Aug 26 2019
A special orientation for parents, partners and student supporters with information about services, programs and resources for first-year success.
Sep 2 2019
University closed. MacEwan University Sport and Wellness open for holiday hours.
Sep 3 2019
Learn the ins and outs of being a MacEwan University student—from getting around campus to finding out about student clubs and activities.
Sep 4 2019
Regular session classes begin. Welcome to the 2019/20 academic year.
Sep 11 2019
All new MacEwan students are welcome to attend New Student Orientation, a day of events where students can learn about campus services and programs, meet fellow students, and win prizes!
Sep 13 2019
No refunds after this date.

Current Students

Getting Started will help you prepare for your first term at MacEwan University and beyond. If you have any questions along the way, this guide will direct you to people throughout the university who have the answers. It includes information general to all MacEwan University students including details about using the student portal, accessing email, planning your finances or paying your fees. You will want to refer to it once you have been accepted into the program and throughout your studies.

Program Planning

Advisors in the Faculty of Arts and Science Program Services have prepared the information in this section to help you plan your studies in the Bachelor of Science in Engineering transfer program. If you have any questions you can always contact us at Program Services.

I applied to the program, now what?

Once you have applied to the program you will need to monitor the status of your application and make sure you have met all the requirements of admission. Information you need to know about the admission process can be found at

Transcripts/Documents »

Track your Application »

Admission Decisions »

Confirmation of Admission »

Contact the Office of the University Registrar with questions related to application procedures, admission criteria, admission decisions, financial aid and transfer credit.

How does the competitive admission process work?

Applications for the following Fall open on October 1 of the previous year. However, there will be no offers of admission made until December 1. The current competitive admission average is 80%. We encourage students who fall in or near this range to apply. The average will be periodically revised throughout the intake period.

An applicant's admission average is calculated using the final mark in the required Grade 12 (30 level) courses. Grade 11 prerequisite courses will be used only when the final Grade 12 marks are not available (i.e., you are currently enrolled in the classes or will take them in the Winter term). Grade 12 admission courses must be completed by June 30 of the year in which admission is sought. Courses completed or upgraded in summer school will not be considered except for students taking upgrading courses April - July in MacEwan's University Preparation program

Applicants whose average is below the competitive average but above 75% will be placed on the waitlist which will be ranked according to their admission average. Applicants with lower averages may have their application denied, as the program has a quota of 216 students. Applicants will be pulled off the waitlist as spaces become available in the program. Admission offers may be made up to the first week of classes.

Applicants who gained conditional acceptance but who do not maintain the final competitive admission average with their final grades will have their offer of admission withdrawn.

What if I applied for two programs?

Applicants can indicate a second choice of program. If you are declined from Engineering or placed on the Engineering waitlist, you will then be assessed to see if you are eligible for your second choice of program.

If you are eligible for the second program and are on the Engineering waitlist, you must make a decision. If you accept an offer of admission for the second choice program, you will be removed from the Engineering waitlist.

If you choose to remain on the Engineering waitlist, you will stay there until the decision is made on your file, when you may once again be considered for your second choice program. Be aware that some programs, like Science, might run their own waitlists, so admission cannot be guaranteed.

What is a Registration Hold? How do I get into my classes?

Academic planning sessions

After you have confirmed admission and paid your deposit, the program will invite you to an Academic Planning Session where you will receive your class schedule for the year and important information related to your program. Watch your myMacEwan e-mail account for your invitation, or sign up for a sessionNote: You must log in with your MacEwan University account to access this form. Logging into the MacEwan portal does not mean you are logged out of your personal account. For more information visit

The following topics are covered:

  • An overview of first-year courses and their prerequisites

  • Transfer process to uAlberta (Grade Point Average, course load, program admission factor)

  • Calculating Grade Point Average (GPA) and understanding Academic Standing

  • Understanding university vocabulary: junior vs. senior level courses, prerequisites, labs, etc.

After the Academic Planning Session, Program Service office will manually enroll you into the classes indicated on the class schedule you received at the session. If you want to have the same schedule as your friends, we recommend you attend the same Academic Planning Session.

Once you've been to an Academic Planning Session and we’ve registered you in the classes on the schedule you took home, please check your schedule to make sure you’re registered in all classes. (Give us a couple of business days to manually enroll you all!)


