Getting Started

To ensure a smooth transition into your life as a post-secondary student, you need to complete a few introductory tasks. Use the Getting Started checklist to take your first steps as a new MacEwan University student.

As soon as you apply is the university's student portal, where you can find links to several online applications and tools for students, such as:

  • Your MacEwan University student email account (Gmail)
  • myStudentSystem: To track your application, search for and enrol in classes, pay fees and manage personal information
  • paskwâwi-mostos mêskanâs: for online components of your courses
  • Library: To search for books, articles and more
  • Scholarships: To search for criteria on available scholarships, bursaries and awards
  • Technology Support: For troubleshooting help
  • Access and Disability Resources: Information on resources and services for students with disabilities, including setting up an appointment with a Learning Specialist to discuss accommodations

Username and password

Your Network ID and a temporary password were sent to the email account listed on your application to MacEwan University. You will have been prompted to change your password the first time you logged in. Use your Network ID and password to log in to

If you have lost your Network ID, you will need to visit Technology Support in person. Please bring picture ID. If you need to reset your password, use the "Forgot Password" link on the login page of

You are automatically assigned a student email account when you apply to your program. This email is offered through Gmail but will end in Access your email account through

It is crucial that you check this account regularly. You must send all emails to MacEwan University faculty and staff from your MacEwan University student email account, and all email communication from MacEwan University will be sent to this account.

Meet with a financial advisor

There are a number of ways to finance your education, but it is important to plan and apply early. If you need help finding the funds to pay for university, contact a financial aid advisor. They assist students with everything from finding funding to planning a student budget. If you need information about student loans, or accessing RESPs or scholarships, awards and bursaries, visit Fees and Financial Information.

Search scholarships, awards and bursaries

For some scholarships, awards and bursaries, you will need to be enrolled in your classes before you can apply. However, now is a good time to review requirements and see what you may be eligible for. You may need to complete work experience, gather references or write an essay—all things that you can get started on before classes begin. Take this time to review the grades or work you'll need to qualify for scholarships in subsequent years of your studies.

You can search our scholarships, awards and bursaries to see what you may be eligible for. Information on how to apply will be on the details page of each award. You will also be notified within myStudentSystem when awards you may be eligible for are open for application.

Access and Disability Resources (ADR)

Two to four months prior to the start of class, make an appointment with Access and Disability Resources to discuss appropriate accommodations with a Learning Specialist. When you come to your first appointment, bring documentation of your disability and/or medical condition.



Parking at MacEwan University is available on an hourly, daily or monthly basis at all campuses. Availability is limited so you will need to apply early. Rates, parking locations and application processes are available through Parking Services.



MacEwan Residence is located at City Centre Campus and offers bachelor, 2- and 4-bedroom, as well as barrier-free suites. If you plan to live in residence during your time at MacEwan University, apply early.

For pricing, floor plans and to apply online, visit the Residence website.


After you’re accepted

New students

Be sure you have followed the steps to confirm your admission and pay your admission confirmation deposit by the deadline indicated in your offer letter. Many programs will contact you after you have paid your admission confirmation deposit to provide planning resources or invite you to an academic planning session.

Continuing students

The following programs require students to declare a major:

  • Bachelor of Arts
  • Bachelor of Commerce
  • Bachelor of Communication Studies
  • Bachelor of Music
  • Bachelor of Science

Students returning after an absence

If you have been away from the university for 12 consecutive months or more without an approved leave of absence, you must re-apply to your program of choice through ApplyAlberta.

Get to know the academic advisors in your faculty or school. They are available to answer your questions about specific courses and help you with program planning. Visit your program's website for program planning resources and contact academic advisors in your faculty or school when you have specific questions about your program of study and what courses to take in your first year.

Your program of study

The program of study outlines each program’s structure by term and year. It is the group of courses you must complete in order to graduate. Some programs specify every course you will take during your studies and others also require electives or options. Throughout your studies, you will follow the program of study outlined in the Academic Calendar for the year you were admitted to the program or the year you declared your major or minor. New students need to consult with their program to confirm the planning process.

Additional planning resources

  • Watch your MacEwan University email for communication from your program
  • Attend an academic planning session if your program offers one
  • Check your program website for planning materials or program of study information
  • Consult an advisor in your program if you have questions. Contact information is listed on each program website.

Some information you may find helpful in the planning process:

Course descriptions

Course descriptions provide you with a brief overview of what you will study in a course, its credit value and its prerequisites. Course descriptions are available in myStudentSystem and in the Academic Calendar. The course description legend breaks down the structure of a course description.

