Aug 3 2020
University closed. MacEwan University Sport and Wellness open for holiday hours.

Program Planning

Getting Started will help you prepare for your first term at MacEwan University and beyond. If you have any questions along the way, this guide will direct you to people throughout the university who have the answers. It includes information general to all MacEwan University students including details about using the student portal, accessing email, planning your finances or paying your fees. You will want to refer to it once you have been accepted into the program and throughout your studies.

Program Planning

There is a lot to know as a Bachelor of Commerce student. Whether you have just applied or are in your last year, the information below will help you successfully navigate through your degree.

Log in

Username and Password

After you apply, the Office of the University Registrar will send your Network ID to the email account listed on your application. This will be the username and password you use to login to, your university student portal.

If you have not received your Network ID within two weeks of your application, email to request a new letter.

The university's student portal is where you can find links to several online applications and tools for students, such as:

  • eMail: to access your student email account
  • myStudentSystem: to search for and enrol in classes
  • Blackboard: to access electronic materials for your classes
  • Library access: to search for books, articles and more
  • TechSupport: troubleshooting help

Student email

MacEwan University communicates with students through their university assigned Gmail account. According to the Student Rights and Responsibilities Policy, you must check your university email regularly and send all emails to MacEwan University faculty and staff from this MacEwan University student email account. Access your email through

E-newsletters are sent to your MacEwan mail account on a weekly basis. These contain information on program updates, fun events, opportunities for BCom students, and more.


To check your admission status, enrol in courses, pay your tuition and fees, view your course history, and check the status of your transfer credit, you will use myStudentSystem. Access myStudentSystem through

Track your application

Once you've applied to the program you will need to monitor the status of your application and make sure you have met all the requirements of admission. Information you need to know about the admission process can be found at

Submit Transcripts/Documents »
Track your Application »
Admission Decisions »
Confirmation of Admission »

Contact us if you have questions

Contact the Office of the University Registrar with questions related to application procedures, admission criteria, admission decisions, financial aid and transfer credit.

Book an appointment with an academic advisor or drop by the office with questions related to:

  • degree planning
  • declaring your major and/or minor
  • course selection
  • enrolment
  • university materials, services, and other help on campus

Plan your degree

The Bachelor of Commerce degree has seven majors. If you have not yet decided your major, don’t worry: the first two years of every major are very similar.

Required Components of BCom Program

All Bachelor of Commerce students, regardless of which major and/or minor they choose, must complete some core requirements and electives. Use this planning sheet to ensure you choose courses that meet these requirements.

Plan your Degree

Bachelor of Commerce students have the option of completing a second major from existing majors in Commerce, or one or two minors, provided they can satisfy their requirements for Business, Non-Business, and Open electives with that same coursework. 

Find details on the Majors & Minors page

Declare your major(s)/minor(s)

You must officially declare your major(s) after you are admitted to the program and prior to completing 60 credits towards your degree. You have the option of completing a second major, or one or two minors, provided you can satisfy elective requirements with that same coursework.

Procedure for Official Declaration

General Declarations

Declarations are open from September 1 to February 15, except for competitive minors which close January 15.

Competitive declarations

Declarations for competitive minors are open from September 1 to January 15. As there is a maximum number of students admitted in these disciplines we recommend that students who apply for a competitive minor also prepare an alternate plan.
You will be told whether or not your application was successful by February 1. If you are not admitted into the competitive minor of your choice, use the general declaration process to choose an alternative.

Steps to Declare

Log in to

Launch myStudentSystem

  1. Go to Academic Records
  2. Select Major/Minor Declaration
  3. Click on Submit New Request
  4. Select your chosen major(s) and minor(s) as applicable
  5. Read the acknowledgement statement and check off the I Agree box if you are in agreement
  6. Click Submit

You will receive notification of any declaration status changes via your MacEwan email and in the myStudentSystem Academic Records tile. To confirm your declaration has been processed correctly, confirm that it appears in the Major/Minor Declaration menu item.

