PhD (Western), MA (Western), BA Honours (New Brunswick)
6-323F, City Centre Campus10700 – 104 AvenueEdmonton, AB780-497-5358
Nancy Digdon is a veteran teacher who has taught at MacEwan for over 20 years. Before coming to MacEwan, she completed a residency in psychosocial oncology at the Cross Cancer Institute in Edmonton, and became certified as a Registered Psychologist in Alberta. Nancy is a passionate teacher who enjoys developing curriculum and creating opportunities for student development.
In addition to teaching, Nancy conducts research, and plays an active role on several university committees.
Available to supervise honours or individual study students.
history of psychology, sleep, circadian rhythms, health psychology
Teaching and Research Interests
Courses Taught Recently
- PSYC 307 Health Psychology
- PSYC 301 History and Systems of Psychology
- PSYC 212 Experimental Psychology
- PSYC 405 Special Topics: Sleep Research
Nancy has varied research interests that are inspired by her diverse teaching. Her current research projects are on:
- self-help interventions for university students’ sleep difficulties
- historical research on Watson and Rayner’s (1920) ‘Little Albert” study
Selected Publications / Presentations / Conference Papers
- Digdon, N., Powell, R. A., Harris, B. (2014). Little Albert’s alleged neurological impairment: Watson, Rayner and historical revision. History of Psychology, 17, 313-324.
- Powell, R. A., Digdon, N., Harris, B., & Smithson, C. (2014). Correcting the record on Watson and Rayner’s Little Albert: Albert Barger as ‘Psychology’s lost boy’. American Psychologist, 69, 600-611.
- Digdon, N. & Landry, K. (2012). University students’ motives for drinking alcohol are related to evening preference, poor sleep and ways of coping with stress. Biological Rhythm Research. DOI: 10.1080/09291016.2011.632235
- Digdon, N. & Koble, A. (2011). Effects of constructive worry, imagery distraction, and gratitude interventions on sleep. Applied Psychology: Health and Well-Being, 3, 193-206.
- Digdon, NL. (2010). College students’ beliefs about sleep. Chronobiology International, 27, 1-22.
Awards / Grants / Fellowships
MacEwan University Distinguished Teaching Award, 2014
Professional Associations / Memberships
- Member, CHEIRON
- Registered Psychologist (Alberta)
Boards / Committees
- Chair, Alberta Council on Admissions and Transfer: Psychology Committee (Vice Chair)