Immigration Overview & FAQs

At MacEwan International we can help you understand the immigration process and advise you on your applications for visas and permits. The following information is related to your experience as an international student at MacEwan University.

After you have reviewed the immigration information, connect with a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) or Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA) at MacEwan International. We offer free immigration consultations, advice and presentations on study permits, work options and eligibility, and pathways to permanent residence for students.

large question mark inside a circle

Frequently asked questions

If your immigration status in Canada requires you to obtain a study permit in order to pursue studies at MacEwan University, you are classified as an international student.

Immigration status and status changes

International tuition

Tuition fees are updated each year and published in MacEwan University’s Academic Calendar.

Academic Calendar // International Tuition

Term cost estimates

Costs for your university education include tuition fees, service fees, books and supplies. Use the cost estimator to find the approximate cost for a single term of study.

International cost estimate

Entrance scholarships

Through the Chancellor’s Scholarship Series, MacEwan offers entrance scholarships to newly admitted students based on previous academic achievement. 

You do not need to apply for the Chancellor’s Scholarship Series. If you meet the criteria and you are beginning studies in the Fall term, you are automatically considered. If you are successful, you receive notice with your offer of admission.

International Entrance Scholarships

Continuing scholarships

Continuing scholarships are available for international students in degree programs through the Chancellor’s Scholarship Series.

International Continuing Scholarships

Most international students need a study permit. Please refer to our study permit page for more information.

Studying in Canada

There is no specific timeframe mandated for your arrival in Canada before commencing your studies. You must arrive before the expiry date of your MacEwan Letter of Acceptance.

We recommend you arrive with time to prepare and settle into your new home. The pre-departure and arrival guide will give you an idea of the tasks you need to complete after you arrive and before classes start.

Pre-departure and arrival

While IRCC requires you to apply at least 30 days before the expiry date of your current status, we recommend applying 90 days before your study permit expires to allow ample time for gathering documentation and application processing.

Study permit extensions/renewals

MacEwan University certificates, diplomas and degrees that are delivered on campus are eligible for the post-graduation work permit (PGWP).

Working in Canada

Immigration advice can only be provided by Licensees of the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants (RCIC or RISIA) or lawyers in exchange for a fee or other benefits. MacEwan International has several licensed RCICs and RISIAs who can offer immigration advice to our students at no charge.

Contact Us

If your immigration status changes after admission, you must inform the Office of the University Registrar (OUR) and provide the necessary supporting documentation by the published deadlines.

Immigration status changes

You can only begin working in Canada once your study program has commenced. You are not permitted to work before starting your studies.

working in Canada

MacEwan’s privacy policy protects your private information. To grant access to a family member, or other third party, you must complete the Personal Information Disclosure Authorization form.

Personal Information Disclosure Authorization form

Immigration labs
If you are a current MacEwan University student, sign up for an immigration lab to complete your paperwork with help from an international student specialist.
Book an appointment
Events & Webinars
Every term, MacEwan’s international student specialists offer a variety of immigration sessions and webinars.
Events & Webinars
Connect with an Immigration Specialist
International students can direct immigration-related questions to an international student specialist at MacEwan International, or contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) directly.