Academic advisors work with you to understand your needs and help you make good decisions that lead to academic success. Meet with us online or face-to-face to get answers to your questions.

Are you preparing to apply OR considering a change in your studies? The Academic Advising Centre is your first stop.

Have you been offered admission and accepted your seat in a program OR are you a current program student? Academic advisors in your faculty or school provide support to you throughout your program.

Contact an academic advisor

admission preparation • understanding admission requirements • changing programs • understanding enrolment • connecting to university resources
Academic Advising Centre
program planning • course selection • transfer credit • prerequisites • special enrolment permissions • graduation requirements
Faculty/School Advising

Program planning

There is a lot to know as a Bachelor of Commerce student. Whether you have just applied or are in your last year, the information below will help you successfully navigate through your degree.

All Bachelor of Commerce students, regardless of which major and/or minor they choose, must complete some core requirements and electives. Use the degree planning sheet to ensure you choose courses that meet these requirements.

Degree planning sheet

Use the appropriate planning sheet for your major(s), minor(s) or honours discipline in combination with the degree planning sheet for core and elective requirements.

If you have not yet decided your major, don’t worry: the first two years of every major are very similar.



Out-of-school minors


Already declared?

Please ensure you are using the planning sheets and the Academic Calendar for the year you officially declare. Refer to the table below to determine which year's degree requirements you must adhere to.

If you declared... Declaration year Academic Calendar year
On or after September 1, 2020 and before or on February 15, 2021 2020 2020/21
On or after September 1, 2019 and before or on February 15, 2020 2019 2019/20
On or after September 1, 2018 and before or on February 15, 2019 2018 2018/19
On or after September 1, 2017 and before or on February 15, 2018 2017 2017/18

If you have taken post-secondary courses previously, some of those credits may qualify for transfer to this program.

Transfer credit assessment

The process for assessing transfer credit varies depending on where you took your courses. In all cases, your first step is to apply to the program. Transfer credit will only be assessed after you have been accepted.

Learn more about transfer credit assessment

Placement of your transfer credit

After your transfer credit has been evaluated and if you have questions about the assessment of the courses, book an appointment with an advisor. They can help you understand how the credits work towards your degree requirements.

Contact an advisor

To choose your courses you should first get your planning sheets and plan your degree. Consider the following as you plan:

Course load

Course Load refers to the number of credits taken in a term. When choosing how many courses you should take in a term, be aware of the following points. You may also want to review the first-year suggested sequencing of courses.

  • Each course in the B.Com. program is 3 credits
  • To be a full-time student, you must enrol in 9 credits per term
  • The maximum course load allowed in the B.Com. program is 15 credits per term
  • You must enrol in a minimum of 3 credits in an academic year to remain in the B.Com. program
  • You must enrol in a minimum of 3 credits in the first term you are accepted to the program

Course overload

Students may request permission to take more than five courses in a regular term or three courses during the Spring/Summer term if they present the following criteria:

  1. Present a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the previous term.
  2. Have completed a minimum of 24 university level credits;
  3. Have completed a full course load in previous term(s);
  4. Are in good academic standing;

To request this permission, please visit an academic advisor in the School of Business Student Services Centre. You will need to write a letter to the Associate Dean, Bachelor of Commerce, outlining the reason you are requesting the overload and your strategy for success.

Course information

The getting started guide will help you understand course descriptions, prerequisites and other common vocabulary and processes you need as you select and enrol in your courses.

Getting Started


You will enrol yourself in courses using myStudentSystem. To learn how, check out the guide.

Using myStudentSystem

Permission numbers (PN) allow you to enrol in certain restricted sections of a course through myStudentSystem. You may require a PN to enrol in a course because myStudentSystem does not recognize your transfer credit as the prerequisite or because the course belongs to another program.

Other Programs' Sections

Bachelor of Commerce students have access to courses with section numbers CC, AS, GS, and OP. Other programs may at some point open some of their courses to all students. However, permission numbers will only be issued for courses that fit into a program of study. Ask an advisor if you are uncertain about a course.

Requesting Permission Numbers

You can access this service two ways:

  1. At the School of Business Advising Services Office (room 5-238)
    If you require a permission number because your transfer credit has not been posted, please bring a copy of your previous transcript to advising services.
  2. From Your MacEwan University student email account
    Email from your MacEwan University student email account. Be sure to include the following information in the email:
    • Your full name
    • Your student ID number
    • The term you are requesting a section for (e.g., Fall 2017)
    • The course and section number you want to take (e.g., FREN 112 AS01)

According to the External Course Taking policy, you can apply to take courses towards your degree at another recognized post-secondary institution. In order to receive credit for courses taken at another institution, you must apply and be granted permission prior to starting the course.

N.B.: Students who enrol in and complete courses at another post-secondary institution without receiving prior permission will not be permitted to use these course credits for their degree or other credential at MacEwan University School of Business.

1. Apply for permission

To receive visiting student permission in the Bachelor of Commerce, students must:

  1. be in good academic standing (GPA of 2.0 or greater as of the previous term) at the time of application;
  2. ensure compliance with MacEwan University residency requirements;
  3. provide rationale for the request; and
  4. have successfully completed a minimum of 30 credits towards their degree.

2. Check with an advisor

It is critical that you speak with an advisor to find out whether the course you are requesting has already been assessed for transfer credit. If it has not been assessed, you will need to provide a course outline and request a transfer evaluation from the Transfer Unit in the Office of the University Registrar.

