Field Placement

Supervised field placements are an important part of the curriculum and are in all four terms of the program, providing you the opportunity to integrate classroom learning with the realities of day-to-day practice. Many students develop a strong network of references through their field placement experiences and some graduates find employment directly through their practicum agencies.

Examples of field placement environments include:

  • Child and family services
  • Income support programs
  • Health and mental health services
  • Addictions agencies
  • Inner-city services
  • Family Support Services
  • Youth agencies
  • Senior’s facilities
  • Women’s shelters

International Students

International students must have a co-op work permit before starting field placement/clinical/practicum. A co-op work permit is different from your study permit; it is an additional permit that authorizes international students to participate in work that is integral to their program of study.  You will need an up-to-date medical exam by an IRCC approved panel physician before applying for a co-op work permit as you will be working with vulnerable populations in a health, community or medical field.

Ask MacEwan International about the documents you need to apply. You should apply for a co-op work permit 4-6 months before the start of your field placement/clinical/practicum as current IRCC processing times are lengthy.

contact MacEwan International