Notes for all students:

  • If you decide to change your major and minor, you can re-declare by repeating the process above. You will need to follow the requirements of the year you re-declare.
  • If you have to re-apply to the program, you are considered an undeclared student when you are re-admitted. You will need to re-declare.
  • You are responsible for confirming that your declaration has been updated by checking the Academics tab in myStudentSystem.
  • Students who have been admitted under a block transfer agreement or have completed a previous degree and are now working towards a subsequent bachelor degree are unable to declare their majors online. Please contact your program advisor for assistance.

Already declared?

Please ensure you are using the major and minor planning sheets and the Academic Calendar of the year you officially declare. Refer to the table below to determine which year's degree requirements you must adhere to:

If you declared ... Degree Requirements Year Declaration Year

On or after September 1, 2019 and before or on February 15, 2020

2019/2020 2019

On or after September 1, 2018 and before or on February 15, 2019

2018/2019 2018

On or after December 1, 2017 and before or on February 15, 2018

2017/2018 2017

On or after December 1, 2016 and before or on March 1, 2017

2016/2017 2016

Choose your courses

To choose your courses you should first get your planning sheets and plan your degree.

There is a lot to know and consider when choosing your courses. The information below will help you understand the basics.

Course Descriptions

Course descriptions provide you with a brief overview of what you will study in a course, the course name and number, the credit value, and the prerequisites. The course description legend breaks down the structure of a course description. Course descriptions are found on the discipline web pages or at the back of the Academic Calendar.

Course Load

Course Load refers to the number of credits taken in a term. When choosing how many courses you should take in a term, consider the following points. You may also want to review the first-year suggested sequencing of courses.

  • Each course in the BCom program is 3 credits
  • To be a full-time student, you must enrol in 9 credits per term
  • The maximum course load allowed in the BCom program is 15 credits per term
  • You must enrol in a minimum of 3 credits in an academic year to remain in the BCom program
  • You must enrol in a minimum of 3 credits in the first term you are accepted to the program

Course Overload

Students may request permission to take more than five courses in a regular term or three courses during the Spring/Summer term if they present the following criteria:

1. Present a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the previous term.
2. Have completed a minimum of 24 university level credits;
3. Have completed a full course load in previous term(s);
4. Are in good academic standing;

To request this permission, please visit an academic advisor in room 5-238. You will need to write a letter to the Associate Dean, Bachelor of Commerce, outlining the reason you are requesting the overload and your strategy for success.


A prerequisite is a course that must be successfully completed prior to attempting a subsequent course. Prerequisites are not listed in myStudentSystem. You must check the course descriptions found in the Academic Calendar.

The School of Business has the right to withdraw students from a course at any time if it is begun without the prerequisite or to withhold credit for that course, even when all other graduation requirements have been met.

You may enrol in a course in the winter term and complete the prerequisite course in the fall term. However, if you withdraw or fail in the prerequisite course, you must remove yourself from the winter term course immediately. This is not done automatically.

Labs and Seminars

Certain courses have a lecture and a lab component or a separate seminar component. You must enrol in all components of a course.

To find out if a course has a lab or a seminar component, check the course description. The legend of a course description will show you where in the description you can find this information.

Junior and Senior Courses

Courses numbered 100-199 are considered junior-level
Courses numbered 200 and higher are considered senior-level

Minimum Grade Restrictions

The minimum passing grade at MacEwan University is D.

Even though the minimum passing grade for a course is a D, to be in good academic standing, you must maintain a 2.0 Grade Point Average (GPA) each academic standing year. Please refer to the Academic Standing policy for details or speak with an advisor for help understanding the policy. 


Your Bachelor of Commerce degree is composed of core requirements and electives. You must fulfill three types of elective requirements before you complete your degree: business, non-business and open. Find out more about the electives categories on the Program of Study page.

Enrol in courses


You will enrol yourself in courses using myStudentSystem. To learn how to enrol in courses, check out the Using myStudentSystem web page.

You can add and drop classes online until the add/drop deadline each term. You can withdraw from a course without academic penalty if you do so before the withdrawal deadline. Deadlines can be found in the Academic Schedule.


