Physical Safety

Students, employees, visitors and contractors—we are serious about the safety of everyone on campus. If you see a situation that puts you or others at risk of injury or illness, or if you have been injured on campus, reach out to us for help.  

Tripping over a loose hallway tile, slipping in the shower in the aquatic centre, an inadvertent needle poke in your nursing course, an encounter with a violent or potentially violent individual, a chemical burn in science class, spilled food or liquids in the hallway, construction debris, wheelchair accessible doors that won’t open—any time you are injured or come across a situation that has the potential to injure you, let us know. That way, we can address the situation and keep you and others safe.

Health, Safety and Environment

Our office is responsible for ensuring a healthy and safe campus for students, staff, faculty, visitors and contractors. We provide educational programs, such as WHMIS; oversee incident reporting; and guide you through the WCB claims process if needed.

Health, Safety and Environment

MacEwan University Health Centre

MacEwan students, faculty and staff have access to comprehensive physical and mental health care, including disease prevention, health promotion, acute care and chronic care at the MacEwan University Health Centre (MUHC).

Appointments can be booked by phone or online.

MacEwan University Health Centre


MacEwan University Health Centre
10507 – 109 Street
Edmonton, AB



If you would rather not walk by yourself to your car, the LRT station or a bus stop after hours, come see us at Safe Walk. Two volunteers will walk with you to any destination within a five-block radius of City Centre Campus. If no one is at our Safe Walk location when you arrive, call us and we can let you know when a walking partner will be available.

Safe Walk

780-497-5487 |

Welcome Desk (Building 7 foyer)
City Centre Campus
10700 – 104 Avenue
Edmonton, AB

11-104, Allard Hall
11110 – 104 Avenue
Edmonton, AB

Hours of operation

For your safety and ours, Safe Walk will not be operating for the fall 2020 semester. We’re working hard to bring the service back in winter 2021.

Security Services

Our team responds to a range of situations: lost and found items, suspicious activity, potentially dangerous conditions and emergencies, such as fire, extreme weather or threats to personal safety. We can help if you are in distress, feel unsafe, are worried about a student or have experienced or witnessed violence on campus.

Security Services

780-497-5554 |

Security Service Counter
8-215, City Centre Campus
10700 – 104 Avenue
Edmonton, AB

Urgent 780-497-5555 | Police/Fire/Ambulance 911

Reporting process 

When an individual is involved in an incident, they must report the incident within 48 hours (or when reasonably practicable). The process varies depending on their role at MacEwan University.


  • Students involved in an incident during the course of work or study assignments must report it to their MacEwan Instructor.

  • Students involved in an incident during a practicum must report it to their MacEwan instructor and follow the practicum organization’s incident reporting process.

  • Students involved in an incident on campus that is not related to academic activities or work must report it to Security Services.

  • Students involved in an incident during a sport and wellness activity must report it to a Sport and Wellness employee. 

Faculty and Staff

  • Staff involved in an incident must report it to their manager/supervisor.

  • Faculty involved in an incident must report it to their Dean, or designate, of the faculty or school. 

Individuals reporting on behalf of those involved

  • Deans (or designates), MacEwan instructors, managers/Supervisors, Sport and Wellness employees and Security Services must record the incident using the Health and Safety Incident Report form and submit it to the Office of Health, Safety and Environment at within 48 hours or when reasonably practicable.

Forms are available in the Forms Cabinet.

If the injury/illness requires immediate assistance, 911 should be called first, and then call MacEwan Security Services at 780-497-5555.

Phone 5554 Blue Icon

Security Services - Information

Phone 5555 Blue Icon

Security Services - Urgent
On-Campus Blue Phones (Push Red Button)

Phone 911 Red Icon

Edmonton Emergency Services
Police, Fire, Ambulance

Workers' compensation

Employees who get hurt while conducting work activities and students who get hurt conducting academic activities, including interns or practicums on or off campus, need to complete a WCB form.

WCB Worker/Student Report

WCB Employer Report

Cannabis on campus

With the October 17 legalization of cannabis, you may have questions about safe use at MacEwan.

more information