Where can I check my class schedule?

Go to and choose myStudentSystem from the Quicklinks menu on the left. You will use the Student Centre in myStudentSystem to check your enrolment, pay your tuition and fees, view your course history, and make changes to your winter term schedule.

Using myStudentSystem


What is the Registration Hold?

All new students have a registration hold on their account. Because Engineering transfer program students are manually enrolled in their classes, the registration hold is left on their accounts during the intake period. This is because we have 216 schedules for the 216 students we will admit into the program. To make sure that all students can be enrolled in all components of each required class, we have set schedules. For this reason, we do not allow students to make changes to the Fall term schedule they are assigned.


What if I’m accepted late or can’t attend a session?

The upside of this is that even if you are accepted very late in the intake period, you know there will still be class spaces for you. So if you live out of town or won’t arrive in Edmonton until Boot Camp, don’t worry—you will still be registered in all the classes you require.

How do I apply for scholarships?


You can search our scholarships, awards and bursaries to see what you may be eligible for. For most scholarships, awards and bursaries, you will need to be enrolled in your classes before you can apply.


Information on how to apply will be on the details page of each award and on the How to Apply page. You will also be notified within myStudentSystem when awards you may be eligible for are open for application.

Feel free to stop by Program Services or email us if you have questions.

What is the Engineering Boot Camp?

In addition to the courses outlined in Year I, the Bachelor of Science in Engineering transfer program holds an Engineering Boot Camp. This is a week long session designed to get all new students back into study mode and up to speed with what will be in store for them academically in the upcoming year. This event is mandatory for all admitted students and generally runs during the week before classes begin in full day sessions.

More information on Boot Camp will be sent to you after you have been accepted into the program. Again, it is mandatory and is a condition of acceptance into the program. You must be available to attend all the sessions during Boot Camp week.

What do I need to know about my program of study?

It is your responsibility to ensure the accuracy and completeness of your program.

All students in the Bachelor of Science in Engineering transfer program are registered in their courses by the Faculty of Arts and Science Program Services Office after attending an Academic Planning Session. Please let us know if you have previous post secondary or university course work so that we can check for first year equivalent course work. The order in which you take courses is important. First term courses are often prerequisites for second term courses. If you do not successfully complete courses scheduled for the Fall term, it will negatively impact your ability to enrol in Winter term courses.



Prerequisites and Co-requisites

A prerequisite is a course that must be successfully completed with a grade of C- or better prior to attempting a subsequent course. The course description may also list co-requisites which are courses that must be taken along with another in the same term.

The Faculty of Arts and Science has the right to withdraw students from a course at any time if it is begun without the prerequisite or co-requisite, or to withhold credit for that course.

You may enrol in a course in the Winter term and complete the prerequisite course in the Fall term. However, if you withdraw or fail to achieve a grade of C- in the prerequisite course, you must remove yourself from the Winter term course immediately.


Minimum Grade Restrictions

The minimum passing grade at MacEwan University is D. However, to transfer a course to the University of Alberta you must achieve a minimum grade of C-. Students transferring to uAlberta may not repeat a course in which they have previously received a grade of C- or higher to increase their GPA as only the first passing grade will be considered.


GPA & Academic Standing

The academic standing of all students is evaluated at the end of each term. You must maintain a grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 to be considered in Good Academic Standing. Students whose GPA falls below 2.0 may either be placed on Academic Probation or be Required to Withdraw. For more information, refer to the Academic Standing policy or talk to an advisor in the Faculty of Arts and Science Program Services Office.


Course Load

The normal full course load is five courses per semester, unless otherwise stated. In the Engineering transfer program, there is a sixth mandatory course each term (ENGG 100 and ENGG 160, Orientation to the Engineering Profession). Engineering students must attend full-time. It is extremely challenging to maintain the required Engineering course load and meet extensive outside commitments, like work or volunteer or sporting activities, at the same time.

There are also course load requirements for student loans and scholarships, awards and bursaries. Please go to for more information.

How do I get ready for classes, assignments and exams?

For information on lockers, U-PASS stickers, and other practical items, please refer to the Getting Started webpage.