Section Numbers 

A section number corresponds to the specific time and days a course is being offered.

For example, ENGL 102 is a course. There are many different classes of this course running during each term. The section number tells you which class you are enrolling in on specific days and at a specific time.



Days and Times

ENGL 102


MWF 1 - 2

ENGL 102


TR 12:30 - 2

Request visiting student and other permissions

Permission Numbers (PN)

Permission numbers allow you to enrol in certain restricted sections through myStudentSystem. You may require a PN to enrol in a course because myStudentSystem does not recognize your transfer credit as the prerequisite or because the course belongs to another program.

Other Programs' Sections

[this will need to change; there is no more green circle.]
Bachelor of Commerce students have access to courses with section numbers CC, AS, GS, and OP. Other programs may at some point open some of their courses to all students. This means you can enrol in any section of a course that has a green circle indicating the course is open. However, permission numbers will only be issued for courses that fit into a program of study. Ask an advisor if you are uncertain about a course.

Requesting Permission Numbers

You can access this service two ways:

  1. At the School of Business Advising Services Office (room 5-238)
    If you require a permission number because your transfer credit has not been posted, please bring a copy of your previous transcript to advising services.
  2. From Your MacEwan University student email account
    Email from your MacEwan University student email account. Be sure to include the following information in the email:

a. Your full name
b. Your student ID number

c. The term you are requesting a section for (e.g., Fall 2017)
d. The course and section number you want to take (e.g,. FREN 112 AS01)

Visiting Student Permission

According to the policy on External Course Taking, you can apply to take courses towards your degree at another recognized post-secondary institution. In order to receive credit for courses taken at another institution, you must apply and be granted permission prior to starting the course.

N.B.: Students who enroll in and complete courses at another post-secondary institution without receiving prior permission will not be permitted to use these course credits for their degree or other credential at MacEwan University School of Business.

In the Bachelor of Commerce, students must:

  1. be in good academic standing (GPA of 2.0 or greater as of the previous term) at the time of application;
  2. ensure compliance with MacEwan University residency requirements;
  3. provide rationale for the request; and
  4. have successfully completed a minimum of 30 credits towards their degree.

It is critical that you speak with an advisor to find out whether the course you are requesting has already been assessed for transfer credit. If it has not been assessed, you will need to provide a course outline and request a transfer evaluation from the Transfer Unit in the Office of the University Registrar. An academic advisor will review your application and then let you know if your request has been approved or denied by emailing your myMacEwan account. If your application is approved, the Office of the University Registrar will send a Letter of Permission (LOP) to your myMacEwan email account. Please keep this document.

MacEwan University has no role in your application, admission or registration at the host institution. It is your responsibility to complete these steps on your own through the host institution.

For the credit to be transferred back to MacEwan University, you must achieve the minimum grade requirements as stipulated in the Letter of Permission and submit an official transcript from the host institution to the Office of the University Registrar. All published MacEwan deadlines for enrollment and graduation must still be met.

If you do not take a course for which Visiting Student approval was granted, you must inform your advisor in writing. If you begin but withdraw from or fail a course for which Visiting Student approval was granted, you must still submit an official transcript from the host institution to the Office of the University.

Apply for scholarships, awards and bursaries

You can search our scholarships, awards and bursaries to see what you may be eligible for. For most scholarships, awards and bursaries, you will need to be enrolled in your classes before you can apply.

Information on how to apply will be on the details page of each award and on the How to Apply page.

You will also be notified within myStudentSystem when awards you may be eligible for are open for application.

Pay your tuition and fees


You must pay your tuition and applicable fees by the deadline each term.

Find Out What You Owe

Tuition and fees are updated overnight. If you adjust your enrolment, make sure you check myStudentSystem the next day to verify the amount you owe.

Make a Payment

There are several ways to make a payment.

Help with Student Loans, Scholarships, and Other Funding

If you need help finding the funds to pay for university, contact a financial aid advisor in the Office of the University Registrar. They assist students with everything from finding funding to planning a student budget.

Get ready for classes

Get your student ID card

The MacEwan Card is the official student identification and library card. Get your card from the library before classes start.