Prerequisites and co-requisites

A prerequisite is a course that must be successfully completed prior to attempting a specific course. The course description may also list co-requisites. A co-requisite is a course that must be taken in the same term if it has not been completed previously.

Course load (or credit load)

Course load refers to the number of credits taken in a term. When choosing how many courses you should take in a term, consider the following:

  • To be a full-time student for the purpose of student loans, you must enrol in 9 credits in a fall or winter term or 5 credits in a spring or summer term
  • Certain scholarships, awards and bursaries have specific credit load requirements
  • Maximum and minimum course load requirements vary by program. Consult an advisor if you are unsure.
Repeating credit courses

According to Policy C1035 (Repeating Credit Courses), you can repeat any credit course only once. Course withdrawals (W) and Audits (AU) do not count as course attempts.

If you have taken post-secondary courses previously, either at MacEwan University or at another institution, your transcript must be reviewed before these courses can be used towards your program of study.

All transfer credit from other post-secondary institutions is assessed after you are admitted to your program. The Office of the University Registrar coordinates external transfer credit review and this process can take months to complete.

Review the process for transfer credit assessment so that you understand what to expect and can plan accordingly. You will need to check your MacEwan University email account for requests from the Transfer Credit unit in the Office of the University Registrar.

Transfer credit assessment & reports

Request permission numbers

You may require a permission number (PN) to enrol in a course if myStudentSystem does not recognize your transfer credit as a prerequisite or because your transfer credit has not yet been evaluated when you are ready to enrol in your classes. Your program will determine if you are eligible for a permission number. Contact your program to submit a request.

Review your transfer credit with an advisor

Once your transfer credit has been assessed, book an appointment with an advisor in your program. They will help you understand how the credits fit into your program of study.

Start planning before your enrolment date

You can begin enrolling in classes on or after your enrolment date. It is a good idea to plan your schedule in advance by using the shopping cart feature. The shopping cart generally opens one week prior to the first enrolment date. Your shopping cart is a planning tool and does not hold your spot in a class or represent your final enrolment. You need to click on the "finish enrolling" button to add these courses to your official term schedule.

Use myStudentSystem to enrol

Check out the step-by-step instructions for using myStudentSystem for guidance on how to find your enrolment date, add or drop classes and confirm your final schedule.

Some terms and information you need to know:

Section numbers

A section number corresponds to the specific time and days a course is being offered. For example, ENGL 102 is a course. There are many different classes of this course running during each term. The section number tells you which class you are enrolling in on specific days and at a specific time.

Prerequisite checking in myStudentSystem

When you enrol, myStudentSystem will check for post-secondary prerequisites. If you have the prerequisite but myStudentSystem is preventing you from enrolling, contact your program immediately.

You may be withdrawn from a course at any time if you start the course without the prerequisite or co-requisite. Credit for that course may be withheld. You may enrol in a course in the winter term and complete the prerequisite course in the fall term. However, if you withdraw or fail to successfully complete the prerequisite course, you must remove yourself from the winter term course immediately.

Labs, seminars, field placements

Certain courses have a lecture and a lab component or a separate seminar or field placement component. You must enrol in all components of a course. To find out if a course has other components, check the course description. Course descriptions are available in myStudentSystem and in the Academic Calendar. The course description legend breaks down the structure of a course description.

Withdrawing from courses

The deadlines listed in the Academic Schedule for adding, dropping and withdrawing from courses are strictly adhered to. Non-attendance in a course does not constitute a withdrawal from a course.

A term enrolment and account summary lists your courses, credits, schedule, room numbers and start dates. It includes a breakdown of tuition and fees charged for the term.

In many cases, you can use your term enrolment and account summary to confirm your status as a student. If you are moving to Alberta from another country and have updated your address with MacEwan University, you can also use the summary as proof of residency to apply for your Alberta Personal Health Card.

Access your term enrolment and account summary online and make a copy for your records.

  1. Log in to using your Network ID and password.
  2. Launch myStudentSystem from the Quick Links menu.
  3. From your student homepage, select Manage Classes, Fees or Financial Aid (the same information is produced in all three locations).
  4. Click on Enrollment and Account Summary in the menu.
  5. Select a term from the list.
  6. A PDF will open in a new window. Ensure you have turned off your pop-up blocker.

Additional verification documents

If you require more formal documentation, you may print a verification of enrolment or verification of credentials through myStudentSystem or request a confirmation letter from the Office of the University Registrar.

Verification Documents

You are responsible for checking and adhering to all posted dates/deadlines and university policies.