What about textbooks?

You can search for your textbooks online through MacEwan’s bookstore website: enter your student ID and get a list of required books. 

You can purchase your books online or buy them at the bookstore on campus. You can also check the . for used books.


What about laptops?

Here are things to think about if you are buying a laptop.

  1. Battery Life (you'll want it to last the full day)

  2. Weight (your books will be heavy enough to carry)

  3. Note taking (some students like taking notes with a stylus pen instead of the keyboard)

  4. 500GB storage with 4GB RAM on 2 Cores is enough power for first year.

Operating System choices:

  • Windows: Most popular with people in industry and is most compatible with software packages

  • Mac: Typically included only on machines with good hardware and pre-installed software

Software will be discussed in class further but you will be using:

  • MATLAB (free alternative: OCTAVE) - will be used throughout your Engineering degree

  • Microsoft OFFICE (free alternative: OpenOFFICE)

  • MAPLE (Mathematics Software)

You won't need CAD software in first year.


Your syllabus (course outline)

A syllabus will be made available online for each course. It is an official outline of what you can expect to learn in the course and what is expected of you. It will outline deadlines for assignments and required readings. It will indicate what percentage is required to earn specific letter grades for the course. Read your syllabus carefully and refer to it throughout the term.


Academic integrity is vital!

Academic integrity means honesty and responsibility in scholarship (as defined here). It is essential to the mission and vision of MacEwan University and as a student, you will be expected to comply with all Academic Integrity regulations. You can find out more at


What is the Academic Calendar?

The authoritative source for official course descriptions and the rules and regulations that apply to MacEwan University students is the Academic Calendar.

You should also familiarize yourself with information for uAlberta: > prospective students > applying to engineering. There is a lot of information here for transfer students.


What is the Academic Schedule and where do I find it?

The Academic Schedule for the current year will always be available as a link in the right hand column of myStudentCenter. It applies to the entire University and is the backbone of your life as a student. These are deadlines regarding adding and dropping courses, fee payments and exams that are non-negotiable. Therefore you always want to be aware of the deadlines in the Academic Schedule.


Get set up for success!

MacEwan has many resources to help you succeed in your academic career. Don't wait until you are having problems to take advantage of these resources.


Talk to your instructor

Talking to your instructors often about assignments or course content is a smart way to success in your courses. They are the experts on the content and will be marking your assignments. Don’t be shy! Your instructors’ office hours are listed on your course syllabus.


Final exams

The final exam schedule is available on myStudentSystem. Students are expected to be available during the entire exam period, for any term in which they are enrolled in course work. The exam schedule can change during the term. You should consult your instructors as well as the posted exam schedule prior to the exam period for any changes. It is your responsibility to know when and where your final examinations are scheduled and to arrive on time. Instructions on how to access your exam schedule on myStudentSystem, is available at

If you need to request a deferral for a midterm exam or assignment, talk to your instructor.

To request a deferred final exam, follow the process as outlined in the Exam Services Centre.

Exam Services Centre: Deferred Exams

How can I get involved with my program?

Student Program Advisory Committee (SPAC)

This committee meets with the program co-ordinator and advisors to discuss student suggestions and concerns. If you would like to be on this committee or would like to provide your input please contact the program.


Students' Association of MacEwan University (SAMU)

SAMU has on information club, activities, events and other ways to get involved on campus.

What if I need to revise my Winter schedule?

Students will have access to myStudentSystem to make changes to their winter term schedule or withdraw from courses. To learn how to make changes to your winter schedule or drop a course through myStudentSystem, check out the Using myStudentSystem step-by-step guide. For the fall term, the hold will be lifted shortly after add/drop deadline.

Remember: Any changes you make to your program may impact your ability to transfer to Year Two in the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Alberta. Things to consider include:

  • pre- and co-requisites

  • course load and Program Admission Factor adjustments (see below)

  • appropriate selection of Complementary Studies Electives

  • application deadlines

We encourage you to meet with an academic advisor to discuss your options before you make changes to your schedule or withdraw from a course.


What if I want to withdraw from a course?

