Moving to another country to attend university requires careful planning: completing paperwork, arranging accommodations, saving enough money. There are plenty of resources available to help you get ready to study abroad.

Health and safety

Ensuring personal health and safety is an important part of preparing for your overseas experience. Some preparation needs to take place several months before you leave Canada. MacEwan University policy stipulates that all students travelling internationally on an exchange, internship or on other university business (such as presenting at or attending a conference, completing a practicum, or volunteering through a MacEwan University club) must obtain the necessary travel authorization at least 30 days prior to departure. Once your travel authorization has been approved, you are required to

Attend a pre-departure orientation:

February 1, 2018 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. room 7-146
March 6, 2018 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. room 7-184
March 21, 2018 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. room 7-146
April 5, 2018 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. room 7-142
April 18, 2018 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. room 7-139
May 2, 2018 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. room 7-139
June 4, 2018 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. room 7-139
July 4, 2018 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. room 7-122


Register with ERS by completing the Student Travel Authorization Form

If you are participating in a student group travel, your faculty advisor will complete your form for you.

Health Information Sources

Government of Canada

The Government of Canada's Travel and Tourism site contains information for Canadians travelling abroad.

Government of Canada // Travel and Tourism

Government of Canada Travel Health

The Public Health Agency of Canada provides comprehensive information about travel health.

Government of Canada // Travel Health

Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Travel Health Services provides information on health risks, vaccines, and preventing travel-related illnesses.

Alberta Health Services // Travel Health Services