Nov 11 2020
University closed. MacEwan University Sport and Wellness open for holiday hours.

Current Students

Getting Started will help you prepare for your first term at MacEwan University and beyond. If you have any questions along the way, this guide will direct you to people throughout the university who have the answers. It includes information general to all MacEwan University students including details about using the student portal, accessing email, planning your finances or paying your fees. You will want to refer to it once you have been accepted into the program and throughout your studies.

Program Planning

Advisors in Program Services have prepared the information in this section to help you plan your studies in the Bachelor of Arts from start to finish. If you have any questions you can always contact us at Program Services.

How do I plan out my program?

Planning your program is the first step in choosing courses. It is also something that you will do throughout your time as a student to make sure you take the right courses towards your program of study. Here is the planner for the General Studies diploma.

Good planning will also help you transition to another program at the right time. Not all courses required for other programs are offered through General Studies. Refer to the Course List section of this site to see which courses are available through General Studies.

Bachelor of Arts 

The planning sheets and more information about  the Bachelor of Arts program can be found under Current Students.

Other Programs 

Please contact the program you would like to apply to for information on courses you can take.

What do I need to know before enrolling myself in courses?

To choose your courses you should first get your planning sheets and plan your program so you are sure that you are picking courses that will work towards the program you plan to complete.

Courses Available to General Studies Students

Courses available to students in General Studies are listed under the Course List section of this site. Not all courses will be offered every year. Login to myStudentSystem for information on course availability in a particular term.

Course Descriptions

Course descriptions provide you with a brief overview of what you will study in a course, the course name and number, the credit value, and the prerequisites. The course description legend breaks down the structure of a course description. Course descriptions are available in myStudentSystem, on the Course List page or at the back of the Academic Calendar.


A prerequisite is a course that must be successfully completed with a grade of C- or better prior to attempting a subsequent course.

The Faculty of Arts and Science has the right to withdraw students from a course at any time if it is begun without the prerequisite or to withhold credit for that course, even when all other graduation requirements have been met.

You may enrol in a course in the winter term and complete the prerequisite course in the fall term. However, if you withdraw or fail to achieve a grade of C- in the prerequisite course, you must remove yourself from the winter term course immediately.

Course Load 

Course Load refers to the number of credits taken in a term. When choosing how many courses you should take in a term, consider the following.

  • Each course in the General Studies program is 3 credits
  • To be a full-time student, you must enrol in 9 credits per term
  • The maximum course load allowed in the General Studies program is 15 credits per term
  • If you are on a student loan, you must maintain enrolment in a minimum of 9 credits per term
  • You must enrol in a minimum of 3 credits in an academic year to remain in the General Studies program
  • You must enrol in a minimum of 3 credits in the first term you are accepted to the program  

Junior and Senior Courses   

Courses numbered 100-199 are considered junior-level
Courses numbered 200 and higher are considered senior-level

Minimum Grade Restrictions   

The minimum passing grade at MacEwan University is D. However, to be in good academic standing, you must maintain a 2.0 Grade Point Average (GPA) each term. Please refer to the Academic Standing policy (C2070) for details or speak with an advisor for help understanding the policy.

How do I enrol myself in classes online?

You enrol in courses using myStudentSystem. To navigate there, go to the portal (, log in, and select myStudentSystem from the launchpad menu. To learn how to enrol in courses, check out the myStudentSystem step by step instructions. Additional information on enrolment can be found at

Watch the video: How to Enrol in Classes


You can add and drop classes online until the add/drop deadline each term. Deadlines can be found in the Academic Schedule.

Watch the video: How to Drop and Swap Classes


Reserved versus Closed Sections

If a section says reserved, check the "Seats Available" note to see which programs are listed. If GS is listed, you can go ahead and enrol. If a section says closed, it is full. You may want to check back to see if spots open up prior to the add/drop deadline.

No waitlist function

Although this may show up as an option, it has not been activated at MacEwan University. If you can’t get into a course you want, you have the prerequisites, and it is available to General Studies students, please keep checking back. There are lots of changes in class enrolments, especially during the add/drop period. We can’t put you into a class that is full, so please don’t ask!

Section Numbers

A section number corresponds to the specific time and days a course is being offered. For example, ECON 101 is a course. There are many different classes of this course running during each term. The section number tells you which class you are enrolling in on specific days and at a specific time.
You can enrol yourself in GS or OP sections.
If you have any questions about taking courses that are not listed in the General Studies Course List posted on this website, please contact Program Services in the week before classes start as there may be opportunities to take some additional courses.

