In just 13 months you’ll learn the skills Canada’s travel and tourism industry demands most: communications, sales techniques, customer service and automation.

Get an in-depth look at the world's most important tourist destinations, and learn what motivates travellers to frequent them. Learn how to deal with everything from international border crossings to environmental and social concerns. Develop an understanding of the evolving travel and tourism market and the technology used to document and sell North American and international travel.

In the Travel and Tourism program, you study the ins and outs of the industry: from sales and tickets to managing suppliers and agents. You also receive hands-on experience with the actual computerized reservation systems used by the travel industry.

Courses & Requirements
Check the academic calendar to find the courses you need to take and the requirements you must fulfill to complete your program.
Academic Calendar


As part of the program, you have the opportunity to apply your new skills in a real travel job. Your practicum begins after 12 months of study—just in time for the busy fall travel season.

Program staff help you find a suitable practicum placement that is a good match between you and the employer. This opportunity helps you gain work experience and often leads right to full-time employment.

Study Tours

All students have the option of completing a study tour to better familiarize them with their careers in travel. Travel study tours have gone to such destinations as Europe, the Caribbean, Hawaii and China.

More about optional study tours

International students

International students must have a co-op work permit before starting field placement, clinical practice or practicum. A co-op work permit is different from your study permit; it is an additional permit that authorizes international students to participate in work that is integral to their program of study. If you will be working with vulnerable populations in a health, community or medical field, you will need an up-to-date medical exam by an IRCC-approved panel physician before applying for a co-op work permit.

Ask MacEwan International about the documents you need to have to apply. You should apply for a co-op work permit 4-6 months before the start of your field placement, clinical practice or practicum as current IRCC processing times are lengthy.

Learn while doing

Gain work experience, apply the skills and knowledge you learn in class to a practical setting, study in another country, conduct research. Experiential learning can take you many directions. Find out what options are available for your program.

Experiential learning