When to Intervene

Most of the time, people have the choice as to whether they will seek help. Sometimes, however, people are not capable of making the right choice for themselves.

When to step in

  • If a person is clearly suicidal
  • If a person threatens to harm others
  • If child abuse is suspected

What to do

  • Do not promise confidentiality.
  • Escort the person to Counselling Services if he or she is clearly suicidal.
  • Call campus security (780-497-5555) for those who threaten to harm others.
  • Call Child and Family Services (1-800-387-5437) to report child abuse.