Dates and deadlines

The Academic Schedule lists all the important dates and deadlines for the coming academic year including when classes start, tuition deadlines, add/drop deadlines, withdrawal deadlines and exam periods.

University policies

You must check the University Policies that affect your program including:

  • Refunds of Tuition and Student Fees (E2112)
  • Grading (C2020)
  • Academic Standing (C2070)
  • Repeating Credit Courses
  • Final Assessment (C2005)
  • Admissions
  • Student Academic Integrity
  • Student Non-Academic Misconduct


You will find excerpts from key policies in the Academic Calendar.

Academic Calendar

The authoritative source for official course descriptions and the rules and regulations that apply to MacEwan University students is the Academic Calendar.

Before classes start

The MacEwan Card is the official student identification and library card. Get your card from the library before classes start.

You can search for your textbooks online. To find the correct textbooks, you must know the courses and sections you are enrolled in. You can see which sections you are enrolled in on myStudentSystem.

You can purchase your books online or buy them at the bookstore on campus.

The U-Pass is provided by the Students' Association of MacEwan University (SAMU). It gives you access to Edmonton, Strathcona County, St. Albert, Leduc, Fort Saskatchewan, Spruce Grove, and Beaumont transit services for every term you are registered in at least one credited in-person or hybrid class.

You can add the U-Pass to a new or existing Arc Card each term using myStudentSystem.

Not all students are eligible for the U-Pass

Students who are taking all classes online or those who are in non-credit classes, including international students in a School of Continuing Education Professional Development certificate program, are not eligible for the U-pass.

Learn more about the U-Pass and the Arc Card from SAMU.


You may register and pay for your locker online.

  1. Choose your locker and make note of the building and locker number. Any empty locker without a "Reserved" sticker is available.
  2. Place a lock on it. Do not leave your locker without a lock at any time. If you remove your lock, the locker is considered vacated and will become available for another student.
  3. Register and pay for your locker online on the day that you begin using it. Only credit cards are accepted for payment. Locker fees are charged per term and are non-refundable.


Find locker fees under "Other Fees" in the Academic Calendar. MacEwan reviews and approves all fees annually.


The items in lockers that are unregistered or unpaid for may be discarded or donated. It is your responsibility to remove your lock and the contents of your locker at the end of the registration period.

MacEwan University is not responsible for items stored in lockers.

New student orientation

Visit for details on new student and parent orientations, as well as welcome events on campus at the start of term.

International student orientation

An orientation tailored specifically for new international students takes place during the first week of classes. All new international students receive an invitation.

Program events

Individual programs may also hold events for new and returning students. Watch your MacEwan University email for an invitation.

Access and Disability Resources welcome event

Access and Disability Resources (ADR) hosts an annual Welcome Event in the Fall term, approximately a week prior to the start of classes. Learn tips and strategies from other students on how to transition to ADR services at MacEwan University and meet members of the ADR team.

Find out what you owe

Find your account balance or access your Term Enrollment and Account Summary in myStudentSystem. If you adjust your enrolment, these amounts are adjusted overnight.

Using myStudentSystem

Make a payment

You can make a secure payment on your account through myStudentSystem. If you prefer not to pay online, there are several other ways to make a payment.

If you are paying by student loan, don't pay twice! MacEwan University requests that your tuition be sent to us directly from your student loan. You only need to make a payment if your loan funding does not cover the entire amount of your tuition or if you are only receiving grants. Check the "View my loans" link in myStudentSystem to see how much money will be paid to the university from your loans.


You must pay your outstanding tuition and fees before the payment deadline listed in the academic schedule.

If you do not pay your fees by the deadline, you are assessed monthly interest charges, have a registration hold placed on your student record and are at risk of being withdrawn from classes.

A number of resources, processes and systems are in place to help you stay safe on campus.

SAFE@MacEwan app

Download the SAFE@MacEwan app from your preferred app store, so you can use safety features and access safety resources from your phone.

Text alerts

To receive text alerts about emergencies on campus, text MACEWAN to 723389. You can stop receiving alerts, at any time, by texting STOP to 723389. 

Add Security Services to your contacts list

The security services team responds to a range of situations on campus: lost and found items, suspicious activity, potentially dangerous conditions, threats to personal safety and emergencies such as fire or extreme weather. Add security services contacts to your phone for easy access. Contacts are listed on the Safe at MacEwan website.

Safe at MacEwan website

SAMU offers a student health and dental plan. You can add a family member or opt out of the plan if you already have comparable health coverage.