Visiting Students

MacEwan University students

who want to visit other institutions:

If you are a current program student at MacEwan University and you want to take courses towards your credential at another recognized post-secondary institution, you must contact your program at MacEwan University for specific procedures before you enrol in a course at another institution.

A letter of permission gives you visiting student status and is the only guarantee of credit at MacEwan University upon successful completion of your course.

Students from other institutions

who want to visit MacEwan University:

If you are a program student at another Canadian post-secondary institution and wish to take a course here at MacEwan University, follow these steps:


1. Review available courses:

Search online for classes available for Open Studies students.

Search for classes

If the course you are looking to take is not available to Open Studies students, contact the applicable program. Permission is required and will be subject to seat availability*.

*The following Arts & Science courses are in high demand and are not available to visiting students during the Fall and Winter terms. These courses are more accessible during the Spring/Summer term.

  • BIOL (all courses)

  • CHEM 101, 102

  • CHME 103, 105

  • CMPT (all courses)

  • ENGL 199

  • ENCP, ENGG, ENPH (all courses)

  • MATH 100, 101, 102, 114

  • PHYS 130

  • PSYC 212, all 300- and 400-level PSYC

  • all 300- and 400-level SOCI


2. Request a letter of permission from your home institution

You will need a letter from your home institution indicating the courses you have permission to take at MacEwan University and that you are a student in good academic standing. Generally, only students in good academic standing will be considered for visiting student status.


3. Apply to Open Studies

Apply to Open Studies through ApplyAlberta. A non-refundable application fee is required.


Apply through ApplyAlberta



4. Submit your letter of permission to MacEwan University

Submit the letter from your home institution along with your contact information (home telephone number, mailing address and e-mail address) to the Office of the University Registrar at MacEwan University.


Questions can be directed to Future Student Advisors.