Pick up your U-Pass sticker

The U-Pass is provided by the Students' Association of MacEwan University (SAMU). It gives you access to Edmonton, Strathcona County and St. Albert transit services for every term you are registered in classes. Contact SAMU to find out where and when U-Pass stickers are available.

Purchase your textbooks

You can search for your textbooks online. To find the correct textbooks, you must know the courses and sections you are enrolled in. You can see which sections you are enrolled in on myStudentSystem.

You can purchase your books online or buy them at the bookstore on campus. You can also check the SAMU Marketplace for used books.

Register your locker

Lockers are available to full-time students. You will need to register and pay for your locker.

Review your health and dental plan

SAMU offers a student health and dental plan. You can add a family member or opt out of the plan if you already have comparable health coverage.

Review important dates and policies

You are responsible for checking and adhering to all posted dates/deadlines and university policies.

Dates and Deadlines

The Academic Schedule lists all the important dates and deadlines for the coming academic year including when classes start, tuition deadlines, add/drop deadlines, withdrawal deadlines, and exam periods.

Exam Schedule

The exam schedule will be available in myStudentSystem shortly before exams begin. You should consult the exam schedule prior to the exam period for any changes.

University Policies

You must check the University Policies that affect your degree including the Academic Standing, Student Rights and Responsibilities, Grading, and Repeating Credit Courses policies.

Check your transfer credit

Transferring Credits to MacEwan University

If you are transferring from a post-secondary institution in Alberta, check the Alberta Transfer Guide for transfer agreements.

All transfer credit from other post-secondary institutions is assessed after admission to the program. Evaluation of transfer credit can take several weeks. Remember to check your MacEwan University student email account for requests from the Office of the University Registrar to submit outlines of the courses that are being evaluated, as these may be needed to complete an assessment.

Check Your Transfer Credit Status and Awards

You can check if you have been awarded transfer credit in MyStudentSystem. If you would like to know the status of your transfer credit process, please email from your MacEwan University student email account.

Placement of Your Transfer Credit

After your transfer credit has been evaluated and if you have questions about the assessment of the courses, book an appointment with an advisor. They can help you understand how the credits work towards your degree requirements.

Confirm your progress

It is very important to keep to keep track of your progress in the degree and to monitor your academic standing.

GPA & Academic Standing

Specific information about calculating your GPA and academic standing is available on the Grades and GPA web page. Please check with a Bachelor of Commerce Academic Advisor if you have questions regarding your GPA or Academic Standing.

Review your Program Plan

To ensure you are on track for degree completion, review the program plan for your major located under the "Plan Your Degree" section on this page. Pay particular attention to the required components of the BCOM degree document, especially when you are selecting electives. 

You may request a program check that will be completed by a Bachelor of Commerce Academic Advisor. This document will help you monitor your progress in the program and confirm that you are on track to graduate. We strongly encourage students who are approaching their final year of study to request a program check. The best time to do this is in the academic year preceding your final year, or in the summer months.

Program Check Process:

  1. Fill out the program check request form
    (You will be prompted to log in with your MacEwan credentials.)

  2. Watch your myMacEwan Gmail account for notification that your program check is complete. A BCOM Advisor will highlight any issues and attach the document for your reference.

  3. If necessary, you may book an appointment to meet with an advisor to review your program check.

Apply to graduate

Apply to graduate

You must apply to graduate through myStudentSystem by the deadline. You can find the graduation application link on the Academics tab in your Student Centre.

Graduation requirements

To graduate you must complete all the requirements and adhere to the regulations of the degree and MacEwan University.

Bachelor of Commerce

Subsequent Baccalaureate Degree - BCom

If you are planning to graduate with a subsequent BCom, you must adhere to the requirements listed above as well as those outlined in the Subsequent Baccalaureate Credential Policy

Convocation ceremony

MacEwan University holds two convocation ceremonies per year. If you complete your degree in December or April, you can convocate in June. If you complete your degree between May and August, you can convocate in November.

Check the Convocation website for details on the ceremony, confirming your attendance, and ordering your gown.