Course Section Days and Times
ECON 101 GS01 MWF 1 - 2
ECON 101 OP01 TR 12:30 - 2


Labs and Seminars

Certain courses have a lecture and a lab component or a separate seminar component. You must enrol in all components of a course.
The online registration system will prompt you to choose a lab or seminar if that is required for the course.

Online Courses

To find out which courses are available online, search online using Additional Search Criteria > Mode of Instruction > Online. If you are searching for a course and the section numbers show as OP95 or OP96 then they are online. You can enroll yourself in these courses.

Here are some Arts and Science courses that are frequently available online, although offerings vary by term, and additional courses may sometimes be offered. Note that not all these courses are found in the General Studies Course List but they can be used to complete elective requirements:

• ANTH 101: Introduction to Anthropology
• ANTH 110: Gender, Age and Culture
• ANTH 219: World Prehistory
• ECON 101: Introduction to Microeconomics
• ECON 102: Introduction to Macroeconomics
• ENGL 102: Analysis and Argument
• ENGL 103: Introduction to Literature
• ENGL 206: The Short Story
• POLS 101: Introduction to Politics and Government
• PSYC 104: Introductory Psychology I
• PSYC 105: Introductory Psychology II
• PSYC 223: Developmental Psychology
• PSYC 233: Personality
• PSYC 241: Social Psychology
• SOCI 100: Introductory Sociology
• SOCI 225: Criminology
• SOCI 241: Social Psychology

Prerequisite Checking in myStudentSystem

When you enrol, myStudentSystem will check for post-secondary prerequisites. If you have the prerequisite but myStudentSystem is preventing you from enrolling, contact Program Services immediately.
High school prerequsites will be checked by the Faculty of Arts and Science during the first month of the term. The Faculty of Arts and Science has the right to withdraw students from a course at any time if it is begun without the prerequisite or co-requisite or to withhold credit for that course.
You may enrol in a course in the winter term and complete the prerequisite course in the fall term. However, if you withdraw or fail to achieve a grade of C- in the prerequisite course, you must remove yourself from the winter term course immediately.

Prerequisites from another post-secondary institution

If you met a prerequisite by completing a course at another post-secondary institution, please be aware that:

• Indirect course equivalents (e.g. PSYC 1XX) may have an NTD (not to do) notation (e.g., PSYC 1XX NTD PSYC 104) that will not be recognized by myStudentSystem. You may need a Permission Number to enrol. Contact Program Services if you are in this situation.
• Direct course equivalents (e.g. PSYC 104) should not prevent you from enrolling. If you encounter problems, contact Program Services.

Apply to Audit a Course

You do not receive credit in courses you audit. Students sometimes audit courses if they feel they need to refresh their skills before attempting the course they are required to take. You will need to apply to audit a course before you can enrol.

Need Last Minute Enrolment Assistance?

At the beginning of each Fall and Winter semester the Program Services Office offers hands on enrolment assistance for students. We will post dates once they are established.


How do I get ready for classes, assignments & exams?


You can search for your textbooks online through MacEwan’s bookstore website: enter your student ID and get a list of required books.

You can purchase your books online or buy them at the bookstore on campus. You can also check the SAMU Marketplace for used books.

Your Syllabus

A syllabus is distributed in the first class of each course. It is an official outline of what you can expect to learn in the course and what is expected of you. It will outline deadlines for assignments and required readings. Refer to your syllabus throughout the term.

Academic Integrity is Vital!

Academic integrity means honesty and responsibility in scholarship (as defined here). It is essential to the mission and vision of MacEwan University and as a student, you will be expected to comply with all Academic Integrity regulations. You can find out more here.

What is the Academic Calendar?

The authoritative source for official course descriptions and the rules and regulations that apply to MacEwan University students is the Academic Calendar.

What is the Academic Schedule and where do I find it?

The Academic Schedule for the current year will always be available as a link in the right hand column of myStudentCenter. It applies to the entire University and is the backbone of your life as a student. These are deadlines regarding adding and dropping courses, fee payments and exams that are non-negotiable. Therefore you always want to be aware of the deadlines in the Academic Schedule.


Get Set Up for Success!

MacEwan has many resources to help you succeed in your academic career. Don't wait until you are having problems to take advantage of these resources.


