Diplomas and Degrees

If you are pursuing part-time post-secondary studies, you may be eligible for student funding from the provincial and/or federal government, the Advancing Futures bursary or a student line of credit from a bank or credit union.

Government Funding for Part-time Studies

You need to complete only one application, the Application for Financial Assistance for Part-time Post-Secondary Studies. Your funding from both governments is calculated automatically.

General information

  • Apply early; at least six to eight weeks before the start of your course(s).
  • The funding is intended to help cover the cost of tuition, books, travel and child care (if applicable).

Eligibility requirements

  • You must reside in Alberta while you are a part-time student.
  • You must demonstrate financial need.
  • Eligibility for funding is determined by using an income threshold table based on line 150 of your income tax return. You will only be considered for funding if your income and assets are less than the amounts outlined in the threshold tables.
  • You and your spouse’s/partner’s income will be considered in determining your eligibility for funding.
  • Any federal or provincial loans you have must be in good standing.
  • Courses must lead to a certificate, diploma or degree.

Application process

1. Download the application form from Student Aid Alberta.
2. Get a Student Advisor in the Office of the University Registrar to fill in Section 5.
3. Submit your application to Student Aid Alberta.

Application deadline

Student Aid Alberta must receive your application at least 30 days before the end of your study period; however, if you need your funding to pay for your tuition, apply at least eight weeks before the start of your class(es).

Receiving your money

If you qualify for government part-time funding, your Student Award letter will outline your award and when you will receive it.

  • Canada part-time loans will be issued by certificate and mailed to you. This certificate must be signed by a Student Advisor in the Office of the University Registrar and then taken to an authorized Canada Post Outlet for processing.
  • Canada part-time grants will be issued by cheque and mailed to you.
  • For Alberta part-time grants, Student Aid Alberta will confirm enrolment from MacEwan University before mailing a cheque to you.

Advancing Futures Bursary

If you had a Permanent Guardianship Order (PGO) between the time you were 13 and 18 years old or have been in the care of custody of Alberta Children and Youth Services between the ages of 13 and 22, you might be eligible for the Advancing Futures bursary. This funding will cover upgrading, certificate, diploma, applied degree and degree programs and is open to full- and part-time students.

Student Line of Credit

If you do not qualify for government funding, your other option is to apply for a student line of credit through a financial institution.