Tuition, Fees & Costs

Going to university can be financially demanding: tuition fees, services fees, books and supplies. It all adds up. But with a bit of planning, you can enjoy all that student life has to offer.

Use the tuition estimator to calculate the fees you can expect in a single, four-month term.

Tuition estimator for International students


Select the program you are interested in:


Select the number of credits you will take in a term:

*Tuition and fees for international students in fall or winter terms are calculated on a minimum of nine credits. Even if you take fewer than nine credits, you will be charged the international student tuition for nine credits ($6030).


Select your student status:

Information on Canadian and International student status is found on our Tuition and Term Fees page


Credits and course load

You must take a minimum of nine credits to be considered a full-time student. Most courses are worth three credits and most programs consider 15 credits (five courses) a maximum full-time course load for one term.

International Professional Development programs

Fees for International Professional Development 1-year programs can be found on the International Professional Development overview page.

Reporting tuition on your student permit extension 

When you apply for a student permit extension, you may need to include evidence of your upcoming tuition costs. Calculate your tuition estimate for one term with 15 credits, print the page and include it with your permit extension application.

When you indicate the tuition amount on your permit extension application, multiply the estimate by two so that it covers both fall and winter terms.

Cost of living

As well as tuition and fees, you need to plan for the day-to-day costs of a student living away from home, such as food, accommodation and socializing. Print the cost-of-living table and include it with your study permit application.

Cost of living estimate (PDF)

Immigration Status Change

If you receive Permanent Resident, Protected Person, or Convention Refugee status in Canada, tuition and fees will be assessed at the domestic rate beginning in the term the change in immigration status takes effect. If notification and the applicable supporting documentation is received by the OUR by the Last day to add or drop Regular Session classes, the change takes effect in the current academic term. Any notification, including the submission of supporting documentation, received after the Last day to add or drop Regular Session classes will result in the change taking effect in the next academic term.

Refugees or Protected Persons

If the IRB has accepted your claim and you have Convention Refugee or Protected Person status, submit your Notice of Decision to the OUR. Convention Refugees or Protected Persons who do not have Permanent Residence status must consult with a regulated immigration advisor at MacEwan International before applying to the university to discuss study permit requirements while awaiting a decision on their Permanent Residence status application.

Refugee or Protected Person claimants

Refugee or Protected Person claimants whose Notice of Decision is pending are deemed to be an international student when enrolled at the university and are subject to all policies and regulations applicable to international students. This includes the assessment of tuition and fees which are assessed at the international tuition rate. Most Refugee and Protected Person claimants require a study permit to pursue post-secondary studies. Consult a regulated immigration advisor at MacEwan International to discuss your study permit requirements.

IRCC // Study permits: Refugees and protected persons