An academic advisor will review your application and then let you know if your request has been approved or denied by emailing your myMacEwan account. If your application is approved, the Office of the University Registrar will send a Letter of Permission (LOP) to your myMacEwan email account. Please keep this document.

3. Apply, enrol and complete your external course

MacEwan University has no role in your application, admission or registration at the host institution. It is your responsibility to complete these steps on your own through the host institution.

4. Submit your transcript by the deadline

For the credit to be transferred back to MacEwan University, you must achieve the minimum grade requirements stipulated in the Letter of Permission and submit an official transcript from the host institution to the Office of the University Registrar. All published MacEwan deadlines for enrollment and graduation must still be met.

If you begin but withdraw from or fail a course for which Visiting Student approval was granted, you must still submit an official transcript from the host institution to the Office of the University.

If you do not take a course for which Visiting Student approval was granted, you must inform your advisor in writing.

You must officially declare your major(s) after you are admitted to the program and prior to completing 60 credits towards your degree. You have the option of completing a second major, or one or two minors, provided you can satisfy elective requirements with that same coursework.


General majors/minors

Declarations for all majors and most minors are open from September 1 to February 15. Certain minors are considered competitive and will have an earlier closing date.

Competitive minors

Declarations for competitive minors are open from September 1 to January 15. There is a maximum number of students admitted in these disciplines. If you are applying for a competitive minor we recommend that you  prepare an alternate choice.

You will be told whether or not your application was successful by February 1. If you are not admitted into the competitive minor of your choice, use the general declaration process to choose an alternative.

Steps to declare

Log in to

Launch myStudentSystem

  1. Select Academic Records
  2. Navigate to Major/Minor Declaration in the menu
  3. Click on Submit New Request
  4. Select your chosen major(s) and minor(s)
  5. Read the acknowledgement statement and check off I Agree if you are in agreement
  6. Click Submit

You will receive notification of any declaration status changes via your MacEwan email and in myStudentSystem under Academic Records. To confirm your declaration has been processed correctly, confirm that it appears in the Major/Minor Declaration menu item.

Notes for all students

  • If you decide to change your major and minor, you can re-declare by repeating the process above. You will need to follow the requirements of the year you re-declare.
  • If you have to re-apply to the program, you are considered an undeclared student when you are re-admitted. You will need to re-declare.
  • You are responsible for confirming that your declaration has been updated by checking the Academics tab in myStudentSystem.
  • Students who have been admitted under a block transfer agreement or have completed a previous degree and are now working towards a subsequent bachelor degree are unable to declare their majors online. Please contact your program advisor for assistance.

It is very important to keep to keep track of your progress in the degree and to monitor your academic standing.

GPA & Academic Standing

The academic standing of all students is evaluated at the end of each term. You must maintain a grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 to be considered in Good Academic Standing. Students whose GPA falls below 2.0 may either be placed on Academic Probation or be Required to Withdraw.

Learn more about academic standing and grades

Review your Program Plan

To ensure you are on track for degree completion, review the program plan for your major located under the "Plan Your Degree" section on this page. Pay particular attention to the required components of the BCOM degree document, especially when you are selecting electives.

You may request a program check that will be completed by a Bachelor of Commerce Academic Advisor. This document will help you monitor your progress in the program and confirm that you are on track to graduate. We strongly encourage students who are approaching their final year of study to request a program check. The best time to do this is in the academic year preceding your final year, or in the summer months.

Request a program check

  1. Fill out the program check request form. You will be prompted to log in with your MacEwan credentials.
  2. Watch your myMacEwan Gmail account for notification that your program check is complete. A BCOM Advisor will highlight any issues and attach the document for your reference.
  3. If necessary, you may book an appointment to meet with an advisor to review your program check.

To receive your credential, you must apply to graduate by the deadline. You can find the application to graduate and deadlines in myStudentSystem.

Graduation requirements

To graduate you must complete all requirements and adhere to the regulations of the degree and MacEwan University. Consult the academic calendar for the year you were admitted to the program or, if applicable, the year you declared your major. The following requirements and regulations apply:

  • Bachelor of Commerce Degree Requirements
  • Bachelor of Commerce Degree Regulations
  • Institutional Graduation Regulations

Academic Calendar

Subsequent Baccalaureate Degree - BCom

If you already hold a recognized baccalaureate degree and are planning to graduate with an additional Bachelor of Commerce, you must adhere to the requirements listed above as well as those outlined in the Subsequent Baccalaureate Credential Policy

Convocation ceremony

MacEwan University holds two convocation ceremonies per year. If you complete your degree in December or April, you can convocate in June. If you complete your degree between May and August, you can convocate in November.

Learn more about Convocation

Contact us if you have questions

Book an appointment with an academic advisor or drop by the office with questions related to:

  • degree planning
  • declaring your major and/or minor
  • course selection
  • enrolment
  • university materials, services, and other help on campus

Academic support services

Get extra help when you need it. Whatever you choose to study, we have the learning spaces and academic supports you need to succeed.

Additional advising

Advisors are available to support you at different stages of your university experience.


Depending on your academic needs, these areas provide consultation, sessions and information related to course content. 

Technology and online learning

Is technology causing you problems? Are you struggling to figure out how to access or fully participate in your online courses? Help is close at hand. 

Equity, diversity, inclusion

A supportive environment contributes to success in the classroom. These offices are committed to supporting an equitable, diverse and inclusive campus experience for all students.

Office of the University Registrar

For help accessing student records, using MyStudentSystem, and learning about tuition and fees, visit the Office of the University Registrar.

Tuition, Fees, and More