services ( for assistance with expense claims and general inquiries.

Policies, directives, procedures

Employees who work from home must adhere to all MacEwan policies and procedures.


Please contact humanresources@macewan.cawith any questions or for more information.


University Travel

Travel for university business

After reviewing the global situation and consulting with other institutions, MacEwan has made the decision to extend its ban on international travel for faculty, staff and students until August 2021. 

This decision is in the best interests of our for faculty, staff and students and is in line with the Government of Canada’s recommendation to avoid all non-essential travel outside Canada. The international travel ban includes all university-sanctioned international travel including student exchanges and study abroad as well as any travel for research or other scholarly activity such as conferences, meetings, professional development, and collaborations.

Returning from travel

On the advice of Alberta Health Services we are asking that students, faculty and staff returning from any international travel to self-isolate for 14 days after the date of arrival. If symptoms present contact Alberta Health Services Health Link (call 811).

  • If you are returning from any travel, closely monitor your health for at least 14 days.
  • If you have symptoms, avoid contact with others and contact Alberta Health Services Health Link (call 811)
  • If symptoms persist or get worse, seek medical care. Before visiting your healthcare provider in person, inform them about your symptoms and recent travel.