Assistant Professor, Political Science
Discipline and Honours Advisor, Political Science
PhD (Laval), MA (Montreal), BA (Ottawa)
7-367B, City Centre Campus10700 – 104 AvenueEdmonton, AB780-497-4299
Jean-Christophe Boucher is a research director at the Centre Interuniversitaire de recherche sur les relations internationales du Québec et du Canada. He completed a BA in History from Ottawa University, a master's degree in Philosophy from the University of Montreal, and received his PhD in Political Science at Université Laval in December 2011. His main research interests and publications have focused on peace and security studies, Canadian foreign and defence policies, quantitative analysis and methodology.
Available to supervise honours or individual study students.
Conflict analysis, Conflict management, Canadian foreign and defense policies, methodology
Teaching and Research Interests
- Canadian foreign policy
- Foreign policy analysis
- Conflict analysis
- Conflict management
- Quantitative analysis
Selected Publications / Presentations / Conference Papers
- Boucher, Jean-Christophe, “The Cost of Bandwagoning. Canada-US Defence and Security Relations after 9/11,” International Journal 67, no. 4 (2012): 895-914.
- Boucher, Jean-Christophe.“The Responsibility to Think Clearly: The Realist Internationalism of the Harper Government (2006-2011).” In Canada and the World: Internationalism in Canadian Foreign Policy. Edited by Heather A. Smith and Claire Turenne-Sjolander. Don Mills: Oxford University Press, 2012.
- (2011) Roussel, Stéphane and Jean-Christophe Boucher. “The Myth of the Pacific Society: Quebec’s Contemporary Strategic Culture revisited” Readings in Canadian Foreign Policy, Christopher J. Kukucha and Duane Bratt (eds), Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- (2010) Boucher, Jean-Christophe. “Evaluating the Trenton effect: Canadian Public opinion and Military casualties in Afghanistan 2006-2010)”, American Review of Canadian Studies 40 (2): 237-258.
- (2010) Massie, Justin, Jean-Christophe Boucher and Stéphane Roussel. “Hijacking a Policy? Assessing Quebec’s “Undue” Influence on Canada’s Afghan Policy” American Review of Canadian Studies 40 (2): 259-275.
Professional Associations / Memberships
- International Studies Association
- Canadian Political Science Association