During the add/drop period

At the beginning of each term, there is a limited time period when you can make changes to your course schedule (adding, dropping, and swapping courses). These changes will not appear on your academic transcript. After this deadline, you cannot add or swap courses or sections (like labs) in the current term. You can only withdraw from courses. However, in Fall term (September to December), you are only able to drop classes even before this deadline. You cannot swap sections or change your course selection. This is so all students in the Engineering cohort can access every course component they require.

What if I want to withdraw from a course later on?

In Fall or Winter, the last day to withdraw from courses is the last day of classes. As of Fall 2015, students will be able to withdraw themselves from classes online. Here are some things to consider, apart from the considerations required to transfer to uAlberta Engineering:

  1. To be considered a full time student for the purposes of loans, playing on varsity teams, and income tax, you must be registered in 9 credits per term. There may be further restrictions.

  2. A grade of W will appear on your transcript. This does not impact your GPA (but may affect your PAF).

  3. If you are registered in a course in a future term for which you withdraw from the prerequisite, you must withdraw yourself from the subsequent course as well.

  4. Non-attendance in a course does not constitute a withdrawal from the course. You must formally withdraw via myStudentSystem by the last day of classes.


What if I need to retake a course in Winter?

If you do not successfully complete a Fall term course (final grade of C- or better), you will not be able to take the subsequent Winter term course which requires it as a prerequisite.

Of the five core Fall term courses, only ENGL 199 and PHYS 130 are not prerequisites for Winter term courses.

To retake CHME 103, ENGG 130 or MATH 100, you will likely* need to take a first year equivalent course as per the chart posted on the uAlberta Engineering website. (The site is > Prospective students > Applying to Engineering > Admission requirements > Other faculties on campus.) Be aware that the equivalent course list and the required grades may change without notice.

*There will be limited spaces in a Winter term section of CHME 103 but once those spots are full, students will have to enroll in a CHEM 101 class.

You will need to choose an open AS (Arts and Science) or OP (Open Studies) section of the appropriate course and contact Program Services to be enrolled into the course.

If you decide to take a Complementary Studies Elective to replace a course in Winter, you will again need to contact Program Services to be enrolled in the course.

You will also need to contact us to enroll in overlapping labs (e.g., those for CHME 105 and ENPH 131).

It is your responsibility to re-arrange your schedule so all the courses you require will fit, even if you will require our assistance to enroll in them.


How do I choose my Complementary studies elective?

If you click on each course listed in the Complementary studies elective chart on this website (Academics > Complementary studies), a course description will appear. These provide you with a brief overview of what you will study in a course, the course name and number, the credit value, and the prerequisites.


What is a section number?

A section number corresponds to the specific time and days a course is being offered. For example, MATH 100 is a course. There are many different classes of this course running during each term. The section number tells you which class you are enrolling in on specific days and at a specific time. Engineering students can enroll themselves into BE (Engineering) and OP (Open Studies) sections only. For AS sections, you must enroll via the Program Services Office. Remember:

  • you will only be able to change your Winter term registration

  • check with an advisor to assess the impact of your course withdrawal or change

  • if a course has multiple components (e.g., lecture, lab, seminar) you must enroll in all components of a course

Course Section Days and Times
MATH 100 BE02 MWF 1 - 2
MATH 100 BE01 TR 12:30 - 2

How do I apply to transfer to uAlberta's Faculty of Engineering after Year One?

You should apply online to the U of A's Faculty of Engineering before the application deadline. Typically, students apply in January for September admission.

Once you have applied to uAlberta, you must contact the Office of the Registrar at uAlberta for information regarding your application and registration. MacEwan University is not involved in their admission process.

Application to Engineering is a two step process.

1. You apply to uAlberta, Faculty of Engineering. You will receive a response confirming your application, and telling you your uAlberta ID number, your uAlberta email address and your campus computing login.
2. You then use this information to complete your Program Selection Form which allows you to rank your choices for second year Engineering programs.

Note: If you were required to demonstrate English Language Proficiency as part of your admission requirements to MacEwan University, be aware that uAlberta has different English Language Proficiency requirements. You must meet uAlberta’s requirements to be admissible there.

Admission to Year Two is a two step process.

1. The first step is to be admitted to the Faculty of Engineering.
2. The second step is admission to the specific discipline sought.

