The legal major of the Office Assistant program provides the skills you need to work as a legal assistant in today’s competitive market.

You train on a variety of software packages to prepare for a challenging career in the legal field. As a graduate of the program, you become adept with technology, understand procedures in a law office, have a basic knowledge of law, and are able to work in time-sensitive situations.

The program of study for the legal major consists solely of core courses; you do not take electives or options. The core courses must be completed in the order presented in the program of study; that is, term one courses are taken only in the first term, and so on.

Courses & Requirements
Check the academic calendar to find out about the courses you need to take and the requirements you need to fulfill to complete your program.
Academic Calendar


One of the benefits of the Office Assistant program is its practicum component, which gives you hands-on experience in a real world setting. The practicum placement often helps you get your foot in the door and may even lead right to full-time work.

Students who have successfully completed their first and second terms and who are registered for Term III courses are eligible for a practicum placement.

The Legal major requires a practicum with a duration of four weeks. We encourage you to take an active role in searching for your practicum placements—it is important practice for job searching after graduation.


Graduates work as legal assistants in law and government offices as well as private industry. Graduates of this program have the skills to work in general business offices as well.

Job Search. Career planning.
Access resources that will help you find the right job—while you're a student and after you graduate.
Book an appointment

Further study

Students interested in the Office Assistant Legal major may also be interested in the Paralegal Studies diploma, which could also lead into a four-year degree.

Paralegal Studies