General Information

Student loan programs are designed to help you reach your educational/career goal so you can experience the full range of university student life while you balance work and your studies.

Student Aid Alberta Loan application

The Student Aid Alberta Loan application opens early June. To access student loans:

  1. Apply through your province/territory of residency. Applications open in early June for the upcoming academic year (for studies beginning on or after August 1). 

  2. After applying you will receive a Student Award Letter and your Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement forms (MSFAA). Your Student Award letter lets you know how much your award will be for the year. You must fill out your MSFAA forms and take them to a designated Canada Post Outlet (list is included in the brown loan application envelope).  You must have government issued photo identification (e.g. drivers' license or passport), government issued proof of social insurance number (SIN card) and banking information with you.

  3. Register in a full-time course load in all of your terms so MacEwan University can confirm your enrolment with your student loan provider. You must be accepted to your program to register in your courses.

  4. Don't pay twice! We will request your tuition to be sent directly from your loan provider if the tuition has not been paid. If you do not have enough funding from your loan provider for your tuition, you are responsible for the balance before the tuition payment deadline.

  5. Make a budget for the year.

If it seems like you did not receive enough funding to cover your expenses for the year, you might be able to appeal your loan. Submit a request for review or contact your loan provider.

You must apply for funding each academic year.

The above is the process for Student Aid Alberta funding—some provinces and territories may differ slightly in their processes.

First-time loan applicant?

Visit Student Aid Alberta's Apply site for information on student loan processes.  

To learn more about your national student loans, watch NSLSC's online orientation »

Submitting documents

Some loan documents can be uploaded directly into your student record through myStudentSystem

  1. Log in to
  2. Launch myStudentSystem
  3. From your student homepage, select My Documents
  4. Choose the Document Type from the dropdown menu
  5. Upload the document (.PDF only)