Talk to Your Instructor

Talking to your instructors often about assignments or course content is a smart way to success in your courses. They are the experts on the content and will be marking your assignments. Don’t be shy! Your instructors’ office hours are listed on your course syllabus.

Final Exams

The final exam schedule is available on myStudentSystem. Students are expected to be available during the entire exam period, for any term in which they are enrolled in course work. The exam schedule can change during the term. You should consult your instructors as well as the posted exam schedule prior to the exam period for any changes. It is your responsibility to know when and where your final examinations are scheduled and to arrive on time. Instructions on how to access your exam schedule on myStudentSystem, are available here.

Final Exam Deferrals

Requests for deferred final exams are considered only when you miss final examinations due to acceptable extenuating circumstances such as illness accompanied by a signed note from a doctor, death in the family, serious family crisis, accident, etc. You must request a deferred exam no later than 2 business days after the missed examination. Permission to defer a final exam is not automatically granted by submitting a request.

  • If you are requesting a deferred exam for an either an arts or science course you must fill out and submit the appropriate forms, and any supporting documentation to the Program Services Office or email, within the aforementioned timeline.

  •  If approved,  a fee charged to the student's account of $50 per exam to a maximum of $100 per scheduled exam period.

If you need to request a deferral for a midterm exam or assignment, talk to your instructor.

What if I want to withdraw from a course?

What is the Add/Drop Deadline?

At the beginning of each term, there is a limited time period when you can make changes to your course schedule (adding, dropping, and swapping courses). These changes will not appear on your academic transcript. After this deadline, you cannot add or swap courses or sections (like labs) in the current term. You can only withdraw from courses.

What if I want to withdraw from a course later on?

If you are registered in a 13 week regular session course in Fall or Winter, then the last day to withdraw from courses is the last day of classes. As of Fall 2015, students will be able to withdraw themselves from classes online. Here are some things to consider:

1. To be considered a full time student for the purposes of loans, playing on varsity teams, and income tax, you must be registered in 9 credits per term. There may be further restrictions.
2. A grade of W will appear on your transcript. This does not impact your GPA.
3. If you are registered in a course in a future term for which you withdraw from the prerequisite, you must withdraw yourself from the subsequent course as well.
4. Non-attendance in a course does not constitute a withdrawal from the course. You must formally withdraw by the last day of classes.

(Please note that Spring/Summer 2015 courses are subject to withdrawal dates as posted.)

Watch the video: How to Drop and Swap Classes

After the Withdrawal deadline

No changes can be made to your academic schedule. You will receive a final grade in your courses based on work completed, and this final grade will be included in your GPA.

How do I know that I am on the right track to graduate?

GPA & Academic Standing

The academic standing of all students is evaluated at the end of each term. You must maintain a grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 to be considered in Good Academic Standing. Students whose GPA falls below 2.0 may either be placed on Academic Probation or be Required to Withdraw. For more information, refer to the Academic Standing policy (C2070) or talk to an advisor in Program Services.

Watch the video: Unofficial Transcript on myStudentSystem

Review Your Program Planning

To get help with your program planning, complete your planning sheets and book an appointment with an advisor to review them. Please contact Program Services to book an appointment.

How do I apply to another program?

You must apply to the program you want to eventually graduate from.

We recommend that you speak with an advisor regarding admission to other programs at MacEwan University. View a complete listing of all programs that lead to a ministry-approved credential: baccalaureate degrees, university transfer programs, applied degrees, certificates and diplomas.

If you decide to apply to another program in the Faculty of Arts and Science, we encourage you to speak to an advisor in Program Services. Programs in the Faculty of Arts and Science include:

Track Your Application

Once you apply to another program at MacEwan, you will need to login to myStudentSystem to check the status of your application. Your username and password will remain the same.

How do I graduate?

Graduation Requirements

To graduate with a General Studies diploma you must complete all the Program of Study requirements and adhere to the Institutional Graduation Regulations.

Apply to Graduate 

You must apply to graduate through myStudentSystem by the deadline. You can find the graduation application link on the Academics tab in your Student Centre.

Convocation Ceremony

MacEwan University holds two convocation ceremonies per year. If you complete your program in December or April, you can convocate in June. If you complete your program between May and August, you can convocate in November.

Check the convocation website for details on the ceremony, confirming your attendance, and ordering your gown.

This information is provided as an aid to enrollment and is not an official publication. The authoritative source for official course descriptions and the rules and regulations that apply to students is the Academic Calendar.