The Administrative major provides you with the computer skills and business knowledge necessary to become an integral part of the business world. Technology is an essential part of this program. You are trained with current software programs to process and to manage information efficiently and perform many complex office functions.

The Office Assistant program of study consists solely of prescribed courses; you do not take electives or options. The courses must be completed in the order presented in the program of study. The schedule is set by the program and courses can only be completed in the term they are offered.

Courses & Requirements
Check the academic calendar to find the courses you need to take and the requirements you must fulfill to complete your program.
Academic Calendar

Work-integrated learning field placement

One of the benefits of the Office Assistant program is its work-integrated learning field placement component, which gives you hands-on experience in a real world setting. The field placement helps to make meaningful connections and may even lead to full-time work.

Students who have successfully completed their first and second terms and who are registered for courses in the third term are eligible for a field placement.

When you take the administrative major, you are required to take a placement with a duration of four weeks. We encourage you to take an active role in searching for your field placement—it is important practice for job searching after graduation.

International students

International students must have a co-op work permit before starting field placement, clinical practice or practicum. A co-op work permit is different from your study permit; it is an additional permit that authorizes international students to participate in work that is integral to their program of study. If you will be working with vulnerable populations in a health, community or medical field, you will need an up-to-date medical exam by an IRCC-approved panel physician before applying for a co-op work permit.

Ask MacEwan International about the documents you need to have to apply. You should apply for a co-op work permit 4-6 months before the start of your field placement, clinical practice or practicum as current IRCC processing times are lengthy.


Graduates are employed in a variety of private companies, government offices and non-profit associations in roles such as:

  • Administrative assistant
  • Word processing operator
  • Administrative professional
  • Executive assistant
  • Office assistant
Job Search. Career planning.
Access resources that will help you find the right job—while you're a student and after you graduate.
Book an appointment
Take credit for your work

All courses completed in this program are credit courses and may be transferable toward further study at post-secondary institutions in Alberta.