Admission to the Faculty of Engineering

Students who complete their first year at MacEwan University in the Engineering transfer program and who meet the following conditions are guaranteed admission to second year at the University of Alberta, Faculty of Engineering:

1. Session GPA
• Combined average of the Fall and Winter terms: a minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale will be required for admission.
2. Required Course Load
• Minimum required = 30.0 credits as defined below.
• Minimum grade of C- must be obtained in each course for it to count towards the Required Course Load.

Both of the above criteria must be met for a student to be admissible to the Faculty of Engineering.
Note regarding required course load: The total first year course load = 39.5 credits. However, 2 credits students are required to take (ENGG 100 and ENGG 160) do not count towards the required course load. Further, MATH 100 at MacEwan University is weighted at 4.0 credits while uAlberta only recognizes it at 3.5 credits for the purposes of calculating a Required Course Load. Therefore, for the purposes of this calculation, the maximum number of credits students begin with is 37.5.

Admission to specific discipline and program sought

Admission to the second year programs within each Engineering discipline (e.g. Civil, Mechanical Engineering) and degree route (traditional or co-op) is a competitive process driven by overall student preference and individual students’ grades and course load.

At this stage in the process, and only at this stage, a program admission factor (PAF) will be assessed (if required). Note that the PAF will not stop students from being admissible to the Faculty of Engineering; it will only be assessed after they have been admitted to the Faculty.

Program Admission Factor (PAF)

Students will be admitted to their highest program of choice consistent with their PAF. An adjustment to the session GPA will be applied if the total number of units attempted falls below 37 units for the session, as explained above.

The formula for the PAF is below:
PAF = Fall/Winter GPA (calculated to 2 decimal places) – Adjustments of 0.05 per credit below 37 credits


• Full course load = 37.5 credits
• Session GPA = 2.7 (so we know the student is admissible to the Faculty, assuming s/he completed the Required Course Load)
• Student drops Math 101 = 3.5 credits
• Course load carried by student = 37.5 - 3.5 = 34 credits
• Light load adjustment = (37 - 34) x 0.05 = 0.15
• Program Admission Factor (PAF) = 2.70 - 0.15 = 2.55
• The student will be admitted to the highest choice of discipline s/he indicated on her Program Selection Form whose admission PAF s/he meets and in which there are seats available.

There are three things to remember:

  1. The full course load is 37.5 credits, but the PAF is applied at 37 credits. There is a discrepancy of 0.5 credits between the two benchmarks.
  2. The session GPA is a hard stop: if you don’t have the required GPA, you are not admissible to the Faculty. The PAF only impacts admission to the discipline of choice.
  3. The PAF looks at all graded credits completed, not credits successfully completed (C- or better). If you get a grade lower than C- in a course, the impact will be on your GPA, not on your PAF.

ENGG 160 Sessions

A representative from the University of Alberta's Faculty of Engineering will visit your ENGG 160 class to present information on transferring, usually in March.


What if my plans change?

The Bachelor of Science in Engineering transfer program is limited to one year of study. If you wish to continue your studies after Year 1, you must apply to another program.

Apply to Another MacEwan University Program

View a complete listing of all MacEwan University programs that lead to a ministry-approved credential.

If you decide to pursue the Bachelor of Science degree with us, please see the planner on how your Engineering courses will be applicable towards the BSc degree. We encourage you to speak to an advisor in Program Services about your options at the Faculty of Arts and Science. Your username and ID number will remain the same.

For programs in other faculties, please contact the advisors in that faculty.

Apply to Another Institution

If you decide to apply to an Engineering faculty at an institution other than uAlberta, then you must contact that institution yourself to determine application eligibility and procedures. To find a complete list of accredited Engineering degree-granting institutions in Canada, go to > Resources > Accreditation and download the Accreditation Criteria and Procedures Report 2014. It is your responsibility to re-arrange your schedule so all the courses you require will fit.

University of British Columbia
– Okanagan campus (UBC-O) has indicated that up to eight MacEwan Engineering courses will transfer to UBC-O. Note that students must apply and be assessed for admission individually, and that admission is competitive.

This information is provided as an aid to enrollment and is not an official publication. The authoritative source for official course descriptions and the rules and regulations that apply to students is the Academic Calendar.