Assistant Professor, Economics
PhD (Ottawa), MA (UBC), MSS (Dhaka), BSS (Dhaka)
7-360C, City Centre Campus10700 - 104 AvenueEdmonton, AB780-633-3648
Rafat Alam was born in Khulna, Bangladesh, and holds undergraduate and graduate degrees in Economics from the University of Dhaka, Bangladesh. He completed his MA at the University of British Columbia and Ph.D at the University of Ottawa. His PhD thesis was on trade and its impact on the conservation of biodiversity. Rafat started as a policy analyst in Environment Canada and moved to MacEwan University in 2006. Rafat is currently an assistant professor and discipline coordinator at the Economics Program. He is engaged in undergraduate instruction in the areas of microeconomics, development economics, environmental economics, contemporary Canadian economic issues and cost benefit analysis. His research interests are Economics of Biodiversity Conservation, Environmental Economics, Development Economics and Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Economics. He runs and supervises the Economics work placement program. He is involved in university committees and faculty governance. He served the Faculty Association Negotiating Committee for three terms, was a member of Academic Governance Council for 6 years, AGC Vice Chair for one year, served the university committees on the creation of ‘new faculty governance structure’ and ‘rank and title’ at MacEwan. He was also involved in program development, faculty governance and rank and titling guideline creation at the department level.
Available to supervise honours or individual study students.
Economics of biodiversity conservation, cost benefit analysis, environmental impact analysis, economics of developing countries, scholarship of teaching and learning in economics
Teaching and Research Interests
- ECON 101: Introduction to Microeconomics
- ECON 102: Introduction to Macroeconomics
- ECON 213: Economics of the developing Countries
- ECON 319: Contemporary Canadian Economic Issues
- ECON 355: Cost Benefit Analysis
- ECON 369: Environmental Economics
- ECON 414: Development Economics
- ECON 467: Environmental and natural resource policy
- ECON 401: Economics Work Placement
- ECON 403: Individual Study
Selected Publications / Presentations / Conference Papers
- Alam, Rafat. “Connecting the Dots: Applying Classroom Learning in Economics at Workplace." Journal of Higher Education Theory and Practice. (accepted).
- Alam, Rafat, & Nguyen, Van Quyen (2007). ‘Impact of International Trade on Biodiversity’ in Kontoleon, Andreas; Pascual, Unai; & Swanson, Timothy (editors). Biodiversity Economics: Principles, Methods and Application. Cambridge University Press.
- Alam, Rafat, Chakraborty, Gobinda, & Bhattacharjee, Haripada (April, 1999). “Indicators of Currency Crisis: The East Asian Experience.” Bangladesh Institute of International and Strategic Studies (BIIS) [Journal], Vol. 20, No. 2.
- Alam, Rafat & Shahidul Islam. "Impact of Light Rail on Property Values and Commuting Behaviour: The Case of Edmonton." Transportation. (currently under review paper)
- Alam, Rafat. [Paper presentation]. “Student preference of attributes of economics teaching: Analysis of evidences from 'ratemyprofessor.com.'” Canadian Economics Association Annual Conference, Toronto, Ontario, May 29-May 31, 2015.
Awards / Grants / Fellowships
- Alberta Association of Colleges and Technical Institutes Research Grant (2010)
- MacEwan University Internal Resrach Grant (2011)
- Commonwealth Fellowship (1999-2005)
Professional Associations / Memberships
- Canadian Economics Association
- Western Economics Association International
- Association of Economic and Development Studies of Bangladesh