Visiting Students are students from one post-secondary institution who attend a different post-secondary institution under terms and conditions outlined in a Letter of Permission.

MacEwan University students

If you are in a degree or diploma program at MacEwan University, you may take courses at other recognized universities for transfer credit, provided your faculty/school gives you approval.

You must apply for and be granted permission before starting an external course. The visiting student process is governed by the External Course Taking policy.

If approved for visiting student permission, you will receive a Letter of Permission from MacEwan University’s Office of the University Registrar. Without the Letter of Permission, transfer credit cannot be applied to your MacEwan University program of study.

Contact an academic advisor in your faculty or school for more information.

Faculty/School Advisors

Students from other institutions

If you are a program student at another Canadian post-secondary institution and wish to take a course at MacEwan University, follow these steps:

Search online for classes available to Open Studies students. Please ensure the course you want to take is available to you before paying the application fee.

Search Open Studies Courses

Restricted classes

The following Arts & Science courses are in high demand and are not available to visiting students during the Fall and Winter terms. These courses may be more accessible during the Spring/Summer term.

  • BIOL (all courses)
  • CHEM 101, 102
  • CMPT (all courses)
  • ENGL 199
  • MATH 100, 101, 102, 114
  • PHYS 130
  • PSYC 212, PSYC 300- and 400-level (all courses)
  • SOCI 300- and 400-level (all courses)

If there are other courses you want to take that are not offered through Open Studies, you make seek permission to enrol in restricted classes as a visiting student. Contact the faculty or school offering the course to learn if they are accepting enrolment from non-program students. When you contact the faculty or school, ensure that you identify yourself as a visiting student and let them know the name of your home institution.

You need a letter from your home institution that indicates the courses you have permission to take at MacEwan University and that you are a student in good academic standing. Generally, only students in good academic standing are considered for visiting student status.

Apply to the Open Studies program through ApplyAlberta. A non-refundable application fee is required.

Apply Now

Submit the Letter of Permission from your home institution to MacEwan University through myStudentSystem. Save your document as a PDF, JPG, JPEG, PNG, DOC or DOCX file.

  1. Log in to myPortal.MacEwan.ca using your Network ID and password.
  2. Launch myStudentSystem from the Quick Links menu.
  3. From your student homepage, Select My Documents.
  4. Select the Document Type from the dropdown menu: Visiting Student LOP
  5. Click Upload Document. A pop-up window will appear.
    • Click My Device to search for your file, or
    • Drag your file into the box
  6. Click Upload.

Once you are admitted, follow the enrolment process outlined on the Open Studies website.

Enrolment Process
Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar is the official annual record of academic programs and courses, graduation requirements and MacEwan regulations.